Fixing Waders

T

tbear

I have a pair of breathable waders that I've had for about 3 years now. This past spring they started leaking on one of the seems in my left leg. There doesn't seem to be a large visible tear. Do you think I can just use a seam sealer to cover all the seems? If so, do they make seem sealer for waders or do you think I can just use one for tent material? I have plenty of that sitting around.

You best bet would be to try either aquaseal (best) or goop (good) before using tent sealer. I used tent sealer on a tent once and I don't think it helped much.

beeber

Every pair of $70 Hodgman's ive bought have always worn on the seam first and I'll second beebers suggestion about aquaseal, it does a real good job.

I fixed a couple of pair of waders that had pin holes in the seams in the leg/crotch area. Not enough for heavy leakage, but just a little. It became more annoying than anything. Aquaseal did the trick. Make sure you put a couple of layers on it and go out 3/4 of an inch from the seam if that's where they are.

Before you get there though, you may want to consider the flashlight test to isolate the leak. Take a flashlight and your waders and go to your basement or somewhere dark. Put the light in the waders and run it along or near the suspected area. When you see light, you found your leak :)

I went to Aquaseal's web page and they have numerous products for sale. Which one do I want? Is it the "Seam Seal" that is recommended for tents?

Jack,

You want the stuff in a tube. Also, after you use it, make sure to clean off the opening and store the stuff in the freezer. It will last much longer that way.

Aquaseal1oz.jpg

beeber

Go to the local hardware store and buy Lexol (tube), put some in a small jar and add some Tolenol (paint thinner) now brush into all your seams works even when they are wet.. youuse it to cover pathes to...better than Aqua-seal...

I've had good luck with Plumbers Goop. It's less expensive than Aquaseal. And you can use part of the tube, put the cap back on, and have it still be useable next time. With Aquaseal, once you open the tube, the remaining material hardens up quickly.

Hodgeman makes a tear repair which is some type of urethane based sealer/adhesive that appears similar to aquaseal. That stuff had been holding back the water on my breathables for about 4 -5 years now.

Troutbert:
After you open Aquaseal put it in the freezer, when you need it again take it out , thaw it, then use and return to freezer.

sandfly wrote:
Go to the local hardware store and buy Lexol (tube), put some in a small jar and add some Tolenol (paint thinner) now brush into all your seams works even when they are wet.. youuse it to cover pathes to...better than Aqua-seal...

Sandfly, I googled "Lexol" and all I am coming up with is a brand of leather conditioner. Is this what you meant or do you have the name wrong? Also, what is the ratio of thinner to Lexol or what is the consistency of the sloution once mixed?

Back