Fly Fishing Backpack

mattwolf

mattwolf

I am looking g for a backpack to hold some gear for an overnight fishing and camping trip. We will be hiking around 6 miles. I like the idea of the sage typhoon backpack. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Any backpacking pack will work. Just slide the rod tube through the side loops and down into the water bottle holder on one side. Thats how I've always done it. I don't even want to know how much a sage backpack costs!

I use an internal frame pack with a detachable top compartment . That's my flyfishing sling pack. Works out nice.

I have the simms daypack. Plenty of room for an overnight camping trip. Little pricey, but it's a real nice pack. I usually just wear my mule camelbak on normal outings. Gotta stay hydrated.

I really like the features on the Sage Typhoon, but I see it is no longer available and I can't find any stores that still have them available. I talked to Sage today and they said they are coming out with a new one, but it is bright blue. Not really the color I am looking for to pack with. I also like the Simms Dry Creek backpack. The wader storage area on the Sage seems perfect for me though. It looks like a nice place to store the waders when hiking into or out of the fishing areas.

Thanks,

You'll need to pack ultralight to fit everything into the Sage Typhoon pack. If you're into that type of backpacking, it will probably work. I thought I would be able to accomplish the holy grail by finding a fishing pack that was big enough for an overnight and I bought the William Joseph Exodus to do just that. Turns out there was a horrendous typo on the # of cubic inches (3000 advertised vs. 1569 actual). Thats just too tight for a couple day trip.

One year, I carried a Gregory Baltoro and a William Joseph Coastal II pack - talk about unwieldy and bulky. I've since settled on a GoLite Pinnacle (added a GoLite Jam 70 for this year) and a chest pack that will hold one fly box, tippet, and a few cigars. Sage Typhoon, William Joseph Exodus/Exodus II will work fine for a long day on the water (i.e. full day of Lake Erie steelheading, where its nice to carry some extra warm weather clothing) but I think you will find them challenging practically, for overnight backpacking.

For waders, I just wear them, hiking in and out. I usually wear wading pants and not chest highs, so that makes them a bit more tolerable in the summertime.

Here's my pack. I like it, but it's getting kinda old:

http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/product-archives/outdoor-equipment/backpacking-camping-hiking/internal-frame-backpacks/camp-trails/torrid/prd_80434_2957crx.aspx

L_soult wrote:

http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/product-archives/outdoor-equipment/backpacking-camping-hiking/internal-frame-backpacks/camp-trails/torrid/prd_80434_2957crx.aspx

Camp Trails - thats a blast from the past for me! My first pack was a Kelty external frame pack that I picked up when the Wildernest (local outdoor store) went out of business at its previous location. My next pack was a Camp Trails something or other internal frame model that I picked up off of a NetNews posting for $65 (am I dating myself with that reference to NetNews??) my first year in college. It was a horrible light blue/purple color but did the trick for a few years, until it eventually ripped out a the top of the stays. Then it was on to a Gregory, a brand that will let you comfortably haul a ton of gear, at the expense of hauling an extra 5-8 pounds of pack. And finally, I'm liking the Golite offerings, since my trips are shorter now. I'm hoping my kids get into it and I can go on some extended outings again.

salmonoid wrote:
L_soult wrote:

Camp Trails - thats a blast from the past for me! My first pack was a Kelty external frame pack that I picked up when the Wildernest (local outdoor store) went out of business at its previous location. My next pack was a Camp Trails something or other internal frame model that I picked up off of a NetNews posting for $65 (am I dating myself with that reference to NetNews??) my first year in college. It was a horrible light blue/purple color but did the trick for a few years, until it eventually ripped out a the top of the stays. Then it was on to a Gregory, a brand that will let you comfortably haul a ton of gear, at the expense of hauling an extra 5-8 pounds of pack. And finally, I'm liking the Golite offerings, since my trips are shorter now. I'm hoping my kids get into it and I can go on some extended outings again.

I was in an ultralight kick for a while. I even made a pop-can jet stove. No time with little kids though. We go for several family camping trips in the year. I'll have to wait til they're a little older to be an overnite backpacker again. At least with FF I can go for an hour or go far a day and still have fun.

Simms roll top back pack. Waterproof is good!

I just bought ll bean emerger pack. It's very nice and has a lot of storage and pockets

I purchased a used sage typhoon backpack off of ebay. Sage stopped making the typhoon so I went ahead and bid on an ebay one and won it. It didnt cost a lot of money, so if I dont like it I will check out the simms roll top backpack. Waterproofing isnt the biggest deal. I can thow it in a waterproof bag if it starts to rain. I just like the feature of being able to pack my waders and boots on the outside of it while hiking.

Thanks,

If you want a pack to backpack in then look at Osprey. They are amazing packs. Cost some money, but will last forever. Most fishing packs I noticed are great for a day of fishing, but when you pack in a tent, stove, food, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad it can become a little much....unless you use SUPER ULTRALITE gear.

Check out the Osprey Atmos 50

Usually at the Harrisburg Outdoor Show(not this year yet Though) there is a bag outfit called the Whittenburg Bag Company....They have camo plus all types of other bags and are cheap and tough.....Check it out if they have it this year....

Back