Help me pick!

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

I am trying to justify to myself and my wife a purchase of an Angler Kayak. Seeing a few that would work (sit on and sit in).

Is it worth the purchase if I can get one for $400 if I have to find a roof rack too?

I'd spend up to a grand on one. Really just another tool that you use to help catch more fish. Sit on top is the way to go. There is another thread about kayaks just scrole down.

If you're just diving in, I'd suggest going used if you're on a budget. Sit on tops are easier to fish from and easier to get in and out of.
The roof rack will depend on what vehicle you have. Even with the average sedan, there are inexpensive options.
If you want to go with a new kayak and keep the costs down, keep an eye out for the Perception Pescador which is basically an older Wilderness Tarpon rebadged and sold in stores like Dicks, Gander Mountain, and West Marine. The Percetion Caster is also a great option. These stores often have them on sale and may even offer free shipping to the store if they do not have them in stock.
I've seen them sell for under $500 at times.

Thanks. I had seen the one at Gander Mountain and thought for the money it would be great. My wife has other plans... she thinks I should rent one and see what I think of fishing from a kayak before purchasing...

I just want to fish

Dear Rob,

Actually, your wife might not have a bad idea.

I'm not saying that you don't want to get a kayak or that you won't enjoy fishing from one, but trying before you buy is often a good idea.

And as far as a rack for your car goes you can almost double your budget of $ 400.00 for a kayak on a rack for your car if you go with Thule or Yakima. The cost depends alot on what model of car you are looking to equip.

There are knock off's of those brands, and there are also $ 40.00 or $ 50.00 foam block kits available that will work just fine if you are good with knots and rigging.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

TimMurphy wrote:
And as far as a rack for your car goes you can almost double your budget of $ 400.00 for a kayak on a rack for your car

Or you can google "car roof rack" and get a cheap one. From $20 you can get a good one and adjust the straps yourself..... no foam, actually two full length racks. It will fit any car?

I use a $20 rack, and it works great!

Thanks. I had dinner with a friend who Kayaks. He said the same thing. I hate to wait but I think trying before I buy may be a good bet...

Back