Fly Line

TWEEK

TWEEK

Hey all,

im looking for a new fly line...i have a Three Forks 7'6" 3wt (awesome for the price!!) the line i got with the rod and reel is getting to be more of a bother then an asset...it is cheap and getting cracks and all that jazz...i need a new line and some information on what line i would like...i do a lot of dry fly fishing in the spring and nymph all winter...so i guess im looking for a really good DT all-around fly line that will last and can be abused and still float...i take care of my line don't get me wrong i just need a good fly line and want to get the best i can especially if im looking at paying $60...any input is great...thanks and tight lines!!

It's still hard to beat the Cortland 444 Peach.

Good Luck,
Rolf

Rolf wrote:
It's still hard to beat the Cortland 444 Peach.

Good Luck,
Rolf

Unless you hate it, which some of us do. I ended up giving mine away it was so bad.

I actually like the cheaper Cortland lines the 333 is good and holds up. I like the Orvis Wonderlines too. Scientific Anglers and RIO make nice lines. The most expensive lines are the softer ones, and these will not hold up as long as the cheap, hard ones.

Pad we need to fish together more often! Get well damn it! Funny, I ended up giving away the Wonderline as I felt it had too much memory. I have a Rio WF but have only fished it perhaps a dozen times. So far so good but it's to early to tell.

Rolf

Wulff Triangle taper. IMHO, casts well, floats well, lasts long, good for roll casts. I use it on all my trout rods.

afishinado wrote:
Wulff Triangle taper. IMHO, casts well, floats well, lasts long, good for roll casts. I use it on all my trout rods.

I was going to recommend that line also, except that the poster said he likes DT lines. I agree that the line roll casts very well, probably better than a DT. However, some people really like the idea of reversing the line.

Get well damn it!

Workin' on it. I'm getting a little stronger every week. I haven't walked on my own yet, but I do get to walk with help of parrallel bars and my therapist.

I'm with Padraic on this one...we discussed this a little while back and I think a lot of us said the Cortland 333 lines were better then a lot of the more expensive lines out there on the market. The 333 lines are what I have on all my fly rods now. I've tried the high end SA lines, Cortland 444 and 555 lines and I now have learned that the cheap 333 lines hold up and perform the best for how I like to fish.

I'll agree with the Cortland preference as well, but add that the yellow, 333HT are a little nice than the basic Green 333. I once had one last me almost ten years. It was double taper and I turned it around but 4 of those years were in Idaho and I was fishing over 200 days a year.

Be careful with the Orvis Wonder line. Its a funny product. Its either great or terrible out of the box. My new wonderline DT floating sunk like a rock the first time I used it.

CaptMatt wrote:
Be careful with the Orvis Wonder line. Its a funny product. Its either great or terrible out of the box. My new wonderline DT floating sunk like a rock the first time I used it.

If you would have or will contact Orvis about it, I believe they would immediately replace it for you. That is the one great thing about them is they go the full mile, at least, to leave you satisfied.

JackM your exactly right. I work for Orvis in Fort Myers part time and the return policy and customer service is great. If your buying line for a trip or need it immediately its not a gamble I would want to take. I still use Orvis line because I can send it back and put new stuff on it immediately however, I’ve began not to trust it as a product. By the time you realize that your floating line sinks it could cost a big part of the day. Love the rods and reels but the line can leave little to be desired.

That's what I thought about Orvis until a couple of weeks ago I tried to return a rain jacket I bought about 4 years ago. Guess what? I didn't have the original receipt and it cost over $100.

At Orvis's direction, I sent it back to them, asked them to repair the zipper or replace it with a similar jacket. I wasn't looking for an money.

What I got back was a gift card for $34.50(the cheapest cost they ever sold that jacket for) and not jacket. The letter said they "didn't want to leave me empty handed".

Now, not only didn't I have a receipt, but I didn't even have a jacket- they threw it out or lost it.

After about 5 or 6 calls, and many frustrating conversations, they are finally shipping a new one to me.

The moral is, 100% guarantees are not always what they seem.

Dale

Had a similar situation with an Orvis reel. It started grinding, so sent it back to get it fixed. They returned it and charged something like $10.00 (in addition to shipping and handling), and they didn't correct the problem with the reel.

Wulff-Man wrote:
Had a similar situation with an Orvis reel. It started grinding, so sent it back to get it fixed. They returned it and charged something like $10.00 (in addition to shipping and handling), and they didn't correct the problem with the reel.

For the converse, I too had a problem with areel. A battinkill multiplier. The arbor bushing was loose effectively eliminatiing the drag. It spun freely. They fixed mine, and replaced the housing, which used to grind.

:)

Hey Maurice: PPPPBBBBBBBBBT!!! :p

Just got my new $169 Orvis rain jacket in the mail, a day after they sent me a $34.50 refund check. That after receiving a $34.50 gift card.

Now that's some kind of guarantee!!

I have fished Orvis and Rio lines and I would definatly recommend the Rio Selective Trout.

I use Cortland and Orvis lines on my fly rods. I am somewhat of a novice in fly fishing so I lack the experience and knowledge of most of you on this board, but I have not been able to discern much difference in the performance of the two lines. The Orvis line, which fishes very well, costs twice as much as the Cortland 333HT. I must say that I have caught as many fish with the cheaper line as with the other line. It causes me to question what makes one line that much more expensive than the other.

Sockman

Sockman wrote:
I must say that I have caught as many fish with the cheaper line as with the other line. It causes me to question what makes one line that much more expensive than the other.

Sockman

One word....Marketing

To me any line out of the box fishes like another out of the box. So it becomes a question of longevity. How long will they last. Now there is your testament for value. A bang for the buck. Thats what I'm after.

At least thats the way I see it...with one crooked eye.

Back