Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Fillet knife

From Lancaster, PA
Hey guys....so I'm looking to eventually catch and keep some fish but I have yet to purchase a fillet knife...I'm looking to get a quality knife but not put a hole in my wallet as well

Posted on: 2012/10/28 20:33

Re: Fillet knife

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Blasphemy! Lol jk I can't help you though, sorry.

Posted on: 2012/10/28 21:34

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Gettysburg
I've used an old Rapala brand fillet knife for decades. Honestly, I think any WalMart knife will be fine. I keep my knives extremely sharp with frequent use of a diamond hone. If you're thinking about WW fish to eat, perhaps a more important consideration would be a scaler tool. Again, brand isn't too important but you'll want to have one as scaling a big walleye or striped bass using the blade of your fillet knife is an exercise in mess and time wasted.

Posted on: 2012/10/28 22:32

From Morrisville
I'll agree that any knife from Walmart, dicks, or sports authority will work fine. But my preference is for the Dexter Russell Sani Safe fillet knifes. Some might think its overkill but at about $10-$20 you'll get a commercial quality knive. I have used several models when working commercial boats down the shore. But again any knife will work the key is keeping it sharp with a diamond hone for about 5-10 bucks. A quality knife will become clear with the striped bass afish mentioned to remove the skin hence no need to descale them. JMO

Posted on: 2012/10/29 8:26

From florida
Probably a Rapala will fit the bill. I agree that sharp is the key. I use mine then resharpen prior to storage. A steel is handy for a quick touch up while cleaning the fish. GG

Posted on: 2012/10/29 12:16

From Maytown, PA
I have never filled a trout, Just scale them and gut them, then fry. I use an electric for other fish, slick as fish slime.

Posted on: 2012/10/29 12:39

From Lewistown
I worked in a fish market for 5 years and only used Victorinox knives...the same company that owns Swiss Army Knives.

I think a boning knife is under $30 and a fillet knife is about teh same.

I recomend the boning knife for a better all-round knife and it certainly can fillet a fish.

The only problem is finding on. There is a hardware store in Reedsville that sells them; but google is probably a better option for you.

Of course, any kitchen store in an outlet or mall will definately have them. Heck, come to think of it most department stores like Penny's or Macy's will sell them too, but will be the most expensive option.

Posted on: 2012/10/29 13:05

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
https://www.ronco.com/products/sixstar-knives.html

no I'm not joking... for the price they're a fantastic set and has a boning and fillet knife included. Had a set for the kitchen for about 6 years and they're no cutco, but they're much better than almost any basic block set you get in stores.

Posted on: 2012/10/29 14:30

From North East PA
No matter which knife you purchase be sure to have a good sharpening steel on hand and use it frequently.

Nothing cuts YOU faster than a dull knife.

Posted on: 2012/10/29 16:34

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Well, now, if you have questions regarding the grade of steel used on the blade, I'm your man. I design em. Though my expertise is on the higher end stuff. Better steels are generally more expensive, but aside from holding an edge longer, they'll also take a sharper edge.

Agree, though, that any old blade will work. Cheaper ones are usually made of 420 series or 440 A or B. Mid-grade knives are often 440C or some variant. Then you get into the higher end steels where I mostly work.

For most people, for general use, 440C will work just fine and they'd never know the difference. Just not worth it for them to spend over $100 for a true quality knife that'll whittle hair and never develop a rust spot when the $50 Dick's version does what they need it to do.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 11:12

Good steel reference here:

http://www.knifesupply.com/knife_blade_steels.html

Another one here, Spyderco is an excellent company that loves dealing with the higher quality stuff, though I think they only make one or two fillet knives and they start at over $100. Ours are the CTS branded alloys, made right here in PA (sorry for the plug).

http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=3

Posted on: 2012/10/31 11:26

From South Lebanon Township, PA
There's also Blue Steel...although that may still be under patent with Derek Zoolander.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 12:04

I don't know the exact grade of the Dexter steels, but am familiar with what "category" they are in. Similar to the Victorinox knives. They use X55CrMoV14, which is a European designation in the same ballpark as 420HC. German made steel.

Both are very soft for knife blade steels. Neither will take a great edge or hold it for very long. But both are VERY stainless and very tough. So you aren't gonna rust them or break them. And while they don't take a great edge, they should be quick and easy to sharpen.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 12:30

Swattie, I know you were joking. But Hitachi steel indeed calls their cutlery lines "blue" and "white".

Hitachi Blue Super Steel is one of the funnier trade names out there. Wouldn't recommend it for a fillet knife, though. Some call it stainless, some non-stainless, but the reality is that it's somewhere in between. It's gonna rust if it sniffs the slightest bit of salt.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 13:51

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Haha, yea I was...ironic though. I would only recommend the Derek Zoolander Blue Steel if you want your knife to be "really, really, rediculously good looking."

Posted on: 2012/10/31 14:03

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com