Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Help choosing fishpond pack for montana trip

From SEPA
Someone's got a shooting star in the swap forums right now.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 10:50

If you expect to do much wade fishing a shorty vest is the ticket-many times I was within a couple of inches of reaching wader tops.You won't need to carry that many flies unless you are hitting the spring creeks.
Safety hint -don't angle downstream on bars as it can get very deep on downstream side and scary going back upstream.Sidle upstream.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 11:23

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
HE WANTS A FISHPOND! NEXT!!!

Seriously though that Allen is IDENTICAL to the Fishpond Open Range Tech Pack. It HAS to come off the same assembly line. Wsender has the Fishpond brand and Miller has the Allen brand. They were both at the Salmon River this Winter. They are identical. Cargo volume on the rear seems acceptable. The Allen would be my choice if I were in the market for that type of vest.

True story. I thought Miller actually had the same pack as me, but he had the Allen. I would have bought the Allen if I didn't get a smoking deal on fishpond.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 14:49

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I have the Allen pack vest. Its a dead ringer for a Fishpond Wasatch. Great Pack! Can't beat it for the money.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 19:42

So Allens is good quality stuff?? Looks interesting on their website, but not too many views or info on how large it is...

Posted on: 2011/1/28 19:43

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I'm a large man. The straps allow a large range of adjustment. This pack may be a little large for a very small person.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 12:40

From York County
Jdaddy:
Quote:
He wants to buy a pack. No matter how much logic you throw out there, dude wants to buy a cool pack. There is nothing wrong with this.

Kinda brings me back to the thread I started a while ago, "The right backpack - fishing /hiking /photo."

I wanted to hear suggestions, and Gfen being somewhat eccectric I think, suggested I go out all commando wearing the alice system the troops use. I really just wanted a new, cool looking, comfortable, all around pack and did get some good suggestions and conversation from it. But overall, you pretty much get set on what you really want, in the end it's up to you and all that is said on topic is good to know anyway.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 15:33

For those of you who own these types of packs, do you use them all the time you fish? Or just when you are doing longer treks, when you need to be carrying food, water, raincoats, etc.?

And then do you have another lighter weight setup for when you are fishing something close to the car, such as the Little Lehigh?

Do these packs weigh very much?

And if so, do you switch everything back and forth? tippet, shot, fly boxes, hemostats, etc., etc.

My old green Orvis vest is in tatters and it pulls on the shoulders too.

Trying to find the perfect (and simple) system. I do a lot of backcountry fishing. Need room for raincoat, water bottle, fleece jacket, food, camera, fishing stuff.

But I also often just hit Spring Cr for the evening sulphur hatch and don't need a lot of stuff then.

Would prefer to have one pack/vest to use all the time, rather than switching back and forth.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 22:26

From Central Maryland
troutbert, if I were you, I would get a chest pack and a backpack. You have a lot of options this way. You can get just about any sized chest pack that you need and a small, lightweight backpack to hold food and a rain jacket. Fishpond sells a pair together, but you can buy them separately as long as they don't interfere with one another on your chest. Your best bet is a smaller chest pack if you're gonna go this route.

http://fishpondusa.com/piney-creek-tech-pack.cfm

http://fishpondusa.com/tundra-tech-pack.cfm

Posted on: 2011/1/29 22:56

From SEPA
Quote:

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
I wanted to hear suggestions, and Gfen being somewhat cooler than jesus I think, suggested I go out all commando wearing the alice system the troops use...But overall, you pretty much get set on what you really want, in the end it's up to you and all that is said on topic is good to know anyway.

you had some sort of requirement i was compelled to meet.

and you're right, buy whatever youw ant and you'll like it. if you don't like it, don't buy it. its how you end up with the most satisfaction in a deal.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 23:47

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
For those of you who own these types of packs, do you use them all the time you fish? Or just when you are doing longer treks, when you need to be carrying food, water, raincoats, etc.?

And then do you have another lighter weight setup for when you are fishing something close to the car, such as the Little Lehigh?

And if so, do you switch everything back and forth? tippet, shot, fly boxes, hemostats, etc., etc.

Trying to find the perfect (and simple) system. I do a lot of backcountry fishing. Need room for raincoat, water bottle, fleece jacket, food, camera, fishing stuff.

But I also often just hit Spring Cr for the evening sulphur hatch and don't need a lot of stuff then.

Would prefer to have one pack/vest to use all the time, rather than switching back and forth.

I have a Willy J Confluence and the Willy J Escape Backpack with dual front compartments. I tend to switch back and forth depending on where I am going, the season, and how much I need to carry. I find switching my stuff back and forth takes no longer then 10 minutes at home. Though, I am new and do not have as much FF crap as you guys do.

Posted on: 2011/1/30 11:13

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Chester County
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

I guess I'm a lot like you in what I carry. I retired my vest along time ago and use the same vest/pack all the time when I fish for trout (I have a bass/WW vest/pack too). Mine is an old Orvis model vest pack, the larger one. I think it was called the "Hydration Pack" but I removed the bladder. It has a generous backpack along with two pouches up front.

In the backpack, I carry my raincoat, some extra doodads, and my water bottle and lunch. It has a bungie type deal in the back that I use for attaching my shirt or jacket when I remove it when it warms up. There's also a place to carry a rod tubes for back-packing.

I prefer pouches that hang to the side rather than one big one up front which seems to always be in my way, and doesn't allow you to see your feet when wading or hiking.

I hate to switch over stuff and chose flies to be used for the day. I carry 4 fly large fly boxes (3 of them are swingleaf boxes) which allows me to carry 1000++ flies.

I never forget anything, because the same stuff is always with me all the time. I can close my eyes and find anything in my pack.

If you are a vest guy that carries a lot of stuff, these packs are for you. I used to have a backache every fishing trip with a vest, but now my pack style vest balances the weight on my shoulders and is much more comfortable. Also the straps are adjustable (not one size like a vest) and you can adjust them for wearing a t-shirt in the summer to wearing a heavy clothes in the winter. Also they are cooler to wear in the hot weather.

I would trade my V-pack for anything! HTH.

Posted on: 2011/1/30 11:42

Quote:

troutbert wrote:

- I was using it all the time until I got a chest pack.

- I've been using the lighter setup for fishing local holes. When I plan on going to the Jam this year (which is a big trip for me, considering it's out of state and multiday) I will be bringing my techpack. But I will also be bring my smaller pack just as a back up and to see if I can consolidate and travel light after a day or two to evaluate what I really need, and what I can do without.

- I don't have an exact weight for my fishpond, but it's light. It's comfortable to wear all day. This nice thing about it, compared to a standard vest, is that it has straps you can customize for a better fit, thus taking most of the weight off your shoulder and distributing it around you waist, like a real backpack.

- Switching around isn't too hard.

- About the Orvis vest, see what I said above about the weight of the fishpond.

- If you want one go to pack, get the fishpond (or Allen) you were looking at. It's quite comfortable. I've actually never felt uncomfortable in it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

One word of caution. I'd be more leery of a chest pack rather than a tech pack. Some of the chest packs are quite bulky in the front and can limit your lateral arm movement. If you want a vestpack/techpack you'll be ok, be if it's a chest pack, I'd say try it before you buy it.

Posted on: 2011/1/30 12:06

From SEPA
Quote:

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
I wanted to hear suggestions, and Gfen being somewhat eccectric I think, suggested I go out all commando wearing the alice system the troops use.

Resized Image

ps: mock if you will, works like a champ.

Posted on: 2011/1/31 19:58

From Eastern PA
What 'cha got going on there gfen? More info please.

Posted on: 2011/1/31 20:12

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com