Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Graphite Rod differences

From Crawford County
Is there truly a noticable difference in graphite rods? I have a 5 yr. old IM6 5 wt. rod and was thinking maybe I should get a new one but when I look at the really expensive ones in the shop I can't seem to feel any difference.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 9:43

Re: Graphite Rod differences

From Eastern PA
I can tell a huge difference between a 5 year old IM6 rod and a more current blank. Heck, I didn't know they were still making IM6 5 years ago. I would say its a lot harder to tell the difference between a current $200 rod versus a $700 rod. However I think you could surely tell the difference between a 5 year old IM6 and a more modern $200 graphite composite on the stream. Having said that, there are a lot of "old school" collectors out there that really like IM6 as it's a slow, soft rod generally.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 9:48

From NE OH
There is a large difference on multiple levels. The new rods are lighter and more durable and that makes for more casts in a day. However, you have to know what you are getting for the type of fishing you do.

For instance, I had an Orvis Helios 10' 7wt (at a next to nothing price because of being on the Pro Staff...no way I would pay that much for a rod) that I was going to use for steelheading. These rods are made of a single thin layer of graphite that is really strong. Well, it's true, if there are no defects in the graphite...the bending strength is incredible. I broke that rod 4 times. Any little nick to the outside of the graphite created a significant weak spot in the graphic that leads to stress risers when landing a big fish. So, if your rod is going to take any abuse getting into the stream or laying it down on the stream...it's the wrong set-up for big fish.

They finally swaped that rod out for a 3wt instead. I have never had a problem since.

So, anyway, be sure to check the graphite construct and consider your application. If you are tough on rods (and I am), get something with multiple layers. And, choose a company with a warranty. TFO in particular has very well priced rods with a lifetime warranty. Echo is another well priced rod company to consider.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 10:28

From SEPA
Quote:

longbowman58 wrote:
I can't seem to feel any difference.

Well, then, there you have it.

If its not broke, why go broke trying to fix it?

Posted on: 2013/4/26 22:20

Everyone knows fly rods attained perfection in 1994, it's a scientific fact.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 22:49

From New Castle, PA

Yes. Without a doubt.

Find a Helios or Helios 2 and cast your old IM6 side by side with it. At the very least you'll notice a drastic difference in weight.

Graphite rods have been improving on a yearly basis for many years now. from one year to the next you may see only slightly improved rods come onto the market. However, after 5, 10, or 20 years the improvements add up and the differences are very noticable.

Kev

Posted on: 2013/4/26 22:56

From Southeastern Pa
well said Gfen.

find something you like and stick with it

Posted on: 2013/4/27 0:27

Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
There is a large difference on multiple levels. The new rods are lighter and more durable and that makes for more casts in a day. However, you have to know what you are getting for the type of fishing you do.

For instance, I had an Orvis Helios 10' 7wt (at a next to nothing price because of being on the Pro Staff...no way I would pay that much for a rod) that I was going to use for steelheading. These rods are made of a single thin layer of graphite that is really strong. Well, it's true, if there are no defects in the graphite...the bending strength is incredible. I broke that rod 4 times. Any little nick to the outside of the graphite created a significant weak spot in the graphic that leads to stress risers when landing a big fish. So, if your rod is going to take any abuse getting into the stream or laying it down on the stream...it's the wrong set-up for big fish.

They finally swaped that rod out for a 3wt instead. I have never had a problem since.

So, anyway, be sure to check the graphite construct and consider your application. If you are tough on rods (and I am), get something with multiple layers. And, choose a company with a warranty. TFO in particular has very well priced rods with a lifetime warranty. Echo is another well priced rod company to consider.

More durable than IM6? Show me the proof. And Jdaddy they still make IM6 rods, a great material.

Posted on: 2013/4/27 0:29

From State College PA
"I look at the really expensive ones in the shop I can't seem to feel any difference"

depends on what "look" means- wiggle, cast or fish?
you notice the difference more and more in that order

Posted on: 2013/4/27 6:40

From SE Pa
Quote:
Is there truly a noticable difference in graphite rods?

Not as much as there is between older vintage fiberglass and a new one.

Newer ones like a Steffen s-glass or Kettle Creek e-glass 7' or 7'6" 3/4 weights are really sweet.

Posted on: 2013/4/27 7:23

Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Everyone knows fly rods attained perfection in 1994, it's a scientific fact.

This wasn't serious, it was based on the famous quote from Homer Simpson:

"Why do you need new bands? Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact."

(I hate having to explain my "jokes.")

Posted on: 2013/4/29 8:56

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, fly rods slowly improve, and the improvement over time has been very noticable.

That said, the improvement has come from higher modulus graphite, as well as improved resin. The result is that rods can either be made faster, or can be made "just as fast" with less material (i.e. lighter), or some combination of the above.

Those with significantly thinned walls will NOT be more durable. Perhaps less so, and at best, the same.

And, while this has happened, many anglers are desiring SLOWER rods, which are available, and are not all that much improved. If you don't desire a faster rod than is available, there hasn't been much improvement.

In my hands, I feel a HUGE difference between various rods and tapers, regardless of when they were designed and made. But I can't say any of them are better or worse than any others. I can only say what I personally prefer, which varies depending on the application. And there are plenty of old rods that I like. The only thing I can say about modern technology is that the "light and fast" category has added even lighter and faster options over time. i.e. one end of the spectrum has been lengthened. But for me, all rods, anywhere on that spectrum, still have their time and place. Every rod is a trade-off, and excels at something while falling short on something else.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 11:07

From NE OH
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
In my hands, I feel a HUGE difference between various rods and tapers, regardless of when they were designed and made. But I can't say any of them are better or worse than any others. I can only say what I personally prefer, which varies depending on the application. And there are plenty of old rods that I like. The only thing I can say about modern technology is that the "light and fast" category has added even lighter and faster options over time. i.e. one end of the spectrum has been lengthened. But for me, all rods, anywhere on that spectrum, still have their time and place. Every rod is a trade-off, and excels at something while falling short on something else.

Well said.

What I don't like BTW, it when a company talks about how they have the hardest resin in the world like that matters over a single layer of graphite. If you are so careful with your rods that it never touches anything but the air you cast through...it's fine. One scratch from a tree branch walking into that remote water....not so fine. Or God forbid you are just tired and not casting well one day and your poor casting stroke leads to a BH woolly bugger hitting the rod. I could be more careful and protect that rod like it's my child. But come on, I want to be able to set the thing down once in a while. I want to be able to move through a section of dense brush without completely taking my rod down and putting it in a case.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 11:38

From Pgh
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:

I agree that it's pretty much a personal preference. I'm not a big fan of fast rods. I just dumped an old SAGE RPL+ I had lying around for years because I thought that was way too fast. (That rod was made like 12 years ago) For me, it was like casting with a broomstick.

Yep, just like the owner himself, I prefer "older and slower."

Posted on: 2013/4/29 12:07

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
[quote]

What I don't like BTW, it when a company talks about how they have the hardest resin in the world like that matters over a single layer of graphite. If you are so careful with your rods that it never touches anything but the air you cast through...it's fine. One scratch from a tree branch walking into that remote water....not so fine. Or God forbid you are just tired and not casting well one day and your poor casting stroke leads to a BH woolly bugger hitting the rod. I could be more careful and protect that rod like it's my child. But come on, I want to be able to set the thing down once in a while. I want to be able to move through a section of dense brush without completely taking my rod down and putting it in a case.

They really aren't as fragile as your post would make them seem.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 12:16

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com