Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Help me pick!

From harrisburg, pa
I am trying to justify to myself and my wife a purchase of an Angler Kayak. Seeing a few that would work (sit on and sit in).

Is it worth the purchase if I can get one for $400 if I have to find a roof rack too?

Posted on: 2013/2/9 17:48

Re: Help me pick!

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
I'd spend up to a grand on one. Really just another tool that you use to help catch more fish. Sit on top is the way to go. There is another thread about kayaks just scrole down.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 18:27

From Upper Bucks
If you're just diving in, I'd suggest going used if you're on a budget. Sit on tops are easier to fish from and easier to get in and out of.
The roof rack will depend on what vehicle you have. Even with the average sedan, there are inexpensive options.
If you want to go with a new kayak and keep the costs down, keep an eye out for the Perception Pescador which is basically an older Wilderness Tarpon rebadged and sold in stores like Dicks, Gander Mountain, and West Marine. The Percetion Caster is also a great option. These stores often have them on sale and may even offer free shipping to the store if they do not have them in stock.
I've seen them sell for under $500 at times.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 18:28

From harrisburg, pa
Thanks. I had seen the one at Gander Mountain and thought for the money it would be great. My wife has other plans... she thinks I should rent one and see what I think of fishing from a kayak before purchasing...

I just want to fish

Posted on: 2013/2/9 22:16

From Harrisburg
Dear Rob,

Actually, your wife might not have a bad idea.

I'm not saying that you don't want to get a kayak or that you won't enjoy fishing from one, but trying before you buy is often a good idea.

And as far as a rack for your car goes you can almost double your budget of $ 400.00 for a kayak on a rack for your car if you go with Thule or Yakima. The cost depends alot on what model of car you are looking to equip.

There are knock off's of those brands, and there are also $ 40.00 or $ 50.00 foam block kits available that will work just fine if you are good with knots and rigging.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/2/9 23:47
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From York, PA
Quote:

TimMurphy wrote:
And as far as a rack for your car goes you can almost double your budget of $ 400.00 for a kayak on a rack for your car

Or you can google "car roof rack" and get a cheap one. From $20 you can get a good one and adjust the straps yourself..... no foam, actually two full length racks. It will fit any car?

I use a $20 rack, and it works great!

Posted on: 2013/2/10 0:06

From harrisburg, pa
Thanks. I had dinner with a friend who Kayaks. He said the same thing. I hate to wait but I think trying before I buy may be a good bet...

Posted on: 2013/2/10 9:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com