Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Good Small Stream Rod

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
So, now we have lots of complicating factors (all valid). Summary.

Taper differences ensure that line weights cannot be standardized on a per foot basis. An agressive taper will vary more than a modest one. For instance, an agressively tapered 4 wt line at 10 ft might be equivalent to a flat 6 wt at 10 ft. At 50 ft, it may act more like a flat 2 wt line at 50 ft. While a more modest taper might will have a lesser differential, maybe a 5 wt in close and a 3 wt out far. A flat line should always act like what it says it is.

Ratings are merely "guidelines", not rules, and in the age of marketing are abused often. Not all rods nor lines are rated as they should be.

The rod itself can create the effect of a heavier line by being slower action, and vice versa.

The caster can create the effect of a heavier line by accelerating the casting stroke, and vice versa (I think we all instinctively know this one, even if we don't know we know it :)).

Any rod should be able to handle multiple line wts at multiple distances. i.e. a 5 wt will likely do just fine with anything from a 3 wt to a 7 wt line anywhere from 15-45 ft, any improvement at a specific distance is marginal.

Bottom line: Experiment with your equipment, at the distance and in the situations you expect to use it. Forget what's printed on the rod or line, go with what performs the best.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 10:12

From Eastern PA
Great summary Pat, especially the bottom line.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 10:26

the short range at which you catch many trout on small streams can be surprising... I like these rio gold lines, they cast well and have a color change at 32 ft of fly line. allow for a leader, and the color change tells you your fly is about 40 ft away. on many small streams, you seldom make a long enough cast to see that color change.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Rio_Gold_Fly_Line.htm

if you see that you are usually making casts of < 40 ft when fishing small streams, you can set up rods to yard cast well at < 40 ft for those small streams.

Posted on: 2011/10/27 10:55

From Philadelphia
Update. I had a Batson 6.6 2 wt (although I'm using a 3wt and may even try a 4wt) made for me. Guy did a great job but didn't charge me are agreed upon price because he said the color of the thread bled due to his color preserver or something. Sends me pictures and all. I can't see a damn thing wrong. We agreed upon $190 but he says he can't charge me more than $100. Sends me the rod and I still can't see what he is talking about. Took the rod out for a spin Monday. Casts streamers well, nymphs and dries great. Best part, I didn't get stuck in one tree like I did with my longer rods. Even got some fish too. I couldn't send the guy only $100 bucks because I would have had to go to confession for stealing. So I split the difference and sent him more. Guy sends me an email and is extremely greatful for me being so generous. I'm thinking, I'm not the generous one dude. Anyway, guy is my rod builder for life. I highly recommend this rod if you are looking for a small stream rod.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 9:25

From Ulysses
I use a TFO Finesse 7'9" 3wt with an Allen Alpha 3/4.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 13:18

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Dano, the Batson blank was the eaxct one I was looking at. But I didn't know Sage had a 7' 4 wt. I may need to consider that one too.
The Sage TXL has been redesigned and discontinued. The new rod is called the TXL-F. The short 4 weight is now 6' 10" long. It is also 4 piece. My older model is 3 piece. IMHO I REALLY don't see how they could have made the TXL any better.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 14:30

From bucks county
orvis has a 1 wweight thats really light. im not sure the exact lengths but they have many models.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 16:00

Quote:

flyflinger7 wrote:
I use a TFO Finesse 7'9" 3wt with an Allen Alpha 3/4.

How do you like the rod?

Posted on: 2012/1/4 17:40

When I fish shorter fly rods, like under 8' I really like the feel and performance of fiberglass. There are lots of old glass rods around so if you can find one give it a try. Some of these are even in higher line weights like 5 or 6, something you don't find with graphite, but as mentioned you usually have to "line up" graphite for short casts. And in the glass realm I find the old shakespeare wonderrods to be pretty flexible (soft) and the Fenwick and Steffen to be a little quicker but still soft realative to g'phite.

Anyhow glass is just another way to skin the cat and it also makes a 6" fish feel bigger - try one they're a lot of fun

Posted on: 2012/1/4 19:24

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

kbobb wrote:
When I fish shorter fly rods, like under 8' I really like the feel and performance of fiberglass. There are lots of old glass rods around so if you can find one give it a try. Some of these are even in higher line weights like 5 or 6, something you don't find with graphite, but as mentioned you usually have to "line up" graphite for short casts. And in the glass realm I find the old shakespeare wonderrods to be pretty flexible (soft) and the Fenwick and Steffen to be a little quicker but still soft realative to g'phite.

Anyhow glass is just another way to skin the cat and it also makes a 6" fish feel bigger - try one they're a lot of fun
I have to agree with you, Fiberglass is FUN! I have several that I fish from time to time.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 20:12

Way back when, I owned 2 Fenwick Feralite fiberglass rods. One of them was the FF60 6 footer. One day in January or February I drove to State College to fish Fisherman's Paradise. It was 22 degrees when we drove through State College, but it warmed up to about 38 degrees in the afternoon. I caught a lot of fish on midges that day with the Fenwick. So many fish, that other fisherman were asking "what are you using?". When I told them midges, they said "what the heck are midges?" Not many people used them or knew what they were at that time. Wish I still owned that rod.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 20:44

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
How about a 5'9 glass rod. Good for small streams? I don't know what else I will use the damn thing for.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 22:09

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

Quote:

SBecker wrote:
How about a 5'9 glass rod. Good for small streams? I don't know what else I will use the damn thing for.

Yes, you will actually feel the fight of a small brookie. If you want to get rid of it, pm me.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 22:13

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Lol outsider I will keep you in mind. I have not even cast it yet. If I hate it once I do, you will be receiving a PM

Posted on: 2012/1/4 22:48

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From harlansburg
I have a 6'6" and a 6'0" that I built from FH Paddock glass blanks, both are wonderful little rods that bring a smile to my face with every cast and they really let little brookies and such show off. they cast a 3 or 4 equally well, jsut depends on the situation and the stream what line I use with what rod.
I also built up a yellow mcfarland glass, 7'6" 4wt that just might be my favorite rod I've ever cast.
on the other end of the glass specturm, at times I fish a 6'0" solid glass montague I got at a flea market for 5 bucks and redid. it casts a 5 wt line pretty nicely and is better for streamers and heavier bugs.
all in all, find what rod YOU enjoy casting and can cast well with. graphite, glass, bamboo, they are all fun to fish with!

Posted on: 2012/1/5 10:44

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com