HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Fishing Shirts

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
gfoledc wrote:

Go to ebay type in fishing shirt (or type in brand name) I got 5 nice Orvis shirts two weeks ago for $50.00.

If $50.00 total .. wow that's a great buy as I find Orvis to be expensive.

I have been using my 'old' workout shirts that wick away the moisture and they have worked well, long and short sleeve (had to put some use to them). I have 2 Columbia PFG button downs that I picked up on sale in Fla, as well as 2 PFG overhead long-sleeve. I wear them occasionally (tho on vacation I wear overheads arnd the pool) but have gotten more use out of my fleece wader pants in winter time then my fishing shirts.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 13:37

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
I have a bushel of the Columbia/Bass Pro/etc. ventilated shirts made specifically for fishing.

They're all OK.

In my book though, the best fishing shirt is a simple Dickie's double button pockets work shirt. They're reasonable (15-22 bucks most places) and they come in good small stream fish stalking colors like dark green and sort of a dull mustard/tan.

I buy one size bigger than I would in a regular shirt and the resulting bagginess allows for some ventilation.

When they are new, they're kinda stiff, so I've used a variety of different methods to quick soften them. I've stone washed them, washed them in a salt solution, double treated them with fabric softener during the wash cycle and then ran them repeatedly through a dryer with several of those little spiked rubber balls in with them. Or you can simply wear them into softness; that works too.

Best fishing shirts around, IMO. And at a price that is not out of range of most of us in the peasantry.

Did I mention that I'm cheap? That's part of it too. Still darn good shirts though..

Posted on: 2013/7/29 17:32

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

RLeeP wrote:
I have a bushel of the Columbia/Bass Pro/etc. ventilated shirts made specifically for fishing.

They're all OK.

In my book though, the best fishing shirt is a simple Dickie's double button pockets work shirt. They're reasonable (15-22 bucks most places) and they come in good small stream fish stalking colors like dark green and sort of a dull mustard/tan.

I buy one size bigger than I would in a regular shirt and the resulting bagginess allows for some ventilation.

When they are new, they're kinda stiff, so I've used a variety of different methods to quick soften them. I've stone washed them, washed them in a salt solution, double treated them with fabric softener during the wash cycle and then ran them repeatedly through a dryer with several of those little spiked rubber balls in with them. Or you can simply wear them into softness; that works too.

Best fishing shirts around, IMO. And at a price that is not out of range of most of us in the peasantry.

Did I mention that I'm cheap? That's part of it too. Still darn good shirts though..
I have quite a few specialized fishing shirts, ie. Simms,Columbia, Woolrich, Gander Mt. etc. They are designed for fishing and work very well. IMO the biggest advantage to those shirts are their wicking abilities( most are made from nylon or poly). They dry very quickly. Also lighweight and all those pockets can come in handy. I will not wear cotton because"Cotton is Rotten" LOL.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 18:25

unless you've been swept up in the economic recovery, $60/90 just doesn't compute. I love them for Christmas and never return them. ExOfficio makes a nice cotton shirt or did. I wore mine out like my old jungle fatigues. I will look at some of the outlets mentioned but orvis trout bum at $90.00 is out. don't you love the orvis sales where you have to me Andre the Giant or Mickey Rooney to find our size. I'm retired so I'll just use up the old Van Husen button downs.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 18:33

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

JohnPowers wrote:
unless you've been swept up in the economic recovery, $60/90 just doesn't compute. I love them for Christmas and never return them. ExOfficio makes a nice cotton shirt or did. I wore mine out like my old jungle fatigues. I will look at some of the outlets mentioned but orvis trout bum at $90.00 is out. don't you love the orvis sales where you have to me Andre the Giant or Mickey Rooney to find our size. I'm retired so I'll just use up the old Van Husen button downs.
ALL my shirts were purchased on sale. You are right I would never spend that kind of money on a shirt. Most of mine were in the $25 to $40 range.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 18:47

From florida
SPF 30 to help prevent skin cancer. You may not think about it in Pa. ,better safe than sorry. GG

Posted on: 2013/7/29 19:21

From philadelphia
i like both the bob ,and the ed shirt from feathercraft.best fishing shirts i have come across.

www.feather-craft.com

Posted on: 2013/7/31 22:25

this post got me searching. I had two ExOffico cotton shirts. big pockets, tabs to hold up sleeves, essentially fishing shirts. loved them. I literally wore them out. I cannot find a light weight cotton shirt. they're all synthetic, quick drying, tropic this and that. I'm fishing PA and NY....not the bonefish flats. call me a dinosaur, nothing feels like cotton. WHERE'S THAT SHIRT?

Posted on: 2013/8/4 11:27

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

JohnPowers wrote:
WHERE'S THAT SHIRT?

Here.

Long sleeve version here.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 14:24

I just bought that shirt. thanks.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 20:37

From Cato, NY
I just bought 2 of these shirts from the sportsmans guide and for the price $24.99 you can't beat it.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/c ... LSHmdeC7LgCFYak4Aodxn8A0w

Posted on: 2013/8/7 15:02

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

RLeeP wrote:

I would suggest against this unless you like the look of MC Hammer pants as sleeves...

I don't really care for these shirts too much. I call them fly tier shirts since they always wear them but I rarely see people that actually fish wear them...

TLoom...what's your size? I accumulated a few of these in a craigslist lot of stuff...I'll mail you one if you like.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 15:15

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I would suggest against this unless you like the look of MC Hammer pants as sleeves...

I may not like the bagginess for other reasons, but I don't really care what I look like when I'm fishing.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 15:42

I'm a medium or a large, depends on the brand I guess. Let me know Phil, I could send you some $ over paypal, some flies, or something like that

Stopped in at TCO of Reading and checked out their clearance rack. Got myself a nice short sleeved Simms shirt for 35 bucks. I really like the Simms stuff. I ordered the EbbTide off STP and man that shirt is SO light. Keeps me just as cool as wearing no shirt at all

Posted on: 2013/8/8 8:22

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

TLoomis wrote:
I'm a medium or a large, depends on the brand I guess. Let me know Phil, I could send you some $ over paypal, some flies, or something like that

Stopped in at TCO of Reading and checked out their clearance rack. Got myself a nice short sleeved Simms shirt for 35 bucks. I really like the Simms stuff. I ordered the EbbTide off STP and man that shirt is SO light. Keeps me just as cool as wearing no shirt at all

Shoot me a pm with your info...
If you send me something to send them back to you with postage, we're good..

Posted on: 2013/8/8 11:14

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com