Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Framed Pontoon Help...

Thanks guys... I have drifted many times in a 3 man creek craft and am very comfortable with that boat but its time for my own... I have a buddy that's willing to split with me an we cannot decide between 2/3 man... $ definitely an issue... As for a one man rig I just never knew if it would work. We've fished clarion river mostly which is small water but I know we're looking to hit some bigger water too in pa... We streamer fish primarily but will stop an nymph / dry's etc... I just figured a one man rig would be real hard to navigate an fish... We've been looking for used stuff but it goes like hot cakes on line. Thanks for the input guys.

Posted on: 1/19 19:23

From Red Hill, Montgomery County, Pa
Drews, just to address your concerns on control. My Assualt has oars, but the front is open and you use fins...it is a raft/kickboat.
I have found the fins are a fantastic way to keep you positioned to exactly where you want to be. With a slight wave of your foot, the boat responds and you stay aimed where you want to. You never have to take your hands off the fly rod. It works very well.
I float the Delaware, Lehigh and Susqy rivers, as well as smaller streams and lakes. It is rated for class V water. I am not. I have taken it through some rapids that I would not have attempted with my canoe or Yak though. Lastly, since it is open in front, if you come to a spot that you would like to fish, you can simply stand up if it isn't too deep of course. Google the Scadden Assault to see some videos and specs....they stand up in boat and fish, but I don't see that as very productive or easy to do. Then again, they are trying to sell boats.
I am partial. I have a solo canoe, solo SOT yak and this solo raft. I don't like to have to depend on someone else to go out. Sometimes people switch jobs or get pushed to second shift and I don't like to spend time putting my boat together once I am ready to fish.
That is just me though.
Ok, I'll stop now, as I think I am starting to sound pushy and that is not my intention.

Posted on: 1/19 19:59

From Dauphin PA
You are correct that streamer fishing from a single boat iisn't exactly fun and it's probably less effective / efficient. From a 2 - 3 man boat or drift boat, much easier which = more fun.

I have used my x5 on Delaware, Susky near Hbg, Juniata, and Lehigh. Have used 2 man toon on Delaware and Yough. You should have zero concerns about the boats capabilities.

We have devised a method known as "the white trash drift boat". It works for streamer, nymph or dry fishing in mild sections of the river. We clip the rear boat to the front boat with stainless steel spring clips. Back boat gently back rows and steers while front boat stands and fishes. Works pretty good. Bladderless models don't have the required "d" rings so you have to buy them from NRS and install them. Since the boats pivot a little, you have to be easy on the oars or you'll dump the front man out of the boat. You'll getthe hang of it in 5 minutes and I announce 'hold on' if a strong oar stroke is needed. It works good enough LOL.

It sounds like you should probably get the 2 man model. If you head out alone, you can remove the front seat and put a turf covered platform on the front half of boat. Get to a big flat section and you can hop up front and start slinging streamers. If you are torn between a boat with 2 single pontoons versus the wraparound 'unitrac' pontoon, I'll recommend the unitrac. It's a tad heavier, has 4 chambers but it feels more solid. The frame and bladders feel like they are 1 solid piece. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up getting.

Posted on: 1/19 22:53

From Lehigh Valley PA
+1 for NFO. I have a 2 man and love it. easy to set up, take down... I don't have a trailer so entire boat, frame, oars, etc. are packed into the back of my Subaru. Very stable, easy to row.

I did have issues with the customer service when ordering some accessories... Basically, took forever to get delivered, but I will say that the one item I had a problem with NFO took care of right away. I wouldn't let this be a deal breaker.

Posted on: 1/20 11:53

From Harpers Ferry, WV
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am currently shopping for the same thing. I hope I can add my research to it as I also learned from lurking on the forum for the last few days. I will be buying the NFO McKenzie Drifter. I looked at a few of the fish cats and such, I just can not beat the warranty and the fact that it is so light, and I can convert it from two to one person. I emailed them the other night for suggestions along with Outcast and the email I received back from Scadden was great. Very helpful people. Outcast, I like their boats, but, their customer service was not helpful and I learned more about their product by reading here and other areas on the web. There is a show in New Jersey this weekend that they are at if anyone is interesting.

Posted on: 1/20 21:21

From Dauphin PA
Tip from a cheapskate....

Call NFO this week and get a price for the boat (preferably from Dave himself). Then get a price at the NJ show. Odds are they won't be the same. Also get s&h charge from both.....buy the cheaper offer. Might save you $50-$300. Use that money for spare oarlock, spare oar, patch kit, life vests or whatever. I think you will be happy with the product. If you have any questions about assembly or repairs, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Posted on: 1/20 23:10

From Westmoreland Co
Kray is right on with this one. Take the best price he gives you, then haggle with him for upgrades. I've talked to Dave quite a few times on the phone and it can change one conversation to another. Be prepared to call many times to get all of your stuff. You'll be happy once everything arrives though as they are great boats.

Posted on: 1/21 11:37

From Harpers Ferry, WV
I am not sure if I am able to share prices, but, I just received a great price in the McKenzi drifter and whole host of extras. I will most likely order by the end of the week. I just need to find learning material to teach me how to row it and fish from it. Thanks everyone for the help and advice. In the few days I have been lurking on this site I have learned a lot.

Thanks everyone

Posted on: 1/21 12:11

From Dauphin PA
Charlie..... I'm going to take a guess as to what you were offered.....

McKenzie boat for $1799 - $1899 with free shipping.

Upgrades (which just happen to be standard):
Padded / custom seats
Lazer Lok frame
Upgraded oarlocks
Standing platforms
Lean bar
Cargo bags
Through frame anchor system

Unless he's giving you a pump, anchor or carbon fiber oars, you aren't really getting anything out of the ordinary other than the free shipping.

If you did better than my guess, good for you. Take the deal and run!!

Posted on: 1/21 13:08

From West Chester, PA
It's prob too late at this point but if you contact Scadden ahead of time he will bring the boat you want to Somerset. They use it for display and you take it home on Sunday for about 40% off retail. I've done it on my 2-man and had a buddy do it as well on an outlaw assault - both frameless and THE way to go..

Posted on: 1/21 15:38

From Dauphin PA
Can you really stand in the frameless without worrying about tearing up the PVC?

Posted on: 1/21 15:52

From Westmoreland Co
You *can stand up in the frameless boats, but it's not ideal. It's easy enough to dump a guy in a framed model. One quick movement of the oars and that guy is swimming. I had a light duty frame made for my Assault xxx, which I added a front lean bar to. It's not perfect but it provides nice padded, pedestal seats and oar towers, which I like much better. I do add protection to the boat as I cut a piece of outdoor carpet and put it under the frame for the guy up front.

Still working out some of the kinks but it's serviceable. Alby has fished a couple times from it and can attest it works. Another trip or two and I should have all the kinks worked out to my 'custom' (read me cheaping out to save $$ and weight) frame.

*I wouldn't trust a roughed up boot stud directly contacting the PVC.

Posted on: 1/21 16:17

From Westmoreland Co
PS as Kray said some of that 'extra' stuff is standard. I got a great price on my boat plus had him throw in: travel bag, anchor, anchor system and pump. The retail markup on that stuff is crazy. A little bit of sweet talking and he'll include it.

Posted on: 1/21 16:20

From West Chester, PA
Yes, I can stand no problem - however, how Scadden rigs the frameless 2 man is genius. You sit up high in the front and it makes fishing almost as good as standing up, and WAY more comfy. Trust me, we have 2 hard drift boats which are the ticket, but for smaller streams, access issues, etc that frameless Excalibur XX has been unbelievably effective... I've owned and fished out of other framed models. I can't even say that they are more sturdy. I've found the frame to tangle line, they are heavy, don't respond well to rowing in tough conditions, and are a nightmare to put together at times. Again, for my $ I'd go with a hard boat hands down, but I really am impressed with the Scadden 2 man

Posted on: 1/21 17:23

From Glendora nj
I bought a used Scadden, how do you maintain the bladders when storing them? Fill with some air or completely deflate? Do you recommend any product to protect the pvc from dry-rot or anything else? thanks in advance.

Posted on: 1/21 19:45

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com