Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Fly tying - taking the plunge; which vise?

vise choices probably depend on how much u are going to use it , its kinda like a car , how many miles you gonna put on the thing in what amount of time !!!! if your not going to tie much then a cheapy would probably last a long time , but if u start selling and swaping flies and lose alot of them , then get a good vise so it last longer !

Posted on: 2009/9/23 20:20

The Renzetti Traveler.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 23:09

From philadelphia
thompson AA,till you know you're going to stick with it.spend the extra money on material.

i use a renzetti traveller that my girl bought me,i love it.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 7:38

From Chester County
Quote:

shakey wrote:
thompson AA,till you know you're going to stick with it.spend the extra money on material.

i use a renzetti traveller that my girl bought me,i love it.

I agree 100%. Get yourself a basic vise that holds hooks well, that's really the bottom line on vises. If you really get into it, you will have a clue as to what is best for you, and can buy a more expensive vise. BTW, I too wouldn't trade my Renzetti Traveler for any vise.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 8:27

From West Newton
Like a few others have already mentioned, I've got a Regal and absolutely love it. I wouldn't hesitate a bit to recommend one. Mine has the pedestal base and the stainless steel jaws, which are more resistant to chipping and hold a wider range of hooks in "trout sizes" than the standard jaws do. I tie about 2,000-3,000 flies a year, so my vise really gets a good workout. I've had absolutely no problems with the Regal thus far. It will hold any size hook without adjustment, which is a really cool feature when you're tying a bunch of different sizes. The machining on the Regal is top-notch.

I've tied on (and owned) quite a few vises over the years including Renzetti, Dyna-King and HMH and my Regal is by far the one I like the most. Of course vises are very much a personal preference and what I like, you may not.

-Darryl

Posted on: 2009/9/26 10:11

I would sugest you try a few out. Whats good for one guy may not be good for you. Go to your local fly shop and ask to try them. Look for a vise with a heavy base, for stabillity. make sure you feel comfortable with the way it opperates.

Posted on: 2009/9/26 21:24

From Bozeman
Enlighten me.

I have used a rotary twice, but most of my experience came tying in Don's place at the bighorn. I volunteered to tie for all of us while we watched caddyshack, ate spaghetti, and drank beer. It was one of the most enjoyable moments of my life. Anyway, I always half hitched before using the rotary feature and hung the thread on that little arm that sticks out in front of the vise and gets in the way. I am assuming that's how you do it?

Don,
If you read this, what kind of vise was that? It was nice.

Posted on: 2009/9/26 21:27

From philadelphia
how does one eat spaghetti and tye at the same time??haha

jay,your welcome to use my renzetti traveller anytime.i'm right up the street from you.

Posted on: 2009/9/27 1:08

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

shakey wrote:
how does one eat spaghetti and tye at the same time??

Dubbing Twister?

Posted on: 2009/10/2 17:53

doesn't the sauce make the dry flys sink ?

Posted on: 2009/10/5 19:50

From Stevens
My wife got me a dyna-king kingfisher the other year for Christmas at the Evening Rise, I like it a lot and I believe it is in that price range. It is a pedestal base which I like, breaks down nicely and it is easily portable, ie to take to work in your spare time.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 21:14

From Butler
Peak Rotary

Posted on: 2009/10/6 2:39

From Harrisburg
Regal

There is no technique in fly tying that can only be done on a rotary vise. Keep in mind that everything you will ever do while fly tying was done first on a non-rotary vise. A half hitch and 10 seconds to turn the hook over in the vise will allow you to see the bottom of any fly you will ever tie.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 22:54
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Quote:
ErnieBall on 2009/10/6 2:39:00

Peak Rotary

You have a Peak too Ernie?

Quote:
TimMurphy on 2009/10/7 22:54:30

Regal

There is no technique in fly tying that can only be done on a rotary vise. Keep in mind that everything you will ever do while fly tying was done first on a non-rotary vise. A half hitch and 10 seconds to turn the hook over in the vise will allow you to see the bottom of any fly you will ever tie.

Dear Tim Murphy,

I think this is the first time I've ever seen you post without a Salutation at the beginning of your post

I don't disagree that a rotary is not completely necessary and flies can be tied without using this feature. I learned with a cheapie vise and tied on it for 10 years before replacing mine with a Peak Rotary. There are a few flies that I tie where the rotary aspect comes in very handy but I am still getting used to using it to be honest. It's nice to have though, it gives me options.

I guess it's like everything else though--progress and technology have taken over. Please don't tell me that you still listen to a crystal radio, watch black and white TV and use a HiFi Stereo to listen to your music Really though, like anything else, tie on what you're comfortable with and if it works for you, that's all that counts.

Regards,

Jaybo41

Posted on: 2009/10/7 23:31

Quote:

TimMurphy wrote:
There is no technique in fly tying that can only be done on a rotary vise.

How about rotary tying?? speed wrapping chenile or hackle?

[youtube][/youtube]

Posted on: 2009/10/11 20:11

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com