Fishing Kayak

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

any suggestions?

I have an emotion kayak. It's built more for bigger water its 11'. It's easy to control, has storage for what I need. As long as you can cast from a seated position you'll be ok. There are a lot of kayaks out there for fishing but most don't cater to fly. Most of the time you find a good spot an get out an wade fish stretches that look good. Good luck in your search. Get what what fits the style of kayak fishing you do.

I have a kayak, a solo canoe and a solo raft/kick boat. I like all 3 for different reasons and waters.
The yak is a Tarpon 120 (12 Foot). It is a good size as a compromise between rivers and streams and 12 foot gives good tracking in lakes. My biggest concern is weight. You have to get the boat on / off the roof of the car or truck. Some yaks are big boats that claim their advantage is the ability to stand and fish. I can't see standing in a yak and floating a rocky stream of river, but more than that is they usually weigh a ton. The Tarpon was one of the early fishing yaks and still is very popular today with many improvements. It is very stable and I have never been able to flip it. It is a Sit-On-Top and that is another subject in itself. So the T120 is just my favoite yak. not the only choice.
There are several yak companies and designs to choose from and that is why you need to look around before you buy. Do you want to fish fresh water, salt water or both? Overnight trips?
Your size will often be a consideration. Just things to think about.
Why are you looking at a yak as opposed to another boat?
I would start by going to a site that offers reviews on just about any paddle craft. It is a good place to get the ideas and options flowing. Paddling.net has a lot info.

I will offer this, if you want. Come Spring, if you haven't purchased yet and you want to try one, give me a shout and you are welcome to try one or any of my boats to see if you like one better than the other.

I've had a native watercraft ultimate 14.5 for two and a half years. I would recommend it without hesitation. They are double hulled, which makes them extremely stable. You can stand in them and cast very comfortably. I stand in mine the vast majority of the time, even going down rapids. The stability is a huge advantage for fly fishing.

The seats are very comfortable and removable. I take the front seat out unless someone else wants to come with me (my wife does so somewhat regularly).

I have an anchor system for mine. It's just a simple pulley system on the side of the boat so that you can change the angle of the anchor line. I use a 12-lb pyramid anchor that I bought from cabela's. You can't expect to anchor a kayak in any kind of current, but it works great if you want to anchor up and fish structure in slow water.

DSCN0052.JPG

I got a sit on top--ocean kayak caper--at the beginning of the summer. I have caught trout, smallmouths, and panfish from it on on the breeches, conodoguinet(sp)' juniatta, Pinchot. Played in the surf in south jersey. The sit on top is great. Much of the river fishing involves beaching it on a small island and hopping out to fish which would be tough with a sit in. Spend the money for a comfortable seat. I might trick it out a bit more before next summer--something very secure to stow the rod, an anchor, better seat. I plan on buying a second for my wife.

Have never fished from a kayak, but I have used them and they are very stable, but I'd never stand in one. Any kayak can be fitted with a setup for fishing. I like short kayaks around 12 or 13 feet long. They easy to maneuver and light. There's a guy in Montoursville that also has a shop in Wilkes Barre that's decent and can steer you in the right direction. Also there is a magazine called "Kayak Fishing" that has lots of info on the subject.

You're on the same boating path I was!

I can't imagine fishing on one that isn't sit on top, you've seen mine, it's a Moken 12 Angler...I like it and got a great deal on it. I too have been on the Tarpon 120/140 (never fished out of one) they're definitely lighter and if I was looking again I'd definitely take that into consideration. Anytime you want to take mine out, you're more than welcome to it.

If you are thinking still water or deep and slow river fishing,then Hobies with foot peddles are the way to go.
Shallow,fast waters -forget them as the paddles would get damaged even though they can be flattened under the craft.

I have a Hobie Pro-Angler that's very stable and it's easy to stand or sit. The pedals aren't a problem in any water and in fact can be easily removed if you want. I use mine with paddle, push pole or Mirage drive to fit the situation.

okay you made me say it-Hobies puncture easily-trust me on that,very easily.
Very hard to repair-

Sit-on-top for fishing from. Stop over to my place some time and I'll show you the 12' SOT I have rigged up for fishing. But I must warn you... If you thought fly fishing and tying was addicting, be prepared to enter a whole new world with kayak fishing. You'll be tricking that thing out before you know it!

well I already have a pontoon I wan to take to the upper d and that thing was fun outfitting. but as mr swanson has already eluded to, I am on a dark path. in actuality, it was mr swanson himself who made me start down this path after a trip on the swatara. the kayak maneuvered so smoothly and he was able to paddle much faster than our canoes (once we got to his paddle which was brought out to the half way point on the creek and subsequently had to be hidden for safety by his loving wife!).

in anycase I just recently missed a shot at a moken 13 angler for $300. so now im looking. thanks for all the advice. keep it coming!

You don't have to spend a lot of money on a ship. Keep your eyes on Craigslist because they're always a bunch for sale. The recent popularity in kayaking has helped to drive the cost down as the market is seeing quite a glut of them.

A kayak would be an excellent way to fish on the 'D,' they allow you to fish anywhere you see rising fish and get there in a hurry. Plus they are very quiet.

I use a commander 140 from wilderness systems I love it is very fly friendly .

CopyofWW3.jpg

IMGP0087.jpg

I use the yak often, especially in the salt and on the Delaware.
I use it mainly for access and rarely fish from it.
I have a a few boats and the yaks get the most use.
I bet the upper Delaware would be a blast!

I am looking as well and so far the Native Ultimate and Wilderness Commander are frontrunners.

The hybrids are nice to fish from but do not paddle as nice as a traditional kayak. For anyone just getting into it, I suggest looking at the Perception Caster or Pescador. D1cks, West Marine, and Gander Mountain carry them and usually have them on sale or offer free shipping. The Pescador is basically an older version of the Wilderness Tarpon. I've read about guys getting them from $350-$500. The newer Tarpons are well over $800.

Tim... Your fishing life will never be the same after a 'yak!

0721000636.jpg

I've been looking into a wilderness systems ride. It seems like a sweet boat.

Back