Glasses to help see

Acristickid

Acristickid

Need recommendations for some lenses to tie on small flies and for the last hour of light.

I have not done any research.

Just buy cheap readers?? Get one with a light ? Clip for hat?

I am tired of being frustrated by not being able to get my topper through the eye and wasting precious risers.

Clics. https://www.clicmagneticglasses.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjt3z58Ou3wIV1wOGCh0JRgwOEAAYASAAEgIA3PD_BwE

I like the hat clip ons. They are easily stored out of the way and always at the ready.

When was your last eye exam?

Honestly, this is one of the single biggest reason I began to fish less and less over the past 5 years or so. While I think I finally have it under control, The journey of ever progressing eye failure between the ages of 48 and 53 for me was extremely frustrating.

The cheaters will work for a while but I highly suggest you find out if this is the end or just the beginning of getting used to or finding a solution to this problem.

The last straw was a Jam a few years ago at Spring. Just at dusk. Could see just fine on minute and as soon the sulfurs started going crazy it got too dark to tie on.

I started by using cheaters. You can get the dollar kind that you don't mind dropping 12 fathoms from your float tube or places like Lens-Crafters have ones for 20 bucks that are much better glass and you can pick the power that works best for the stage you are in currently.

Eventually it will get worse. My biggest problem with cheaters was flipping back and forth with my polarized sunglasses. Found a pair of polarized cheaters but it kind of made my eyes go wonky if I tried to wear them all day.

Wife started making me go to an annual eye appointment and my prescription has changed pretty much every year. I do find it amazing how much better I see after getting a new pair of glasses (never had anything but 20/20 vision until I was 45) makes you see with each prescription change.

I now have Progressive lenses (tri-focals) and use clip on polarizing sunglasses (10 bucks at Wally World so Its OK to break/lose a couple) but they make flip ups too.

I also found lengthening of my arms to be another inconvenient suggestion.

Seriously, the cheaters will get you by, and hopefully that will be enough. I would still find out if this is going to be something that will get worse or not and save yourself years of frustrating adjustments.

^this

Since I'm nearsighted and wear glasses all the time, cheap readers were not a good option. The flip down magnifiers that clip to my hat bill work really well. However, now that I have a current prescription and progressive lenses I find I rarely use the magnifiers. I still like them for really small flies, though.

Well, first priority obviously is to be sure through a medical professional of the nature and normality of the changes.

Once that's done, if it turns out to be simple ossification related to ageing (like we all go though..), I've always found that if you keep on eye out (pun intended..), the Dollar Store type places will sometimes have these outrageously magnified (4X and sometimes, even 5X) half shell cheaters in a bin for a couple bucks a pair. At that price, you can et a few pairs and just keep them loose in your pack or vest and use as needed. Then, once they get all scratched up, toss em and get some more.

Don't worry though. It'll eventually pass and get worse and you'll need bifocals...:)

Start with the cheaters & a hat light. If your eyes are getting worse, you'll find you grow out of that solution.
I'm a full time glasses-wearer. After messing around with cheaters and contact lenses for a few years, I went to progressive lenses in both my regular and my sunglasses and am happy with the results. It's an investment for sure (especially RayBan frame, polarized, brown tinted, anti scratch, anti-reflective sunglasses) - but I don't hassle much with the on & off routine anymore.

I recently had my eyes examined and bought new glasses/contacts. It has really helped. I also use my old stereo speaker stands for a magnifying lamp that my grandfather used years ago to help him read.

The other speaker stand is for a cheap fly vise that acts like a third hand. This way I can see what I am doing and take my time getting my knots correct.

None of this helps while on the water.

I bought that 4 fly rod vault to carry four fly rods for a lot of reasons. I can take my time at home to get my knots correct, fish with one of my grandfather's and father's favorite fly rods on the same fishing trip, and just change fly rods that are already rigged and ready to fish rather than dealing with trying to tie flies to tippet under conditions when I can't see very well.

My grandfather and father couldn't take their fly rods with them when they passed, which is why I have a lot of fly rods.

Obviously I have to come out of the water to change fly rods, but that works out better for me than getting frustrated when I really can't see what I want to do.

Had Lasix surgery about a dozen years ago - about the best thing that I ever did- see far away very well it’s the very up close teeny things that I need the help

Probably been four or five years since an eye exam- things were fine then. Gambler must be onto something - at 48 my eyes started to go.

My approach has been not to use any cheaters because of what people of mentioned above here, that it typically declines and you become more dependent but now it’s unavoidable.

Maybe get the hat clip-0n, I’m prone to losing or breaking things. I guess the glasses and clip on are about the same.

Probably would not like a light, hat and glasses on my head but I guess that’s the answer.

The older I get the more I appreciate daylight hatches.

Thanks for the ideas. Anyone have any specific setups that work for them- meaning hat, light and glasses??

None of us are getting any younger!

I used to be able to tie a #32 fly with no help at all
Had to get glasses in my mid forties - and started getting eye checkups every other year. And usually had to keep getting stronger power.
Was told a few years ago that I have "baby" cataracts.
And now get exams every year.
I guess that eventually I'll need cataract surgery.
But I'm fine fishing with my prescription glasses for now.

Yeah - daylight hatches are where it's at for sure. And I try to fish a lot in march and april - when most surface activity happens mid day

My son had lasix surgery. HATES IT> He ald so complains
of not seing well up close. I had Cataract Surgery and can see well enough ,but 2x cheaters work great. Get an eye exam!! Find some hooks with bigger eyes. Fish with friends who have good eye sight.Tippet rings and pre tied flies on tippetsi
Just being a smart axx. GG

No lasix for me either. I can read and do close work without glasses and that is more important to me than seeing far (i’d have been eaten by a saber tooth tiger long ago had I been born a caveman). I wear monovision contacts which is ok for the office. But this doesn’t work at all for tying on small flies because of screwed up depth perception. I tried wearing distance contacts with good quality bifocal sunglasses but not being able to focus close without an aid drove me crazy. (Anybody in the market for barely used Maui Jim Bifocals)

So I invested a small fortune in Maui Jim prescription glasses with graduated lens in green. They are awesome. Everything is crispy clear and I look really cool in them...except when it starts to get pretty dark—you know that time when you still want to cut the glare on the water but the regular polarized glasses just don’t cut it. I may buy another pair of good low light glasses with graduated lens. Or maybe clip ones to add to my regular glasses at this time. Not sure on best lens though. Yellow? But carrying all these glasses is a pain, too. Ah, these first world problems...

I use these with my sunglasses

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Carson-Clip-on-Magnifier/1167559.uts?slotId=4

If you are looking for readers, Costco is hard to beat. $20 for 3 pairs..AND.... they will adjust them for fit. FSA compliant for me.

Back