Fly Tying Desktop Organizers

U

Upstream

I have one desk in my work area that has to be shared between my job and my hobbies. I have been thinking for years about expanding my desk space to allow enough space for all of it. Jury is still out on that. But, as an alternative or interim solution, I've been looking at some items that might be called Fly Tying Desktop Organizers such as the following one.

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Fly-Tying-Bench-Desk-Top-P3095.aspx

This would allow me to keep all my tools and the materials that I am currently working with, all laid out and ready to go the next time I want to spend some time at the vice. When I am done for the day, I can put the whole thing out of the way so I can use the desk for my other work.

Anyone have any experience with this type of equipment? Pros and cons? Local manufacturers? Do it yourself plans?

This is exactly what I did. I built it myself for for $30 bucks and I got everything at walmart.

http://www.tvangler.com/2008/04/10/insane-tactics-building-a-fly-tying-station-on-a-budget/

mcwjilla,
Thanks. That's perfect. Gonna build one this weekend.

My tying desk also pulls double duty.

My tools stay in the bag with the vice. It's a travel, pedestal style vice with it's own bag and the bag has tool holders. That bag then goes in the drawer of the desk. But I don't tie enough that it's such a hassle to dig them out and put them away. Like, one session a month is about all I do.

Big hackles and other bulky items, I'm terrible. I just put them all in a plastic grocery bag and just put them in the drawer, on top of the vice bag.

At the bottom, under "more items in fly tying furniture", I'm not sure if you see the same stuff I do. But I see a spool safe, and I do have that one and like it. Thread always proved difficult for me to store right until I got that. It's on the desk permanently.

I have a container thingy to hold smaller odds and ends. It's about a foot high and 2 feet wide and has a bunch of small drawers. I think it's made to hold nuts and bolts, but the drawers are deeper than the type of stuff you see at Lowes. It's ancient. I picked it up at a garage sale for like $2. It's got all my deer hair patches, random dubbing pouches, microfibbets, rarely used tools, rarely used hook packages, wader repair kits, and other small items. It too stays on the desk.

Then I have a plano box with labeled, commonly used hook sizes which sits on top of the above container, as well as a plano style dubbing dispenser.

i have had an Oasis, (oasisbenches.com), for several years that is very similar to what you are looking at. I loved it at first. I could easily move it around and tie at the kitchen table, in front of the computer, in front of the TV, etc. Recently, I took over a small bedroom in the house which is now my fishing room. I am thinking of getting rid of the oasis and use separate stand alone tool caddies, thread holders, etc so that I can spread out over my desk.

KeithS wrote:
mcwjilla,
Thanks. That's perfect. Gonna build one this weekend.

Your welcome. I have used mine now for over 5 years and it's held up really well. It was really easy to build too. Just look for the 3 set of wooden cutting boards at Walmart, hopefully they still sell them. It's 1 large, 1 med, and 1 small board. you will need a hole saw bit as well.

Back