Float tube fins

B

burghwolfe

I think it is time to upgrade my float tube fins for next year. I don't even know what brand I am currently using but they were about $40 at Gander Mountain and they absolutely kill my feet when I wear them. I actually had about a week where it was painful to walk after spending a day fishing with them. I am thinking about springing for a pair of Force Fins. Does anyone have any experience with them? Also, is there much of a difference between the fishing version and the original version that I assume is made for snorkeling? I see some originals on ebay for much cheaper than the fishing version sells for new. But I don't want to go for the discount and find that they won't suit my needs.

Thanks
Mike

Dear Mike,

I have several float tubes and have been using them since about 1987 or so.

I have two sets of fins. A pair of el-cheapo Caddis fins that are routinely available for about $ 29.00 and a pair of adjustable Force Fins that set me back about $ 150.00.

Honestly, I prefer to use the Caddis fins over the Force Fins. I prefer them for a couple of reasons and those reasons have nothing to do with on the water performance.

The Caddis fins are much easier to put on than the Force Fins. You step into them and tie them up. The Caddis fins are thousands of times better to walk in around the water because they are quite flexible. You can kick something underwater or snag a fin on a rock or stump and still just step right through it.

I've taken several diggers wearing the Force Fins because I've stubbed a fin or caught it on an underwater obstruction while getting in or out of my tube.

Once I'm out in the water and kicking around the fins are about equal. The Force Fins by way of their stout construction and stiffness should move me much better than the Caddis fins but frankly it's a wash.

I bought the Force Fins on a recommendation from a friend who lives out West and does far more float tubing and pontoon boat lake fishing than I will ever do.

While I don't truely regret the purchase I don't think I received anywhere near the value I expected from the Force Fins. They cost 5 times more money and no way are they worth that.

If you go with the Force Fins be sure to buy the fully adjustable ones. The other ones flat out suck.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Mike,

One addition to my last line because you might not be familar with the Force Fin options. The fully adjustable ones are the only way to go if you have feet bigger than size 11 and plan to wear the fins over wading shoes.

You cannot get the non-adjustable Force Fins over a wading shoe if you have bigger feet. They say they fit to size 11 but not if you are wearing wading shoes. You are then stuck wearing the fins over stocking foot waders which is never a good idea for a multitude of reasons.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

My new fins just arrived today...... in this hurricane! LOL

I've been looking at fins for a while on the internet. The ones I purchased are called "flip fins"

They are just like Force fins (all reviews online say they are just as fast and light)

These Omega Flip Fins were $170 .... same price as Force Fins. Bass Pro doesn't carry them anymore, but Cabela's does.

The thing is: you put them on at your car and a spring keeps the fin up for good walking. When you sit in your float tube, you simply kick and the fin will lock in a regular fin position.

I had a pair of cheapo Outcast $29 slip on fins. I would have to carry them to the lake and put the stinkin' things on in the water. When I would get out, I would have to take them off in the water. I can't walk with fins on ...... I fell in head first too many times! LOL

I also purchased "Fin Tether's" for $11 to strap the fin to your leg.

I'll post some pix after this storm is done. And yes, they do look like diving fins..... nice shape, lots of area, and flexible.

Dave Scadden designed these. He is a avid fly fisherman who also designed the Frameless Float Tube / Pontoon hybrid ...... this boy will be getting one next month!

Thanks for the reply 1wt. I look forward to the pics. The biggest reason that I am looking at the Force Fins is the way that your foot goes in them. I tend to have problems with my feet really hurting when I am on the water for a full day. When my entire foot is inside the "boot" I tend to keep my toes lifted up to the top of the boot and it puts a lot of pressure on the top of my foot. As much as I try to not do it, I can't seem to break the habit. Since the FFs don't have the toe portion of the boot, I thought they might take care of that problem.

Back