Found Rod and Reel....

Marv_Levy

Marv_Levy

Found it while in the basement of my dads house. Turns out it was gift he got in the 70s from someone he never took it out. So it's been sitting in the basement above some pipes for 35 years. The rod is a Pflueger Graph Glass 115 F 8' 6" then it has 3 letters DEA which I found out means it was made in October 1976. The reel is a Shakespeare 7914 Alpha.

My question is u think I could spool it up and take it out fishing and if so what should I be catching with it since I don't know what weight rod it is?

Marv,
Good find,time to get some Mojo on this stick.First things first, do you have several reels with different floating lines? I would start with a 5 weight line ,my preference is a double taper or a triangle taper your milage may vary. See how it casts, if it feels right go with it, also try a 6 weight and 4 weight line on it.
You might be surprised at how much you enjoy glass.One things for sure there is a recent resurgence in interest in Glass rods an there arae even a few folks making the blanks again.
I have to laugh at all the baloney with fast sticks.My preference is for a medium to medium fast stick again milage may vary.
But the last 6-7 years i have been actually using a Hexagraph,and my First rod a cortland grf 1000 alot since i have been huntin on small streams.the hexagraph is medium maybe a skosch on the medium fast side, the cortland would be considered medium for sure.
If you dont have the lines or reels i could meet you and try casting different lines, i have some reels with different weight lines on them.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
please let us all know how you make out.

Back