Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Hemostats/Forceps Do You Use Them?

From Ohio
I use them. Hemos are invaluable. I use the cheap ones. I keep them on an old shoe lace that I use as a lanyard that also has a pair of nippers on it. While walking I tuck the tools into my shirt pocket or front of my waders to keep from losing them. This way, they don't fall in the water when they pop off.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 7:02

From Gettysburg
I like hemos and find them helpful when unhooking trout that have taken very small flies. If you fish for sunfish, as I do, you'll definitely want them as sunnies will take flies deep and their small mouths can be hard to get your fingers into.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 7:48

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I use them.

I have 2 remaining pair. I got them free for a long time, and the reason why is prime fodder for those who complain of excesses in the medical world.

After surgeries, they are discarded instead of re-used. Yes, they can be cleaned and re-used, they're stainless steel afterall. But they don't do that. Because some bean counter calculated that the danger of improperly cleaning and sterilizing would result in litigation much greater than just continually opening new ones out of sealed packages from the supplier in the operating room.

So the discarded ones go in a pile to be sent in for scrap. My mother worked in a hospital, knew we used them, and well, brought many pairs home for free. I have 2 pair left. She retired. So when I lose these I'm outta luck.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 7:59

From Ohio
The single piece of gear I lose most. I used to buy them from fly shops but actually have been getting them from menards now. Very cheap. I carry one small one, one extra long one, and a backup that I keep in the pack in case I lose both...which I have done before.

Im not a huge fan of zingers, I always seem to break them, or they pop off my pack and are directly responsible for me losing hemos.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 8:34

From Lancaster Co.
Mine probably get used more to crimp splitshot than to remove hooks. Never the less, I consider them an essential piece of fishing equipment.

I tried a pair of the mitten clamps once. Didn't like them and went back to hemos.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 8:52

From Denver
I always carry a pair. I usually don't need them, but occasionally even my barbless hooks need a little extra torque.

My girlfriend is a surgical physician assistant. Over the last year, she has supplied me with enough hemos, in just about every shape and size one could desire, to last a life time. When she was still in school, she did a rotation in MT. After she mentioned that I fished, the Dr.'s there (regulars on the Bighorn) made her take home several pairs for me to try out.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 12:18

From Philadelphia
Wouldn't be without them, though I only use them when I have a hook inside the lip of a fish. then they're invaluable!
Coughlin

Posted on: 2013/10/1 14:11

I use them for removing hooks from fish, and occasionally from people. And for use on split shot.

Let's see now, is it using, or not using, hemostats that is "elitist?"

The interjection of the "elitist" thang into a discussion of hemostats gave me a chuckle.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 14:55

From Luzerne County, PA
They are around my neck on a lanyard with my nippers and license. If the fish has the hook completely inside his mouth what else are you going to use?

I also use them for crimping split shot, they lock and can hold a hook while you tie something, very useful.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 15:12

From North East PA
I use them regularly, sometimes to remove "barbless" hooks from my own finger (right Fox?).

Also to mash barbs down on hooks, snug shot on the leader, as well as taking fish off the hook.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 16:04

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From OH
Like and use them.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 16:51

From lebanon, pa
On the same pair for the last decade or so. Use them mainly to tie on and equally as much to remove flies from fish. I would be lost without them.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 21:00

From Media Pa
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
I have a pair attached to a zinger and I clamp them on the underside of my sling pack to keep them out of the way. Since I started using the zinger I have not lost a pair.

I do not debarb my hooks and try to pop the fly out with my fingers first. If its a tough one I use the hemos...actually a sort of plier. It never takes more than 15 or twenty seconds.

I find hemos a few times a year along the stream. I give them away.

Maurice you are a genius. Bought the zinger today and can see how I will never lose another hemo. Please keep your eyes out for my Dr Slicks. Thanks fade out

Posted on: 2013/10/1 21:54

From SW PA (Pittsburgh Area)
I've been using mine to mainly to pinch down barbs but I think i'm just going to get a small pair of pliers. Hemos don't work as well, at least the kind I have...

Posted on: 2013/10/1 22:38

From Bel Air, MD
I carry them, the kind with the curved end. I mostly use them for warm water fishing when I don't necessarily fish barbless. I use the curved end to tie my surgeons loop - stick the curved end through the loop to guide the ends through. Saves from having to use a long tag end, and waste a lot of leader. Rarely use them on a trout stream since I fish barbless - but like others have said, sometimes a trout will take a streamer deeper that normal, when drifting buggers. For stripping streamers, the hook is almost always in the corner of the mouth.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 22:43

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com