Finally broke down from all the past hype on here

Coudersportguy

Coudersportguy

Moved to Potter county 2 months ago and got the itch for the small tight streams here. So went to my nearest Wally World which is in New York and bought me the ever famous Eagle Claw feather weight 7 foot rod. I was more excited about this rod than others I've had for of course more ching. If you are in Potter county and are enjoying a nice day on one of the brookie streams, and you see a guy walking the bank with a bright yellow stick and a big smile it's just me. Go ahead and laugh I will too.

Nice, I don't see how a rod makes much of a difference for 90% of brookie fishing. Heck, tie some fly line to a broom handle with some tippet and I think you'll still do ok.

No it doesn't make a big difference in the rod brookie fishing. I just think it is funny how some people love that cheap rod and some despise it and wouldn't even be caught with one in there hand. I love the electric banana!

I got one a little over 2 years ago. I played with it 2 or 3 times on the lawn and decided I hated it. I never touched it again. Fast forward to this summer when I decided to give it another try, actually on the water on small overgrown streams. I fell in love with it. I must have used it a dozen times and caught a bunch of trout. It took some getting used too, but the 7' length is just so much better than the 8'6" and 9' rods I have when space is limited. For the price, just to have it as a back up or to loan to a newbie it's hard to beat. When you grab one randomly at Walmart for $11something on clearance it's just ridiculous.

I have the 6' one, and use it for most of my "small stream" applications. 6', 6wt, and it throws some serious line.

Welcome to the "dark side" of fishing glass. Doesn't matter the cost, have fun with it. I fish glass (poor man's bamboo) , graphite, and bamboo. My graphite rods are on the slow side by today's standards. Feel the line when you cast them, feel the fish when you catch them.

Honestly makes a huge difference having a short, light weight, sensitive rod when fishing tight streams, but you can catch fish either way. I just enjoy it more when my rod tip isn't in the trees/bushes and I can feel a fish hit. But thats just me.

almost all the guys in the fiberglass forum own at least one, some own a lot !

I got caught up reading about the Featherlight as well, and actually bought 3, one from the Swap section here. My 2 boys and I have a ball with them on the tight streams of the Poconos. They are all the 6'6" version, carry Medalist 1494's and have either a 4 or 5 weight line. Cannot beat the bang for the buck factor, slowed my 12 year old's casting tempo down, and roll cast very nicely.

Did you find any of your 3 in physical stores, or were they all purchased online? After reading this thread, I've been looking for the rods around the Poconos. Local Walmarts haven't turned up anything.

I had to order my rods from Wal-Mart. They have them in stock online, and the shipping was quick. Not that I love Wal-Mart, but they did their job.

I picked up the 6'6" one about a month back and love it for brookie fishing. I matched it WF 4w line. It perfect for crawling through brush and #censor#. And itll shoot line more than I need in tight conditions.

They can be had on Amazon for about 25$ shipped if you cannot find them locally (I couldnt)

2 of the 3 were bought from Amazon. I could not find them locally and with Amazon Prime my 2day shipping is free. I think I paid 24.99 each.

Glad I bought the rods. Initially bought as toys almost due to the price, but after using a few times I can see why everyone talks about the fun factor. Yes, almost any rod might work for dabbing a fly or only casting a few yards in a brush tunnel, but in today's world of high priced toys, this one exceeded my expectations.

I have a eagle claw im6 graphite that I really like and didn't even feel to bad when I ran my first one into a bank on the front of my kayak and broke it in half.

Everyone needs a "beater" rod. Mine was a Field & Stream that bushwacked for several years til it finally had enough.

I owned an Eagle Claw way back when and at the time it was my only fly rod. I loved that rod and used it quite a bit until I got serious and bought higher end gear. The rod was stolen on a camping trip or I would still be using it, they make good rods for the money for sure.

I love my eagle claw featherlight. It gets used a lot on small brookie streams as well tiny Brown Trout trickles that exist just about everywhere in my neck of the state. The featherlight and an Okuma Sierra are two of the best values in fly fishing, imho.

Back