Fly Wallets

Swattie87

Swattie87

Anybody use these? Other than that they look cool, what are the main upsides, and drawbacks? Seems like they'd make the most sense for streamers?

Been thinking of getting one to replace my warm water box. Mostly streamers and poppers with a few big nymphs and big dries. Considering the LLBean Maine Guide Waxed Canvas.

Other than being steeped in olde-timey goodness, there's little to no advantage over an alternate, modern, carrier.

However, you can't use barbs (they'll rip the pages), you can't use bulky flies, it probably carries less than a fancy slimline case, and if you dunk the whole thing you'll end up with a sopping mess of rusting flies.

I bought a very nice one from an ebay vendor last year.

The Beaner one is only a one page, folded over.

Frost River sells some but I've not personally seen them or ordered from this company. I like the idea of fly wallets but I just can't bring myself to smash my flies.

turkey wrote:
I like the idea of fly wallets but I just can't bring myself to smash my flies.

This is basically where I'm at with it, and why I thought it would be best suited for streamers and/or nymphs as opposed to dries. Thanks for the responses so far guys.

the little plastic parts boxes found at big box stores are as good as any way to carry streamers.

Back