Getting Started In Tying Leaders

jdaddy

jdaddy

Hi,

I have been pretty much convinced that knotted leaders offer a substantial advantage in dry fly presentation. I see that Cablea's has a few different manufacturers offering kits and I have a gift card (stealth Fathers Day brag). Maxima, Frog Hair, Umpqua. Any suggestions? Pretty much narrowed down between Maxima and Frog Hair. Chamelion, clear, ultra-green?

Thanks in advance.

Maxima chameleon butts to the tippet of your choice.

My father's day Cabela's gift card went for backing and some bass poppers. I'd rather spend time fishing with my kids. That's the best gift they can give.
I vote for the Maxima. Been using it since the 60's and it's never let me down. Nowadays I make and fish furled leaders.

Go with Maxima and don't spend your money on a kit if you can tie a double surgeons knot you can build leaders till you blue in the face.

Most folks seem to insist upon blood knots. Is the consensus that one could get away with surgeons knots with minimal loss in performance?

I triple surgeons knot (3 times thru) works as well as a blood knot, IMO. A double surgeons will hold, but he line doesn't lay straight using it.

Build your self one of these. It comes with the frog hair kit but a block of wood and some roach clips and you are done.

I have the frog hair kit and like it very much.

Attachments

• leader tool.jpg
    leader tool.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 3
The triple surgoen's is OK for the fine end of the leader or tippet, but I find it to be very bulky for the butt end.

I use a perfection loop at the top then blood knots down the leader. Although blood knots are weaker than the triple surgeon's, there is no way any of the leader knots will be weaker than the leader-to-tippet knot or the knot on the hook eye. The little bee hive of a blood knot is better at getting through the rod tip and can be coated with Knot Sense to make it really smooth. This is important when using long leaders, esp. with short rods.

I'd used Maxima for many years. I've switched brands over the past couple of years but never had any complaints about their product. I think the initial reason that I'd changed was that other companies were making the same pound test but it was a smaller diam that Maxima. I'll have to check that out next time I get into town.

I believe I saw someone have a conversion chart for Maxima. Could someone post it? I see they have lb and diameter listed on the spools, but all online information for Maxima refers to lb strength. I am going to use the gift card online, so I won't be in the store to check each spool.
Thanks

Maxima chameleon. Nail knot to end of leader and blood knots on down the line.

First time, I bought the kit- for me at least, there were a couple of spools in the kit you might not use. Now I just buy suppliment spools. If a person is judicious with the kit it should last a few years. I might tie on 3 new butt sections a year but I am not that anal.

Cant help with the chart.

Google is my friend . . . .

http://users.eastlink.ca/~dryfly/maxima1.htm

Here you go, have fun...

http://www.flyfishusa.com/tackle-tips/leaders/about-leaders.html

Maxima is the way to go. When I started to flyfish my friend taught me from the beginning to build my own leaders.He uses and taught me the "Harvey Formula" I have never fished with anything else. You can adjust the lengths to suit any situation. For nymphing I use all Maxima Chamelion with 3x or 4x tippet. For drys I make the last two lengths including "The Hinge" from Maxima Ultra-Green with 5x or 6x. If you want help with the blood knots buy a "Dennison Leader Vise" They are pocket sized. I keep mine in the front tray of my "Richardson Chest Box". I have seen them at several fly shops. This little tool makes tying the blood knot easy. Try one and you will see what I'm talking about. I wish I would have thought of it first LOL Good Luck.

Jeff, I have a chart on how to hand tie George Harvey leaders for nymphs and dries. I'll dig it up and get it to you. I believe it specifies using Maxima too.

jdaddy- just fyi.

The list you found does not include all the sizes. Just in case you find some leader formulas that differ.

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/leadercalc/download.php

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info. I ordered the necessary Maxima materials. They were back ordered on the 6lb so I picked some up today when I was in the Little Lehigh Fly Shop.

does anyone else tie uni knots when tying leaders? i always have and almost never have problems

Back