From SEPA
Quote:

BradFromPotter wrote:
gfen....
what blank is the one pictured?

The older, brown, McFarland.

Quote:

BradFromPotter wrote:
Here's a link to some gorgeous glass rods...
http://graywolfrods.blogspot.com/

Resized Image

I first realized how pretty they could be when that guy posted some images that man backlit, as above, and the yellow hollowglass rod just glowed.

Now, I don't kid myself, I don't look that pretty out there, but I assure you, I look damned good. Putting a glowing stick in my hand just makes me even more splendid.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 14:25

Re: Glass rods ?

From State College PA
I understand the appeal of the different feel. It feels different and somewhat refreshing. Especially given the push for fast rods in the market place.

I don't know the answer to this question, may be someone does. I see flexing too far down as a problem here. As the rod tip travels trough the arc, the chances it will travel out of plane (lateral movement) is higher, no? This may not be a problem for people who are expert casters, unlike myself. I fish much better than I cast, if people know what I mean.
I do wonder about performance and accuracy when rods bend too much into the butt. It seems to me someone must have worked out the physics here.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 14:52

From Hanover
Like these beauties.. .. (posted previously on a topic in the the gear page)

http://fhpaddockflyrods.com/The_lemon_drop_series.html

and Kabuto

http://kabutorods.com/

http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/topic/12929

Something about slowing down the cast in a world of tomato sticks is what appeals to me. It is what I learned on. Now, I have mostly graphite, but someday I will have one these works of art.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 14:54

From SEPA
Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:
I understand the appeal of the different feel. It feels different and somewhat refreshing. Especially given the push for fast rods in the market place.

It feels, honestly, alot like bamboo. Or, at least the ones I'm familar with. Lots of bamboo users will tell you how much more alive their rods feel and will issue forth gobbletygook about living fiber and blah blah blah... Y'know, I won't mock it. I don't get it, but I won't mock it. It does feel different.

Like everything, there's something tangible in the substances used. Rod construction can only be one of the most, if not the most, important parts of "feel," since its the power flowing from arm to line and back again that transfers through this endlessly.

How many times have you turned up your nose at a plasticgraphite reel because it didn't feel as good as a cast metal reel? And then there's comparing cast to machined. I mean, they all do the same thing, and hell, graphite is almost as strong and certainly lighter and cheaper than machined metal, right?

Posted on: 2011/3/29 15:02

From Room 109
I really think it comes down to keeping yourself entertained. Once you have a rack full of rods where to you go? Just gives you another area to explore.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 15:07

From SEPA
Quote:

Bruno wrote:
I really think it comes down to keeping yourself entertained. Once you have a rack full of rods where to you go? Just gives you another area to explore.

Spinning! (that's your cue, Pete!)
Spinning...cane! (farmerdave, step on up!)
'Pinning! (jayl)
Tenkara...?

Posted on: 2011/3/29 15:11

From State College PA
Ok. I have a better feel for why people at turning to them.
Now, a technical question. Since they are heavier, are people changing the type of reel they put on it to balance it better?

Posted on: 2011/3/29 15:12

Quote:
{GFen}How many times have you turned up your nose at a plasticgraphite reel because it didn't feel as good as a cast metal reel? And then there's comparing cast to machined. I mean, they all do the same thing, and hell, graphite is almost as strong and certainly lighter and cheaper than machined metal, right?

Have you tried a True Temper steel rod GFen?
You might really like their action.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 15:12

From SEPA
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
Have you tried a True Temper steel rod GFen?
You might really like their action.

Dude, I saw one on the ebay, and I admit it, I flirted with the idea of it, but I just don't...OK, I probably could.

I ever find one for pennies at a yardsale, I'll buy it and fish the hell out of it for at least a day.

Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:
Now, a technical question. Since they are heavier, are people changing the type of reel they put on it to balance it better?

Nope, same ole Medalists.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 15:15

I think they were war babies-lol

Posted on: 2011/3/29 15:18

From Madison co. VA (Conway River)
Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:

Talking about balance, back in the glass rod days, me and some friends were standing at the bank of Ridley Creek FFO area, and here comes this guy that just popped out of an Orvis catalog, he had a graphite rod, ( the first one I ever saw) He was showing it to us and talking about how light it was, I took my big glass rod and balanced it with my index finger and said my rod was heavy but it was balanced, He did it with his and the rod flipped back reel first into the creek. We all laughed about it for a long time.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 16:19

I gotten the glass bug - largely I guess to try something new that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Still plenty of decent glass rods at yard sales and such.

I have cane, wood, steel, aluminum, graphite, boron, and glass rods. There are good, bad, and indifferent rods made of each material (OK, the aluminum rods don't stack up too well).

The smooth, slow action of glass is relaxing to me - and many days I go fishing to relax.

The older glass rods fish heavier lines (6 wt to 7 wt) gently, which gives an advantage IMHO over the current approach of fast, lighter (3 wt to 5 wt) lines when distance is an issue, when the wind picks up, or when you have to punch something under a overhanging branch. Heavier lines can be landed gently with a soft action rod. For example, Sunday I was casting an old Heddon 8 1/2' 6 wt rod next to a guy casting the new Loomis 9' 4 wt NFO. The NFO was a rocket, but when the wind came up in our face the lighter 4 wt line folded and the 6 wt still punched out there.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 16:28

From harlansburg
why glass? if you have to ask, you'll never understand.
glass is junk, stay away from glass!!! go fish your graphite.
more glass for me!!!!!

bottom line, it's all in how you cast and how you like to cast. I enjoy a slower casting rod. I don't like fast rods. I enjoy bamboo, but bamboo can be heavy. glass can give you the slow, smooth action without the weight.
I fish both vintage and new glass. most new glass is very nice to cast, lots of old one's are also, lots of old ones are also dogs. I own a few of them and save them for night fishing the slippery rock.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 16:39

From SEPA
Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:
Glass doesn't even have the history or beauty of bamboo.

Just one more for this?

Resized Image

C'mon, that's pretty.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 17:02

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I'm just getting into the glass scene. When you look around and see who is surrounding you, it's scary! lol (no offense bikerfish and gfen)

Just won a Fenwick FF806 last night on Ebay. 8' 6wt should work just fine as a good entrance to glass. Hopefully I can try it out here pretty soon.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 17:03

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com