Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fly Line

From Southeast PA
Hey Maurice: PPPPBBBBBBBBBT!!!

Posted on: 2006/12/8 12:29

From Yardley, PA
Just got my new $169 Orvis rain jacket in the mail, a day after they sent me a $34.50 refund check. That after receiving a $34.50 gift card.

Now that's some kind of guarantee!!

Posted on: 2006/12/11 16:16

I have fished Orvis and Rio lines and I would definatly recommend the Rio Selective Trout.

Posted on: 2006/12/12 18:55

From Lebanon County, PA
I use Cortland and Orvis lines on my fly rods. I am somewhat of a novice in fly fishing so I lack the experience and knowledge of most of you on this board, but I have not been able to discern much difference in the performance of the two lines. The Orvis line, which fishes very well, costs twice as much as the Cortland 333HT. I must say that I have caught as many fish with the cheaper line as with the other line. It causes me to question what makes one line that much more expensive than the other.

Sockman

Posted on: 2006/12/12 22:13

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Sockman wrote:
I must say that I have caught as many fish with the cheaper line as with the other line. It causes me to question what makes one line that much more expensive than the other.

Sockman

One word....Marketing

To me any line out of the box fishes like another out of the box. So it becomes a question of longevity. How long will they last. Now there is your testament for value. A bang for the buck. Thats what I'm after.

At least thats the way I see it...with one crooked eye.

Posted on: 2006/12/12 22:19

From chester ct
Maurice - to take your long term value out a longer time frame, you are a candidate for silk. I hear tell that they last 10 times as long as the plastic lines.

I'm conducting tests on all of these, but I don't know if I have enough lifetimes to find out the answer. I track the ffishing hours on all my lines (less than 200, though not much less ). The worst lines for longevity/durability were mistreated Masterlines, some experimental lines (which never got to market), and a few cheapos (though not all) - these might have gotten to 35 hrs.

I used to consider Cortland peach 444's as the benchmark, since they would go up to 300 hrs per side (I prefer DT), while the average at that time of others was 150hrs.

More recent lines tend to be better - I just passed 300 on an old Airflo, which is now finally broken in so most of the twisties are gone. And I see various SciAng. other Cortland, RIO's, Orvises, and Airflos tend to go way past 200 and still looking reasonably ok.

The most I have on any silk is 113.6, so I guess it is just getting broken in.

tl
les

Posted on: 2006/12/13 10:53

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com