Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: First Aid Kits

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

Dave_W wrote:
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

2. The oil in poison ivy is water soluble. If you noticed you got into the stuff, wash the area right away with COLD water. Jewelweed also will help preventing poison ivy rash. It is quite common especially around the water so you don't have to carry it with you. Wash the area with cold water and then rub that stuff on. Some people rub it on before heading into areas with poison ivy as a preventative.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

I can't remember where I heard/read that about the cold water, but it made sense. I emphasize cold, because warm will open your pores.

You are standing in a cold stream anyway...

But I recommend that you take that with a grain of salt. I could just be (actually likely) that I am one of the lucky ones who isn't sensitive to poison ivy, but I don't want to test that theory by rolling around in it.

Posted on: 2017/7/18 7:41

Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Dave true but I'm talking about when you are deep in, like WV when the nearest hospital is long off. In that case I would recommend trying. As I said, a rarity but it can happen and when you are that far off the beaten path, I would take it and try.

Probably can't hurt.

BTW, your argument above sure sounds like the conceal carry argument in another thread.

So, what are you afraid of.

Don't respond to that, it was just meant as a joke.

Posted on: 2017/7/18 7:43

From lancaster county
Spiders!

Answered it anyways

Posted on: 2017/7/18 10:41

From York County
I've seen small kits at Gander or Dick's for upwards of $40.

Sam's has one about the size of a suitcase for about $20. Thing is just loaded with gloves, antiseptic, splints, you name it. From that I can make my own different sized kits, from Altoids tin sized on up. I'm about due for another one.

I usually have an altoids tin in my fly bag, a waterproof pouch in my backpack, and a pouch in my truck.

Posted on: 2017/7/18 18:35

Webmaster
I've been wanting to do a blog post on this here is my setup:

I always carry a some sort of small first aid kit with me when fishing or even on short hikes. I do include a small whistle and waterproof matches, so it could kind of be considered to be a bit of a day survival kit too. It’s not too often I’m in locations or conditions that I like to think I couldn’t get out of in a few hours on my own.

Needless to say having a few items handy for those unexpected situations is good. Having them in a convenient container is even better. I have been using a small clear waterproof case that I found on Amazon. I actually can pack a fair amount in the case.

Waterproof Case - Witz Keep-It Cleaner
Whistle
Cash
Band aids
butterfly bandages
non-stick gauze pad
Alcohol swabs
Short pencil with medical tape wrapped around it
Safety pins
Benadryl
Ibuprofen
Water proof matches
Extra TP
Emergency contact phone number

Depending on the situation I’ll carry these extra items in my fly fishing vest.
Pocket knife
paracord
Compass
Emergency blanket
Headlamp (always have this for evening fishing anyway)

FullSizeRender

Posted on: 2017/7/19 10:57

Why a whistle? I figure if I am able to blow on a whistle, I am also able to yell, which means one less thing to carry. But it's small.

It did remind me of this.

When hiking in the Rockies and you come across a pile of bear skat, how do you tell what type of bear left it?

The one that has little bells and whistles in it and smells like hot peppers is the one left by a grizzly.

Posted on: 2017/7/19 11:46

From Philadelphia PA
I guess the reason the back zippered area is so big is to carry that big First Aid Kit. And here I thought it was for a change of clothes or rain coat.

I don't feel the need to carry everything I think i'll need only to find out that what I need is not in the first aid kit to begin with.

Posted on: 2017/7/19 16:34

Fun Fact: Did you know that toilet paper has a "best if used by" label? Find out at Urass.org

From York County
Here's one of the pouches I have for my backpack. It was originally a kit, its since been refilled and half depleted several times, mostly from me digging in it when I lose a lighter or couldn't find pain pain medicine, or bandaids. Its about half empty now, missing antiseptic, gauze, medical tape, allergy pills, waterproof matches, water tablets, small flashlight, knife.

It does have a pouch with thread, wire, fishing line, razors, safety pins, needles, fire starting sticks, candle, pencil & pad, bandages, compass, alcohol wipes, mirror, reflective blanket, and flourescent tape.

This thread kinda got me motivated to get my first aid and survival kits restocked.

When I was younger I would find myself miles from nowhere in new territory and losing daylight, probably several times in a season. I probably don't make it further than a mile or two from a road more than once or twice a year anymore, especially after dark. If I did I'd be accused of being at a bar somewhere.

Attach file:

jpg  2017-07-19 17.24.36.jpg (296.90 KB)
1899_596fd16d49687.jpg 738X445 px

Posted on: 2017/7/19 17:39

From Burke VA
Man, you guy's are making me feel bad, I carry nothing. I have 14 spools of tippet but not a single bandage.

Posted on: 2017/7/19 19:12

From SE Pa
Last time I got stung by a bee it hurt 3 times harder than when I got stung as a kid. I chalked it up to super bee evolution over 40 years between my bee stings.

I also fell on the ice a while back. Ice also evolved into super ice since I don't remember ice being that hard and slippery when I was a kid.

I carry a first aid kit in my boat. I also take it surf fishing since beach vehicle passes require it. I Don't know exactly what's in since I've never opened it. Don't carry anything when wading but it's a good idea. A couple band aids won't take up much room.

Posted on: 2017/7/19 19:56

From lancaster county
Quote:
Man, you guy's are making me feel bad, I carry nothing. I have 14 spools of tippet but not a single bandage.

In the case of limb loss you have enough tippet for a good tourniquet so you got that.

Posted on: 2017/7/19 19:57

Sometimes I carry an extra tin. Probably a good idea to carry a first aid kit but I don't.

Posted on: 2017/7/19 21:18

So, you noticed all that, too? LOL!

When painting the shed the other day, a yellow jacket came flying out of a hole and nailed me right on the lip. It surprised me that it didn't hurt much at all. I mean, at first I was wondering if it actually stung me or not, but after a few seconds I could tell. It was actually kind of disappointing.

On the other hand, honey bee stings cause me to swear a lot and break into an interpretive dance.

Posted on: 2017/7/20 8:08

Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Why a whistle? I figure if I am able to blow on a whistle, I am also able to yell, which means one less thing to carry.

The argument I heard for carrying a whistle is that it requires a lot less effort to make a loud noise by blowing on a whistle, than yelling.

Posted on: 2017/7/20 8:39

Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Why a whistle? I figure if I am able to blow on a whistle, I am also able to yell, which means one less thing to carry.

The argument I heard for carrying a whistle is that it requires a lot less effort to make a loud noise by blowing on a whistle, than yelling.

Posted on: 2017/7/20 8:45

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook
USGS Water Levels <Click Map>

Copyright 2019 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com