Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Gear Junkie

From Sweet Valley
I only dream of 30 mpg haha if i hit 15 mpg thats a good day!

I believe the Yellowstone Angler gives a good perspective on the current rods and how they stack. I agree the 'gotta have it' should be left out, but overall I think they do some of the best reviews.

I believe they do hate on some companies rods, *winston*, to name one in specific and love on companies that rods are way way too expensive, I am sure everybody can figure that one out. How does a fly rod that costs 1,400 manage a 5 in cost? lol

That should be a zero outta ten, but I guess they didn't want cost to be a big factor....if that was the case why would the gotta have it be there?

I think we should do a PA Fly Fish Fly Rod Shootout.

Worst rod ever: Older 4 Piece TFO 9ft 5wts. (From about 5 years ago) I use them for beginner FF courses and they are comparable to using a log with fly line taped to it. They are so bad infact that have permanently biased me against TFOs. (I don't even know the model b/c I refuse to look at them any longer than I have too)

Best rod ever: Too many great ones for me to decide but Ill go with a Loomis GLX Streamdance.

I don't have science or tests to back that up, just my uneducated opinion.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 18:00

From Cambria County
In keeping with the "junkie" topic, anybody else find themselves consistently reassuring your better half that you absolutely need this new item. Me and my wife have a pretty open relationship with each other. She seemingly hides nothing from me and I reciprocate. Except fly fishing gear...
I'm a gear addict. I never know how she'd react to new rods, reels, or anything since I have already accumulated so much. So instead of possibly starting a jihad in the homestead, I resort to some old fashion trickery. Having things shipped to my parents house or to my hotel while I'm away at work or rubbing a little dirt on something and telling her I've had that for years. I'm sure she knows my struggle with addiction because I've seen her purse and shoe collections, but I still cannot bring myself to let her know just how bad it is.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 20:59

From SEPA
Quote:

Railking wrote:
Me and my wife have a pretty open relationship with each other.

She a goer?

Posted on: 2013/5/2 22:00

From Southwestern NY
Quote:
I only dream of 30 mpg haha if i hit 15 mpg thats a good day!

that's the family wagon(sexy, really fun to drive and the damn things gonna get me a speeding ticket), but that costs a boat load less to drive to go fish than my crew long bed powerstroke(6spd, my baby), also hauls the fam and or whatever else i throw at it, but costs twice as much to go the same place on average, maybe a bit better if i can keep my foot out of it(so hard to do, i'll admit 'im a bit of a horse power junkie as well).

as for the shoot out, lucly i have not had many that bad, but i did attempt to cast a shakespear walmart special combo once... who in their marketing dep let that out the door? absolute JUNK!

best rod...??? prob my mystic m-series 3wt.

has anyone sprawled bast just ff gear to builing gear as well? ya know a wood lathe for handle turning, loads of diy rod building goodies, and now working into bamboo lol. but at least the bamboo got partially side lined by the fishing coming back locally anyways?

Posted on: 2013/5/2 22:07

Some flyfisherman told me that he had 92 fly rods.

So, you can keep buying more until you catch up with that guy.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 22:12

From Cambria County
Sorry Gfen, only for me. Hopefully.
I knew as soon as I reread what I wrote, someone would go there. Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

Railking wrote:
Me and my wife have a pretty open relationship with each other.

She a goer?

Posted on: 2013/5/2 22:59

From SEPA
Quote:

Railking wrote:
I knew as soon as I reread what I wrote, someone would go there.

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 23:21

From Ferguson Twp.
Quote:

PennKev wrote:
Meh.

A few of the reviews make the rods in question sound like crap but then they give them a 18 out of 20 rating on the scoresheet.

If they suck give them a 10 out of 20 or something. Doesn't make sense to say that a company needs to go back to the drawing board but then give them high scores.

No doubt, this is very true. On the gear junkie side of things I went years without buying another rod. Then I found Paff, four in the last year and some . Now granted really good deals on all of them so really it doesn't count as a "new rod" purchase right? Railking, I know where you're coming from.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 6:26

I dislike stuff like this. Stuff like this couldn't be a more literal 'different strokes for different folks' thing. It's also hosted by a fly shop, so I'm sure they don't have an agenda to sell the rods that have the more gross profit in them.

Also, the way he does his tied ranking system is weird.

The Hardy Artisan and Sage should be tied for 5th not 4th, the Orvis and St. Croix should be tied for 7th not 5th, etc. The ranking of the rod in last place should be equal to the number of rods in the shoot out, not just some number.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 10:01

The Shootout...
Where AsIan Blanks Prove Again And Again They Are Better Than Their Us Made Counterparts
The Only Opinion That Matters Should Be Your Own.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 21:24

From Eastern PA
Quote:

wsender wrote:
I dislike stuff like this. Stuff like this couldn't be a more literal 'different strokes for different folks' thing. It's also hosted by a fly shop, so I'm sure they don't have an agenda to sell the rods that have the more gross profit in them.

YSA does sell a fair amount of the rods they review and it is my understanding that dealer mark up is generally around 100% on most premium rods. They also have an amazing shop and are pretty decent all around guys. But ya, so many things are subjective.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 0:06

"best rod...??? prob my mystic m-series 3wt."

interesting. I have a dozen fly rods, best is mystic m-series 2wt

Posted on: 2013/5/8 6:02

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com