Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Help me update my gear

Ha, yeah I don't know where the advice has come from, but I've heard it multiple times. I guess it makes sense in that there isn't a tremendous amount of difference between a 5wt and 6wt etc. this is if you want to be the most economical.

I can agree with the price comment to an extent. I haven't fished a ton of rods, but my $120 rod was much better than my $50 rod. In the same vein, the $300 was better and the $750 is the best. If you get into a dollar:performance discussion then I agree that there is diminishing returns across the spectrum.

I'm flipping a bit on the 10' length. I was steelheading today and landing fish by yourself on a 10' rod with a 10' leader is awfully difficult. That might be just for big fish, but I was stretching big time to get them within net striking distance.

Posted on: 12/22 22:12

From Burke VA
Quote:

pwk5017 wrote:
Ha, yeah I don't know where the advice has come from, but I've heard it multiple times. I guess it makes sense in that there isn't a tremendous amount of difference between a 5wt and 6wt etc. this is if you want to be the most economical.

I can agree with the price comment to an extent. I haven't fished a ton of rods, but my $120 rod was much better than my $50 rod. In the same vein, the $300 was better and the $750 is the best. If you get into a dollar:performance discussion then I agree that there is diminishing returns across the spectrum.

I'm flipping a bit on the 10' length. I was steelheading today and landing fish by yourself on a 10' rod with a 10' leader is awfully difficult. That might be just for big fish, but I was stretching big time to get them within net striking distance.

I'm a little confused on that last part. You feel like it would be easier to land a fish with a 9 foot rod and a 10 foot leader? I feel like a longer rod is an advantage in that situation.

Posted on: 12/22 23:32

From Gettysburg
Shorter rods are better for fighting and landing fish.

Posted on: 12/23 9:49

From Burke VA
I've never really noticed a difference between long and short for landing fish by myself. Then again I'm not a steelheader.

Posted on: 12/23 14:35

From York
I got a 10' rod for steelhead a few years ago. I've had no problems landing or fighting. I like it every bit as much and maybe more than the 9' rod I was using.

Posted on: 12/23 16:59

From Dallastown, PA
Ya either need a longer net handle or do like I do and yank em into the shallows and get in front of them, wrestle them into submission.

Seriously, unless you are catching 20” fish I ain’t buying the “rod length makes a difference”argument. And then I say longer is better. It cushions the abrupt surges and runs to also helps a bit to get the rod below the fish’s head when downstream to apply side pressure. In addition during a quick run toward you it can pick up line faster than a 9 footer.

I don’t see a downfall to the 10’ rod for steelheading or landing big fish. Plus, when nymphing it is a great advantage reaching across currents and mending.

So focus your rod length on catching the fish first, then consider the landing downfalls if any.

My set up is a 10’ 7wt and 10’ 6 weight. I far prefer them over the 9’ 7 wt I started with. But it was a tip flex and I used to break fish off trying to turn them, just not so much anymore.

Posted on: 12/25 19:37

I am with Dave w. I think a shorter rod makes it easier to fight and land fish. I see a noticeable difference landing fish between an 8 and 9 foot rod let alone a 10.

I often fish 12 foot leaders and I never use a net unless I'm in a boat so I think that makes a big difference. This is also why i cut the loops off my fly line and nail knot my leader to my fly line. I have no problem getting the nail knot through the guides.

I used a 10 foot rod for steelhead for a long time but I've switched to a 9 footer and only use a 10 with sinking line. I don't nymph for steelhead anymore but I agree a 10 foot rod is much better for that than a 9 foot rod.

Posted on: 12/25 20:24

From Downingtown Pa
Is there anyone that bought a 4wt. 10ft. and regretted it because it was too long to fish with?

Posted on: 12/25 22:23

From Chester County
Here's a Helios 10' 4wt on sale here by a member for $350, if anyone is interested.

Posted on: 12/26 11:00

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com