Furled Leaders

SlumpBuster

SlumpBuster

Does anyone use furled leaders. I was thinking about switching to them and wondered if they were worth it. Thanks.

The only way to see if this is right for you would be to get one and give it a try.

I tried one a couple of times. Others may like them, but they're not my cup of tea. In the plus column the leader can lay out a dry fly nicely. In the minus column they can spray water. Bottom line for me is, if you can cast adequately with a mono leader, you don't need these. Your mileage may vary.

beeber

Use the searhc feature, the topic was covered well a short while ago

Tried a furled leader a few years back and now have them on all my gear. I disagree that they spray water. A braided leader will spray water but not a furled. They are not the same.

I turned a couple of people on to them with the same result. Turn over beautifully, pick up easily, last forever, change tippet or tippet length in a flash, can nymph with them. No down side for me.

I made the switch a couple of years ago and use them exclusively. They transfer energy quite well and are a joy to use. Furled leaders do not spray, so don't be concerned about that. They are quite fun to build and you can customize them to your style, line weight, fishing condition (wet / dry), etc. Another fantastic aspect to this obsession.

Ditto what Augustwest wrote. I have them on all my lines.
Coughlin

Are Furled Leaders the same as a Braided Leader?

OlyphantLacky wrote:
Are Furled Leaders the same as a Braided Leader?

No, furled leaders are made from long twists of leader material. In fact, I think one strand. Loops are laid out on a peg board, and then twisted (furled) to create a tapered leader.

Braided leaders are a number of leader material strands braided together. Strands are clipped off as the leader is built, so that the leader tapers down.

Furled leaders are less prone to spraying water and fraying because of the difference in construction. Both are generally made of thread. I believe that furled leaders are supposed to give a more delicate presentation.

I've made my own furled leaders. The presentation is very delicate, but I felt that the turnover suffered making presentations less accurate. Mucilin with silicone works very well for floating the leaders, but the containers are terrible.

I just rediscovered this link for furled leader butts: http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/185
It's easier to understand then the globalflyfisher article, because it's written in English as a first language and with English measurements. It explains using Uni-thread instead of mono. And there are much better photos. I have never made one. Therefore I have no personal experience to pass on. But it's now on my winter to-do list.
Larry

Back