Gloves

PaulG

PaulG

Can anyone recommend a GOOD pair of fishing gloves, that work?

I don't do a lot of winter fishing but even in March and April, my hands are the first things that get cold!

PaulG:

Which gloves have you tried that haven't worked?

While I HATE fishing with gloves; when I get really cold, (which isn't often), I use my Simms Polar Fleece with the fold over mitten gizmo.

Their gloves have been redesigned for 2007 so the new version of what I have is the Windstopper Foldover Mitt.

When all else fails I fire up the Jon-E Giant which gets hot enough to cause 2nd degree burns which feel great when it's freezing! I also make sure the flask is filled too!

:pint:

Just a pair of fingerless gore-tex fold over mittens does it for me.....

just don't dunk your hand like i've done before. They aren't too good when wet. It sucks when you are 2 miles from the car in driving snow on the salmon river :-(

For $3.50 you can get rag wool fingerless gloves that keep your hands warm, and your hands keep your fingertips warm. You need your fingertips to flyfish. Try doing it with mittens. And those ones with the mitton fit-over thing-a-mabob, well they have velcro and catch your line all the time. I have two pair of them if you want a pair.

One thing about the rag wool that I like, you can dunk your hand, tail a steelie, squeeze out the water and start fishing again. Your hand will warm the moisture in the rag wool.

A few years ago when I shortened one of my fingers by an inch, I found that it didn't like the cold very much, I was tramatized that I may not be able to fish in winter. I realized getting it wet was the issue. so I put a pair of latex gloves on under the rag wools, waa lah, no cold fingies.

Its rag wool for me pudie.

Maurice

while I don't own a pair, I did have the pleasure of borrowing a pair of Seal Skins once. They were better than the pair of neoprene gloves (with the top of the thumb and forefinger cut off) that i'd left at home. But I still use the neoprene ones. You have to look pretty hard to find ones that fit just right though. Anyway, I really liked those seal skin's gloves. I think he told me they were pretty pricy though if that matters.

Dear Paul,

I've tried just about all the gloves out there and here is how I rank them. 1) Glacier Gloves - made of neoprene with fold over thumb and index finger sections. They give me all the dexterity I need and are 100 waterproof so I don't have to worry about dunking my hands to land a fish 2) Fingerless Ragg Wool - not as warm as the Glacier gloves and not waterproof but a quick shake of the wet glove gets rid of about 95% of the water if you dunk your hands and wool insulates when wet. 3) Fleece Windstopper mittens with the fold over finger section. It's not so much because they don't keep my hands warm that I rank these last. It's because the fold -over section is so large and it is always in the way when handling fly line.

On suggestion I will make no matter what gloves you get is to plan ahead when you are going to use gloves and toss them up on your car's defroster vents on the way to the stream. The difference between putting some cold damp glove on and putting a nice warm glove on cannot be stressed enough. If you are like most people your hands don't give off that much heat. Why waste it heating up a pair of gloves?

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I use fingerless rag wool on those chilly days when your knocking ice of your guides. Heck at only $7.00, I usually carry an extra pair in the vest where the extra spool pocket is located. They always have kept my hands manageable to perform needed tasks under brutal conditions. My hands are hardly ever a problem, my feet are another story............Larger boots helped though.

I go with Tim Murphy, the neoprene Glacier Gloves he describes work very well. I have used them all through the winter and they definitely perform better than polar fleece I used to have.

Moe

Save me a pair of those gloves you don't use, I'll give them a try!

Curly

Guys
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll look into a pair of those Glacire glove that Tim and Scotto talked about!

PaulG

Maurice wrote;

"A few years ago when I shortened one of my fingers by an inch, I found that it didn't like the cold very much, I was tramatized that I may not be able to fish in winter. I realized getting it wet was the issue. so I put a pair of latex gloves on under the rag wools, waa lah, no cold fingies."

Question: Do your hands sweat inside the latex?
I have a similiar problem as yours. Twenty years ago I took a finger tip off, which they reattached. That is the first one to get cold. But hasn't stopped me from fishing though. Not worried about keeping the finger dry just warm. Ten degree drop in temperture during the summer I can feel it in the finger tip. Always looking for a way to keep it warm.

live2fish wrote:
Maurice wrote;

"A few years ago when I shortened one of my fingers by an inch, I found that it didn't like the cold very much, I was tramatized that I may not be able to fish in winter. I realized getting it wet was the issue. so I put a pair of latex gloves on under the rag wools, waa lah, no cold fingies."

Question: Do your hands sweat inside the latex?
I have a similiar problem as yours. Twenty years ago I took a finger tip off, which they reattached. That is the first one to get cold. But hasn't stopped me from fishing though. Not worried about keeping the finger dry just warm. Ten degree drop in temperture during the summer I can feel it in the finger tip. Always looking for a way to keep it warm.

My finger was reattached too, it is partially numb on the tip like yours. But it doesn't get any colder than any others. I think keeping the cold water off the tips of your fingers works in freezing or below freezing weather. And, Keeping the wind off helps too. The ragg wool still warms the hand which helps the extremeties.

Give it a try...cannot hurt.

Maurice

A quick tip for everyone when your hands get cold is to do a "windmill" action with your arms. The spinning of your arms forces blood into your hands and this helps warm them up.

Back