Float Tubes ?

JVenezia

JVenezia

Anyone ever use these for still water flying? If so any particular brand or type?

When I lived in MA, I trout fished from one almost exclusively. The model I used was the "Cumberland" by Classic Accesories. I chose that particular model because it comes in fat boy size and I didn't want my butt dredging bottom.

As for brands, Caddis, Classic and Outcast are the ones I've owned and I was happy with all of them. I think style is more important. Stay away from the old donut shaped kind, they are usually heavy and you will ride really low in the water. The best IMO are the V shaped ones, followed by the pontoon style ones. The round boats and the U shaped ones both take a lot more effort to move through the water and are more wind resistant.

Also, consider weight if you'll be far from the car and consider upgrading to better fins if you'll be fishing bigger water. I never worried too much about built in storage since I never carried more than a couple of beers (oh yeah, having to take a leak when your in a tube is a huge PITA). That's all I can think of for now. They are a lot of fun to fish from though, so give it a shot.

i have the outcast super fatcat - great tub. v shaped, high riding and very stable. you sit above the water in it. it weighs just 12lbs and can be slung over the shoulder for hikes in or over the fences of a golf club at night...

they let you get in real close to fish - i often have fish swim right by me.

you'll need fins and a rod rest. not having one is a PITA too. i also have a paddle tethered to the side, just in the very off chance the wind comes up and or i get leg cramps.

later this year i may upgrade and pickup an Outcast fishcat scout - which is an inflatable hybrid pontoon/v tube with oars. but at $650 its steep.

the first time you push off is a bit scary then liberating. i find it a very relaxing way to fish - you might like me, pick up a longer rod 9 1/2 ft or longer to keep your back cast up.

fishing for panfish out of it casting to reedbeds or docks or any structure can be fast and furious action. i chuck a simpler slider on a slow sinking line and its awesome fun.

I have a Trout Unlimited model. I think it was about $150 with fins from Gander Mountain. It has served me well, although I am thinking about upgrading my fins. The ones that came with it are ok, but as Machocheese said if you plan on covering some water they can really wear you out. Once you have your first day of panfish crushing every topwater you throw out or have a smallmouth spin you in circles as you try to get him in, you will be hooked forever. And it is really nice on those hot summer days when you don't need waders. Although you may have some bold bluegills nipping at your legs.

Dear JVenezia,

I currently own two float tubes and have owned a couple of others. I've been float tubing for over 20 years and I've taken a couple of fishing vacations where the majority of the fishing was done out of a float tube.

They are a blast to fish from. My fiancee' even likes to float tube fish when the water and weather is nice.

As far as fins go the $ 29.99 Caddis el cheapo's are all you need. I own them and a pair of Force Fin adjustable fins and the Caddis fins are much better fins 99% of the time. The Force Fins are too rigid and they make entering and exiting the water a real chore.

The tubes I own are a Caddis Navigator and Waterskeeter Day Tripper. Both are sized to accomodate my lardbutt.

Since you live in the Lancaster area I'd be willing to meet up with you somewhere nearby and let you demo either of my float tubes if you would like to see what using one is like before you spend the money to buy one?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Tim,
How are the force fins once you get in the water? I have found that the cheap fins tend to really hurt my feet after a long day on the water. I think it is because they put a lot of stress on the top of my feet on the up stroke. It actually makes it very painful to walk for a couple of days afterward. That is the biggest reason I want to go in another direction. But I don't want to drop $200 for something that doesn't really perform well. And you are spot on when you said that float tube fishing is fun. I love using mine.

Dear burghwolfe,

The Force Fins do great once you are in the water and kicking around. They definitely move you around better than the Caddis fins, but in all honesty I personally don't think they are worth the $ 170.00 upcharge.

Are you using diving fins? I could see where they could cause a strain on your foot and even your legs because they are a lot longer than most fins I've used for float tubing.

The Caddis fins I use are like the ones pictured in the link below. The front fin part is pretty flexible and if you snag it on a rock or other obstruction when you are getting in or out of the water you can easily power your foot through and keep moving.

The Force fins on the other hand do not bend and if you snag your foot and you aren't careful and lucky you will fall. I've bashed my shins on rocks enough times to know I like the Caddis fins better.

http://assets.academy.com/mgen/32/10108132.jpg?is=500,500

Regards,

Tim,
Here is what I am currently using.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Creek-Company-Float-Tube-Fins/709457.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dfins%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=fins&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I think my problem is a combination of the "boot" structure and the fact that I have fairly small feet, 8.5. On the up stroke I tend to try and arch my toes up for some reason and that puts tons of stress on the top of my foot. I have tried just not doing that, but I can't break the habit. I figure if I go to the force fins, no power is required on the up stroke so maybe that will help me out. As far as getting to the water with fins on, I typically put them on after I am sitting in my tube so I am not too concerned with that aspect. Are the force fins adjustable enough to wear wading boots with them?

I appreciate the help on this. I would just really hate to get a pair and then regret it.

Mike

Dear Mike,

No wonder you get tired and your feet get sore. That is a lot of fin to drag through the water using your ankle and your muscles to keep your foot rigid enough to provide thrust. I had a pair like those for one morning and I drove back to the place I bought them and returned them.

The Caddis fins I have in the link above and most fins that I have used strap across your ankle and have a sort of sole to them that your wading shoe fits into. That helps to keep the fins rigid and at a 90 degree angle to your leg and ankle like a paddle on your foot. That is what makes thrust.

If you put your fins on in the water then I think the Force Fin adjustable model will work well for you. You just don't want to try to walk around in the shallow water with them because the fins are very rigid and have no give if you bump into anything.

The Force Fin adjustable fins adjust well enough to fit on my size 13 EEE feet in wading shoes so they will definitely fit on your feet. You have nothing to worry about there as long as you make sure you buy the adjustable ones.

If you go the Force Fin route do yourself a favor and get fin tethers. For the $ 10.00 or so that they cost they are well worth not kicking off a $ 100.00 fin. ;-)

I hope this helps.

Regards,

I have a couple Buck's Bags tube...20 years old and not a stitch loose. Caddis fins. I love the tube and don;t use it enough.

Thanks for the help Tim. I really do appreciate it. I will definitely get the tethers. It isn't worth the risk to not use them.

I'll be trying out my new float tube soon. Taking on a camping trip and will be fish a like stocked with trout. I bought a fat cat.

I had that same pain on tbe top of the feet, until I changed my kicking style.

Now I use much shorter slower strokes and I find it doesn't hurt.

Dear Mike and Geebee,

Those fins like Mike is using are NOT designed to use in a float tube despite them being sold by a company that makes and sells float tubes.

Fins like those are for diving where your feet trail behind you and you kick by fluttering your legs. They work great for swimming but not so great when your legs are working at an angle. That's why you feel strain or get tired.

I realize that the kicking stroke is different in a doughnut shaped tube but if anyone tries to use those swim/dive fins in a tube that you sit in you are going to have problems.

Even in a doughnut tube they wouldn't be very efficient for your natural position is to have your feet dangling and if you kick in those with your feet dangling the motion produced will be upward.

Bottom line, when you are in your tube and resting it should be relatively easy to have your fins parallel to the water's surface.

If you can't do that you won't move well when you try to move around. If you have to work to do that you will tire quickly too.

The Caddis fins are cheap but they work well for all types of tubes and kickboats, for the simple reason that you don't waste energy and effort with them.

Regards,

With the caddis fins you just kind of backpedal. You don;t really kick unless you are really trying to cover ground or there is a strong wind at our back. Diving fins are made to produce force on the up and down stroke. Caddis tube fins will produce much more force on the upswing and very little when going down or backward. As Tim said. They work much better than diving fins.

Mine were hurting after a few hours paddling, rather than straight away. I think the hydrodynamics described are dead on though.

You are pushing on the water rather than moving through it. The fins I have were bought with the tube from cabelas. They might need a liitle change up..

Can someone tell me if float tubes are allowed in pa state parks? I heard they are not. You have got to be kiding me.

Dear jkilroy,

In a State Park if boats are allowed then float tubes with 2 or more chambers are allowed.

You must wear a PFD at all times if you are on a Fish Commission lake and on every State, County or local park lake I have ever been around.

There may be a few County or local parks that will not allow float tubes but I have yet to see a State Park lake that did not allow them.

Regards,

I really hope they are allowed. I know they aren't at poe Valley state park and I really wanted to use it in PA state parks. It has 3 chambers and boats are allowed there. What kind of a PFD do you need, a regular life vest? I was realluy looking forward to using it at the state parks, I'm going to ask before launching.

Dear jkilroy,

I'm surprised that Poe Valley won't allow float tubes because I have used my float tubes at a half dozen different State Park Lakes and never had a problem.

If you look at the rules for boating at Poe Valley this is what you will read.

"Boating: electric motors only
There is one launch area and fifteen seasonal (April 1 to October 31) mooring spaces on the 25-acre lake. Rental boats are normally available during the summer.

The boat rental near the swimming beach offers paddleboats and other small watercraft for rent. It is open from Memorial Day to Labor day and some weekends in the spring and fall seasons.

Motorboats must display a current boat registration. Non-powered boats must display one of the following: boat registration; launching permit or mooring permit from Pennsylvania State Parks, available at most state park offices; launching permit from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.

Complete information on boating rules and regulations in Pennsylvania is available from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission Web site."

It's same set of rules for every State Park that allows boats. If you read the PA Fish and Boat Commission rules on float tubes you will read this.

"Float tubes or similar devices are permitted while fishing on Fish & Boat Commission lakes so long as the device contains two air bladder systems. It may not be propelled by a mechanical device. The user must wear a Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device."

I could see a State Park prohibiting float tubes and even fishing within a certain distance of the swimming beach and/or the boat launch, but I can't see them posting a ban on float tubes when they post that they follow the boating rules of the Fish and Boat Commission?

As far as a PFD goes I wear a Bass Pro Shop fishing vest type PFD with storage pockets. As long as it is an approved Type 1,2, or 3 PFD you are good to go.

I don't want to give you bad advice and see you get fined based on my experiences so you might want to email the F&BC about use of float tubes on State Park Lakes. They have answered questions I have sent quickly, usually within a day.

Regards,

Back