Fly Line Choice

O

outsider

I just bought a 6'-6" wispy 3 weight rod to use on small brook trout streams. I've been thinking about Cortland's Clear Creek line, which is olive in color, and has a "delicate presentation" taper. Anyone else use this line? Pro's and con's?

I am partial to Cortland lines. My other choice would be a double tapered line, but the color of the Clear Creek line and the taper intrigues me. Short distance casting, delicate presentation.

I use Cortland's "Clear Creek " line. I have a 2weight,3 weight and a 4 weight, all are WF. I really like this line as presentations are very delicate. They work very well on slow, flat water. My only complaint with this line is that when the light starts to fade the line disappears because of the dark olive color. Other than that I think they are great.

I'm now of the very vocal opinion that WF lines are silly on light rods.

I'm also a big fan of Cortland's Sylk line. Its not exactly a high floating line, but it looks nice and feels great. I have two, both in DT. Lands real purty like.

WildTigerTrout,

Knowing the Clear Creek has a 4' level line before the taper, how well does it turn over at 10-15 ft?

gfen, I agree in theory that a weight forward line doesn't truely come into it's own until you cast the body of the line, but I think they (DT,WF) somewhat parallel each other in the first 25 feet of casting. If I buy a DT line for this rod, I'll cut in half. This is going on a tiny Orvis CFO II reel. Most people waste the other end of a double tapered line because it becomes a coiled mess on small reels after many years of use. I never did find a way to take the coils out. Then again, maybe I'll learn something here.

There was a brief interchange awhile back about this, the thought is with a little stretching and some cleaner, it'll come right back. I've got a 4WF that's seen some quality time in the back of the car on a reel I'm meaning to try it out on.

I know I've got an 8wt of unknown origin and age I peeled off a used reel, all I did was stretch it and its already world's better... I'm confident with a little work and love, it'll be just fine.

Or cut it off. With my cheapness, I wouldn't be too above cutting one in half if that's what it took to fit in on the reel. I've got CFO123 reels that hold the whole 3DT, though. Not sure if the CFO2 is smaller or not.

gfen,

Maybe the time period I'm talking about is different than others. My lines last decades because I'm careful with them, and I clean them every time I use one. I also alternate several reels/lines over the course of a years fishing.

I tried soaking them in warm water, stretching, to no avail. My mentor cut DT lines in half his whole life. He saved the unused half in large coils rather than keep it on the original spool.

If you want a soft line, check out some of the stuff with RIO and AIR-FLO

Definately DT whatever you decide.

My advice is to go cheap because you won't be casting far; or atleast I don't.

Matter of fact, every thing brookie should be cheap.

Buy discount or line 2nds. Or better yet, scour local fly shops for bargain bins or lines that have been sitting there awhile. Then try and cut a deal with them.

i have a 2wt with the Rio Selective trout LT (great long delicate taper)
and fished the rio selective trout II previously

I disagree with the advice to buy a "used line or 2nd"
a good, smooth casting, high floating line is important for a light setup

Personally I think that on the lighter weight rods, the quality of your gear is very important and the light setup will magnify a flaw in rod/line compared to a heavier setup

But if you buy a WF line and the second is 60 feet back, you'll never see that on a mt. stream.

Outsider, I have not had any problems with the "Clear Creek" lines turning over even at short distances. As I said my only complaint is the dark color when light begins to fade. DT or WF does not really matter that much at short distance. The tapers are the same for the first 25 feet or so. On small streams 25 feet is a long cast.

WildTigerTrout,

Thanks for the response. I've fished for small stream brookies for more decades than I care to remember, knowing that stealth, approach, and motion will send them running. So I thought: why not try a line color that blends in rather than stands out.

I never found them to be very selective. They have to be opportunists due to limited food source.

My favorite "Brookie" fly is a size 12 or 14 Royal Wulff dry.

Why do I view this thread and it's empty? Site glitch?

Anyways, I bought the Cortland Clear Creek 3 weight line and attached a Cortland braided loop with Krazy Glue instead of the recommended heat shrink method. I did put a 3/4" piece of the bright yellow heat shrink material on the loop so I can see the end of the line.

I casted the line on a moderate action 6 1/2' rod in the back yard and my initial reaction was good. Very delicate, can't wait to use it on small streams for wild brookies.

outsider, the main reason I bought the line is because I fish several limestone streams throughout the summer months and the Clear Creek Cortland line gives a very delicate presentation. I really like the 2 weight.

Back