Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Float Tubes ?

From Da 'Berg, PA
Mine were hurting after a few hours paddling, rather than straight away. I think the hydrodynamics described are dead on though.

You are pushing on the water rather than moving through it. The fins I have were bought with the tube from cabelas. They might need a liitle change up..

Posted on: 2013/4/7 19:14

From Cleona, Pa
Can someone tell me if float tubes are allowed in pa state parks? I heard they are not. You have got to be kiding me.

Posted on: 2013/4/9 21:19

From Harrisburg
Dear jkilroy,

In a State Park if boats are allowed then float tubes with 2 or more chambers are allowed.

You must wear a PFD at all times if you are on a Fish Commission lake and on every State, County or local park lake I have ever been around.

There may be a few County or local parks that will not allow float tubes but I have yet to see a State Park lake that did not allow them.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/4/9 22:38
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Cleona, Pa
I really hope they are allowed. I know they aren't at poe Valley state park and I really wanted to use it in PA state parks. It has 3 chambers and boats are allowed there. What kind of a PFD do you need, a regular life vest? I was realluy looking forward to using it at the state parks, I'm going to ask before launching.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 19:23

From Harrisburg
Dear jkilroy,

I'm surprised that Poe Valley won't allow float tubes because I have used my float tubes at a half dozen different State Park Lakes and never had a problem.

If you look at the rules for boating at Poe Valley this is what you will read.

"Boating: electric motors only
There is one launch area and fifteen seasonal (April 1 to October 31) mooring spaces on the 25-acre lake. Rental boats are normally available during the summer.

The boat rental near the swimming beach offers paddleboats and other small watercraft for rent. It is open from Memorial Day to Labor day and some weekends in the spring and fall seasons.

Motorboats must display a current boat registration. Non-powered boats must display one of the following: boat registration; launching permit or mooring permit from Pennsylvania State Parks, available at most state park offices; launching permit from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.

Complete information on boating rules and regulations in Pennsylvania is available from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission Web site."

It's same set of rules for every State Park that allows boats. If you read the PA Fish and Boat Commission rules on float tubes you will read this.

"Float tubes or similar devices are permitted while fishing on Fish & Boat Commission lakes so long as the device contains two air bladder systems. It may not be propelled by a mechanical device. The user must wear a Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device."

I could see a State Park prohibiting float tubes and even fishing within a certain distance of the swimming beach and/or the boat launch, but I can't see them posting a ban on float tubes when they post that they follow the boating rules of the Fish and Boat Commission?

As far as a PFD goes I wear a Bass Pro Shop fishing vest type PFD with storage pockets. As long as it is an approved Type 1,2, or 3 PFD you are good to go.

I don't want to give you bad advice and see you get fined based on my experiences so you might want to email the F&BC about use of float tubes on State Park Lakes. They have answered questions I have sent quickly, usually within a day.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/4/10 20:07
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Cleona, Pa
Thanks, this is all second hand info and maybe they guy I know wasn't in compliance with one of the rules. Now that I think about it I have folks from a float tube in that lake. Makes me feel a little better. Guess I need to email them. I want to use it this weekend at locust lake.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 21:18

From Red Hill, Montgomery County, Pa
I think your problem is that you are asking them. This is a state run lake and the rules and regulations are clear that they are permitted.
Know the rules and comply. If you then get stopped you can politely discuss them with the officer.
I had this problem before...I asked a ranger about my float tube. he wasn't sure what a float tube really was and said not allowed. It turned out he was thinking in the lines of a pool float tube as he never saw a fishing tube. It may be just a case that not everyone is exposed to float tube fishing and they may not understand.
If they see you on the water, they will have a better idea and can talk about it with you.
Just my thought.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 7:11

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com