Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Hemostats/Forceps Do You Use Them?

From Media Pa
I regularly lose a set a year. The Prof says they are not necessary if you know how to take fish off. I think they are invaluable.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 17:33

Re: Hemostats/Forceps Do You Use Them?

From Landenberg, PA
i use hybrids - scissors and hemo's in one.

nothing like them for a fish hooked in the gullet when streamer fishing.

also useful for pressing down barbs, i also have a hook eye clearer on mine:

Resized Image

they are also bloody necessary if you hook your sweater, bag, bag strap, hat or net and don't crimp the barb enough.

i keep mine on an orvis retractor so i don't lose them.

Mark.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 17:42

From Media Pa
Geebee:I just lost the ones on the left at Muddy this weekend

Posted on: 2013/9/30 17:57

From NE OH
I order the cheap Pakistan made hemostats off of Ebay for about $1 a pair. They are usually sold in lots of 10. For a buck, you can afford to loose a pair now and then

Never seen forceps for removing hooks from fish. Hemostats and forceps are not even sort of the same thing.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 17:59

From "THE VILLE"
I use WJ hemocuts. Probably
The best hemostates made in my opinion. They cut just about anything.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 18:32
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From South Lebanon Township, PA
I use them...at least once an outing if I'm into a fair number of fish. Just makes life easier on you and the fish sometimes depending on how they're hooked.

I lose them too...maybe a pair every other year or so. I just clamp them to a strap on my bag and they get knocked or pulled off once in a while I guess and I don't notice until the next time I need them. I've found two pairs while fishing too...one was rusted and no longer usable, the other was banged up a bit but still in usable condition. They're now in my bag as a backup. Weird thing is where I found them...both were on steep, remote streams you wouldn't expect to see a lot of anglers on.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 19:21

From SCPA
I use cheap ones as well. Can't seem to keep ahold of any pair for very long. The grass along the letort seems to eat many things of mine. Most of the time I use them more for yanking flies out of my clothing more than fish, though I do use them for their intended meaning frequently. A must have for me.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 20:25

From Media Pa
I do have to relate a funny story. When I lost my Dr. Slicks this weekend I went to my local CVS to see if they sold them. All the youngsters who worked there had no idea what I was talking about. When I google imaged the hemostats for them they said they did't sell "roach clips" at C V S!

Posted on: 2013/9/30 20:32

From Ferguson Twp.
I carry a pair with me, I hardly ever use them. But when you need them for that occasional fish that takes a fly just a wee bit too far back they're nice to have.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 20:34

From Ferguson Twp.
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
I do have to relate a funny story. When I lost my Dr. Slicks this weekend I went to my local CVS to see if they sold them. All the youngsters who worked there had no idea what I was talking about. When I google imaged the hemostats for them they said they did't sell "roach clips" at C V S!

That is funny, just shows the difference in mind set. I went into a right aid to buy pipe cleaners to clean my Springfield and got carded, for pipe cleaners!

Posted on: 2013/9/30 20:38

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I keep a pair of Dr. Slicks hemos strapped to my WillyJ confluence pack with zingers. I RARELY need to use them due to barbless hooks.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 20:42

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Maytown, PA
I actually lost a pair on the Donegal, the summer of the big flood Was it Tropical storm Lee? and after the flood was down there checking out the damage and doing a little fishing and found them in a new gravel bar. Usually just get the cheep ones, but I keep them on a retractor now and haven't lost any since. Used to just keep them clipped onto a strap. I like them for removing tiny flies and ones inside the mouth. Not as much trauma as trying to get my big fingers in there.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 21:30

From Media Pa
Keep it coming guys. Tired of the Prof's elistist attitude.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 21:45

I am surprised to hear so few people use them.
i have about 4 cheap pairs and lose one a month just about.

i use cheap ones since i like to use them for tying on flies, and this is easier when not attached to a retractor.

i can clamp the hemostats on the hook bend, thread the eye, give the hemostats a spin and i have a fast clinch knot with lots of turns.

also a must-have when i go fishing near home for sunfish since they hit the hoppers and poppers so hard and inhale.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 23:22

From Dallastown, PA
I have a pair attached to a zinger and I clamp them on the underside of my sling pack to keep them out of the way. Since I started using the zinger I have not lost a pair.

I do not debarb my hooks and try to pop the fly out with my fingers first. If its a tough one I use the hemos...actually a sort of plier. It never takes more than 15 or twenty seconds.

I find hemos a few times a year along the stream. I give them away.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 0:14

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com