Fixing a Broken Fly Rod

bbillings30

bbillings30

I have a 9' 5 wt. Fenwick HMX rod that broke about 5" from the tip of the rod my second time using it. It was under warranty and Fenwick sent me a new rod, but I didn't know if the old one was able to be salvaged at all. Does anybody have any experience attempting to fix a broken graphite fly rod? Is it even possible? It was a clean break, not on an angle, if that helps. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, it can be easily done, but, of course the action will change. You can saw and file a tip (use sharp tools). But if as you say it was a clean cross-section break, then all you need to do is buy an appropriate sized tip-top, some glue (I like the waxy stuff that will re-melt if you need to remove it) and then some thread and gloss to seal the new tip-top in.

This may not become your go-to dry fly rod, but it may cast streamers like you never would expect.

I agree with JackM. Use hot-melt glue specifically designed for gluing top guides. Look on the web, you can buy it from rod building/components shops. It sets up really quickly. All you need is a lighter or matches. IMHO, winding thread is cosmetic, optional. Depends how far you want to go. If the hot melt glue oozes out, wipe the excess off very quickly, careful not to disturb the alignment of the guide. If it ends up off-center, heat the guide up a little and re-align.

If you put a new tiptop on, try a 6 or 7 weight line. It sure won't be a five anymore.

salvelinus, I think we have a pm communication problem.

I've read of rods being repaired with a short section of music wire inserted / epoxied if the broken portion is still hollow - and then the joint wrapped to match the guide wraps.

depending on the thickness, either a splint on the inside or outside. I've done it both ways. IF it's broke 5 inches down, I would splint it instead of just putting on a tiptop. IF it's 2 or 3 inches, then I'd just glue on a new top.
a repair 5 inches down can be hidden by rewrapping a guide over the broken and splinted area.
many ways to fix it, just depends on how it's broken, where it's broken, and personal preference.

Here ya go (if it's hollow) .....

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/search.php?keywords=music+wire&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Back