Had to have another one

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

A couple years ago I bought my first fiberglass rod a Cabela's CGR 7/8 weight. At first I wasn't sure if I would like it and the whole line of rods tends to be at least a foot shorter per line weight than typical graphite rods. I do like the slower action of fiberglass. I think they roll cast better.

I've landed bass on the CGR 7/8 that before,on my longer stiffer #7, I would have lost. For some reason the rod just works. I feel more confident casting big bugs and streamers and hooking and landing fish. I hardly ever feel like I'm going to snap a bigger bass off, because the rod flexes so smoothly and deeply.

So I went out and after agonizing over my decision I went with a 6'6" 4 weight. I hear people debate all the time about longer rods being better, but honestly in some of the smaller streams I fish, surrounded by a jungle like tangle of vegetation,you just don't have 8' or 10' of space to cast in some situations. I need rod that can roll cast well when there is no casting room.

I threw on a spare Redington reel with #5 on it and headed out to a small, barely flowing warm water to pick off some sunnies and bass. The rod roll casts hares ears and foam ants very well as far as I needed. Didn't manage too entice a bass but caught some nice gills and sunnies. I haven't got to try a #4 line yet but I feel like this rod is going to be use very heavily. I am very happy with way it casts. It feels like the perfect rod for small tight streams to punch nymphs and dries under the branches and out to those tough little spots.

P.S. Just can't figure out which reel looks best on it. The Redington is rated 3/4 but feels maybe a tad heavy.

Attachments

• 2017-06-22 16.30.40.jpg
    2017-06-22 16.30.40.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 2017-06-22 16.29.42.jpg
    2017-06-22 16.29.42.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 2
Slower rods roll cast better. Two days ago I fished an 8' 4 weight glass rod that was custom built by Jack Mickievicz. I couldn't believe how far I could roll cast with it, and how the fly lands so delicately.

I love my 7/8 CGR. Definitely become my go to smallie rod.

I love glass for heavier rods. I use an old 8wt Orvis and several in the 8' and 8'6" 6wt ranges for bass, carp, etc. Don't have the CGR, most of mine are old South Bends and an Eagle Claw Featherlight.

I have the Cabelas Prime 3wt 5'11". Great dry fly rod, but it's short. I'm finding that any rod under 6'6" is sorta useless. It can be difficult to have line control even on small streams. It casts great, though.

Andy,

I agree and disagree.
6'6" does seem to be the magical number on length that give good line control but I own many under that range and find them to be useful tools in limited situations.
The stream I fished today had amazingly large brookies for the size of creek and the size of the pools.
No mending was required, the brookies didn't care either, they hit the fly the second it hit the water. I should have taken a 5' rod, the hike in was pretty rough but instead I took my 6'6" just because I wanted to fish it.

There may be times when it's Ok. I have found, more times than not, that when I fish w/ the 5'11", I wish I had those extra 7".

I agree that a 6 1/2' rod is as short as I like to fish. However, there is a small stream I fish that has overgrown tunnels. My 6' rod fits well for that application.

There may be times when it's Ok. I have found, more times than not, that when I fish w/ the 5'11", I wish I had those extra 7".

Agreed, that's why it is a highly specialized tool. I'm sure I know of a few creeks that a 6'6" would frustrate the heck out of ya ;-)

If the stream is SO tight that a 6'6" is too long, I'm sure I'm too big for the stream.

Every once in a while there is an advantage being height challenged.

outsider wrote:
Every once in a while there is an advantage being height challenged.

Yes, so I've learned from fishing w/ Sal!

Touché!

Back