Fly Lines

mystillwater

mystillwater

Thought i'd raise the subject again. I'm sure it's been discussed before but with all the new products that are available and the phrase "fly line" not containing enough characters to be searchable i thought i'd start a new thread.

i'm looking for a general purpose floating fly line for my new 4wt. i'll fish mostly nymphs but also occasional streamers or drys. mostly smaller streams. i've fished orvis wonderline and silver label. i've also uses rio trout lines. i'm looking for suggestions for something else. price isn't the biggest issue. i'd just like to find a line that makes short casts easily and has a nice feel to it. i'm curious what most of you are using.

thanks!

maybe start here?

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13489&forum=3&post_id=175736#forumpost175736

seems like a good deal and i may try it but looking for some lines that folks have tried and like.

I highly recommend looking at the lines Allen Reels sale. I picked up a 3 and 4 wt and they are great. They fish as good as lines that cost 5 times there price.

i am ordering a few Allen Lines (hard to pass up at that pice) but i'd still like some non-Allen suggestions.

mystillwater wrote:
i am ordering a few Allen Lines (hard to pass up at that pice) but i'd still like some non-Allen suggestions.

ok, My other line is a Sharkskin line...I won it in a raffle. Its is one of the best lines I have ever used. It retails for $99.

Other wise I would just have bought a Cortland 333 a few years ago when I needed a new one. I got almost 10 years out of one.

if your fishing small streams with nymphs , and your using a 4wt rod , line it with 5wt double taper and try it , u will be surprised and when u want u can turn it arround too

I bought an airflow ridge line a few months ago and really like it.
It shoots very nicely. And the price was right - only $30 on sale

i have sharkskin and Cortland 333(it was the 25$ bag at cabalas) and like them both. i had a Rio and HATED IT.

the Cortland i like for smaller streams cause it is not as "slippy" in the guides. it does everything i need it to do..

if u need to cast at all, the sharkskin is the bomb. it just flys out the guides. supple,smooth and just all around great. you will be saying YAAA Buddy. with a sly grin when you cast it for the first time.

The down side of the sharkskin is if u pick up the tip of your rod and don't have much line out the end it will instantly slide down to the reel. were not talking straight up and down. just a little elevation will cause it to slide. it becomes a pain. It also makes a noise every time it goes threw the guides. it is the rough skin so it makes this ZZZZZZzzzz ZZZ zzzzZZZZ .

~Redsun

I'll second Ridge Airflow, it's a really nice line. Also, if you do a lot of roll casting the Wolff Triangle Taper line is really a nice line.

I tried Rio lines and within 1 year the finish was cracked on 2 lines. I've got Scientific Anglers XPS line and this is nice line but I like the Ridge and Wolff lines better.

I'm the opposite of the rest of the group. I have a 5 WT Airflow Ridge Line and am not a fan... get it wet and it sinks like a rock. I'd recommend Sci Anglers and Rio. I'd get a Double Taper based on the type of fishing you described.

I am a Rio fan, I've used mostly the Grand, but also have Selective Trout line which is now the Trout LT. I like their Indicator line as well and have heard good things about Gold.

Cortland makes a pretty good line as well, which you could get at Hook & Hackle under their label for a nice price. There are many fans of this line here.

I had GPX and was not a fan, I know others do like it though. I have cast the Sharkskin and it does rip out the line, but you'll need to get used to the "zing". I have heard that cleaning it is best in soap & water and not to treat it with line conditioners/cleaner.

I have had some lines "crack" but chalked that up to older line stock, I'm not convinced it's Rio specific, but think this is a possibility with any manufacturer. Other's opinions may be different. I don't like DT lines, I prefer WF.

When you say "small streams" can you expand on that? Tight brushy, open, width, etc. How long of a cast do you need to make on average? Also, what's the lenghth and make of that 4wt? I have found that some rods seem to perform better with certain lines.

Allen lines are worth a look, if for no other reason than price--haven't fished them yet. I'd think smaller streams where the line can take a beating, it's inexpensively replaced.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0078340321468a.shtml

Can't beat that deal. I have fished it twice and like it a lot so far.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0043884.shtml

My go-to. It's a cortland line with the cabelas name.

Since I started using this, all of my lines have been great performers.

Rio gold is a wonderful line. I'd used 444SL from Cortland for over 20 yrs. I went to get some and they were out. The guy in the shop suggested Rio Gold. Unless I have product problems, I don't think I'll ever change back. I think the taper will allow you to load the rod in shorter casting situations. It's around $69. I also picked up SA Sharkskin this winter. It sounds funny but performs well. The reviews on it were very good. Interesting concept and so far, it's performed great. It's to be super durable and the $99 price is a bit much but if it lasts 2-3 times what a regular line does, you'll come out ahead.

Bottom line: If you are making short casts, nymphing or streamer fishing, you can get away with a low price line. If you are looking for more distance and high floating, spend the extra $$.

How long is your 4w and how fast? I have a fast 8' 5w I use for small streams and loaded it with Rio Grand. It's been awesome. It's heavy, so it's almost like overlining, casts well, and really gets my short rod to load in tight quarters.

jayL wrote:
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0078340321468a.shtml

Can't beat that deal. I have fished it twice and like it a lot so far.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0043884.shtml

My go-to. It's a cortland line with the cabelas name.

Since I started using this, all of my lines have been great performers.

I got this one Jay http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=2T43&dir_id=758&group_id=17289&cat_id=17293&subcat_id=17303
And I have no complaints so far .

I have used cleaners like that. Zipcast is totally unique, and has been superior thus far.

were do you get zipcast I'll buy some and just use it on the tool

The link I posted above is the only place that I know of. The guy is in downingtown.

Ive been using a line that Hookhack.com sells. Its pretty cheap, but its great. Floats high, mends easily, and shoots well. Cant go wrong for the price, I believe others on here use it.

Back