Fly Line Preferences

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

What of these options do you prefer in a fly line?

WF or DT?

welded loop or not?

Color preference?

Mine is WF because that's pretty much all I've ever bought

I like the welded loop. Easier to change out leaders but I can do without it.

And I'm partial to Greens and Yellows.

Almost all mine are WF. I prefer not to have the welded loop on mine. (no reason, just prefer it that way)

I really like yellow if I can find it. Right now I am fishing some white river fly line that is white and really light blue. That combination I really have liked.

1. DT. Don't think it makes much difference when casting normal PA type distances. DT for the longevity factor, you can turn em over and use the other side after one side wears out. But it's not a strong preference.

2. No. When they have one I cut it off and tie a nail knot anyway, but no big deal either way.

3. If given the choice, I prefer dark olives and natural colors. I have no problem seeing fly line regardless of color. It probably very rarely makes much difference, and it's not a necessity, but all else being equal I'll take more natural colors out of hope it spooks less fish.

To me, all the floating fly lines cast just fine, I haven't really noticed differences. The biggest difference between em seems to be how high it floats, and longevity.

All of my lines are WF also.

I prefer the welded loop because it's easier to reel in through the guides if I have to, and it is easier to change leaders. My lines that don't have a welded loop I just used a nail knot to tie on a short piece of heavy mono, and then tied a perfection loop to the end to attach the leader to.

All of my lines are yellow or light green, but to me it doesn't really matter.

Honestly I buy what is on sale and meets the specs I need (5wt, floating, etc). Everything else is secondary. I do like the loop end, but if its not on there, no biggie.

I have all WF lines now, but I think for the style of fishing I typically do I will probably start buying DT.

If I plan on nymphing I usually over line to load the rod for roll casting.

i guess WF

There are so many specialty tapers that really out perform the traditional DT/WF profile... all of which would fall under WF

i can't think of a DT i'd want to fish
or a reason to buy a DT

My standard "fishing" distance is probably about 20 ft of fly line off the tip. Add a 9ish foot leader and that's a 30 ft cast. And I MUCH more commonly go shorter than that than longer.

Up to those distances, the differences between tapers are pretty much meaningless. It's true at long distance, like upwards of 50 feet, that WF shoots better and double tapers roll cast better. But at normal fishing distances there's pretty much no difference at all.

So I don't see a big advantage to either. Other than longevity and the ability to turn a DT around and use the other half. In fact, on my dedicated short distance outfits, I actually cut the line in half and just use half of it, and keep the other half in storage until it's time to replace the line.

I have no preference for taper. I own both and the taper does not matter much on the waters I fish. I do prefer welded loops and subdued colors.

I prefer a line that floats well and is in a subdued color. I usually buy WF but DT is fine too. I prefer to get as close as possible, usually within 30ft, sometimes further but not often. I usually buy Rio Gold and be done with it but they all seem similar to me. I tried the textured lines but didnt like them at all, thr noise and feel were too weird for me but I'm sure they work fine.

I prefer DT for just about all of my trout applications...basic reason it can be turned around, or cut in half in the case of Brookie fishing, and you get twice the life out of it. For warmwater fishing or trout fishing on the BIG streams where I am more apt to bomb some casts out there I like having the WF...not that it necessarily makes an appreciable difference most of the time. Of the three reels I currently fish with one has DT4 on it, one has DT5, and one has WF5.

I like the welded loop and will pay a little extra to get it...if a line doesn't have it I'll tie a perfection loop in the end of the line and the welded loop always ends up being smaller and cleaner. I use furled leaders and loop to loop is a beautiful thing and has little to no ill effect on casting IMO.

Not too picky on color...it's the last attribute I consider in a fly line purchase and only use it to break ties. I guess I like the classic neon green and bright orange if you made me choose...definitely not a sticking point though.

Cool thread Ry...kinda bummed we didn't get a chance to meet at the Jam...next year!

i like wf on warm water lines. dt on trout lines...however i ended up with a wf on the 3wt due to a brain fart. really like the welded loop.
pretty much hung up on scientific anglers lines. i do not care about color other than i do not like bright colors.

Swattie87 wrote:
Cool thread Ry...kinda bummed we didn't get a chance to meet at the Jam...next year!

This years JAM was a double edged sword for me. Got to catch up with all the people I've gotten to know over the years and had some good fishing, but didn't get to meet very many new people. You guys will all just have to come to the Steelhead JAM.

Thanks for the participation in the thread. There's a method to the madness and maybe I'll post on that later.

WF. Color..... pink, orange, green, doesn't matter to me. All I've fished for the last 20 years is WF. Just bought a Rio LT in a WF3F. Used it for 4 hours on the Tully. I'd rather cut it up and use it for laces in my sneakers than fish with it. IMO..... AWFUL.

Krayfish,
Rio makes the Trout Lt in double taper, i bet youll like that better.

Personally i prefer a double taper Cortland 444, only two lines that are not double tapers that i also like,Rio Windcutter,and Wulff Triangle Taper.
for color i prefer Mint green, Peach, the The Triangle Taper comes in olive, bright steelhead orange,and traditional white, i prefer white or orange.
I prefer to tie nail knots, even that loop is hard on the guides.

I do like Rio Gold. I have windcutter somewhere around here and thought it was OK, not great but just OK. I hadn't put a line on the 3wt reel in 10 years. The 444SL that was on it was cracked and falling apart / dry rotted from lack of use. Don't know what got me to try the LT but don't like it. I'm going to call RIO and see if they'll trade me or give me partial credit.

I think the rio slective trout LT, along with the previous version- "the selective trout II"... are some of the better casting dry fly lines

the LT is really a great taper that will hold a tight loop at distance
the turn over is effortless
30' and under- less is more
40-80'- stop high let the line do the work

but its not for idicator rigs and streamers

I was fishing a small cdc caddis pupa on the Tully. I'm no Steve Rajeff by am a fairly good caster (able to curve casts, tuck cast, check cast or throw it 65-70'). I don't think I've thrown a tailing loop since my first year of fly fishing. While false casting, the loop was super tight but when I tried to present the fly, slop. It looked to be a huge loop and the fly didn't want to get away from the end of the fly line. I was able to fish by checking the cast high but wasn't pleased with the way the line worked. I guess it wouldn't hurt to cut off the 4 year old leader that I recycled, install a new leader and give it a shot. I'm taking the 3wt to the Catskill JAM this week. If we get use of the driftboat, I want to try an catch one on a 3wt this year.

I still prefer DT lines - although it's getting a little hard to find them lately. For what a good line costs now, it definitely makes it worthwhile to be able to turn it around and get twice the use out of it IMO.

I've never had any problems with the welded loops, and just leave them on a line if it has it.

That said, I bought a WF ridge line 3 years ago. It was on sale for half price, so I decided to try it.
And I gotta say , it does cast really nice. It also seems to be very durable. After almost 3 years of hard fishing, it doesn't have a single crack in it.
Can't remember getting more than that amount of fishing - before turning it around - out of any other line I've had

Imho, Windcutters and Triangle Tapers do have a very good place, that would be on big water like rivers that get breezy.Delaware/Lehigh..also Pine Creek,Broadhead,are ones that come to mind where i use the wincutter or triangle taper and leave the double taper in the bag.
I recently discovered the Triangle Taper to be a favorite because it will single hand Spey cast as well as overhead cast too ,fishes indicators,and shoots streamers out where i need them.

Back