Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Favorite Tippet Material

For maxima guys, you can buy full sized (250 yd or so) spools for like 11 bucks. They sell them by pound test. I think their 2lb is somewhere between 5 and 6x for a reference. They sell 2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12,15,20,25,30 lb test. I typically use 2lb for dries up to size 14 then increase from there. For streamers I usually use 6#, sometimes 8#. I will probably use 3# more often because they recently made that size available in the larger spools.

I use a lot of tippet so I like buying the big spools.

Posted on: 11/3 10:38

From WV
Like Steve, I've been a die-hard with Rio Power and Fluorocarbon but I've bought about 3 spools this year where the tippet is in shambles. Not sure if they sat in a warehouse to long or what the issue is but that stuff is to expensive to not be top quality. Looking to make a switch myself.

Posted on: 11/3 13:19

From Williamsport, PA
Quote:

3oh4 wrote:
Like Steve, I've been a die-hard with Rio Power and Fluorocarbon but I've bought about 3 spools this year where the tippet is in shambles. Not sure if they sat in a warehouse to long or what the issue is but that stuff is to expensive to not be top quality. Looking to make a switch myself.

I personally feel all fluorocarbon line gets this way after a while. Flurorcarbon is by far the most brittle line I've dealt with. I'm conventional gear with bass throwing both spinning and baitcasters (currently building a fly rod for smallies though). Fluorocarbon line will break before mono and I've experienced this with several different brands. The older the line gets the easier the flurorcarbon frays and breaks.

Posted on: 11/3 16:20

From Greensburg, Westmoreland Co.
I only carry Stroft tippet now. Unbeatable strength to diameter ratio. Not afraid to use 7X with this stuff, very strong.

Posted on: 11/3 16:20

From Newville, PA
Orvis Super Strong for as long as I can remember.

Posted on: 11/3 17:48

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Rio Powerflex. The name of the game is to control drag for me, so as soft as i can get. If I need help turning over or have twisting issues i can always go up a size, or shorten it. Better than having to go down a size or lengthening.

Posted on: 11/6 16:59

" The name of the game is to control drag"

I believe most of us strive for that.

Posted on: 11/6 20:23

Right. And stiff tipppets increase drag. Just my $.02.

Posted on: 11/7 5:41

From Delaware Co.
For 6 and 7X I use Trouthunter everything else I use orvis mirage for tippet. I use maxima for the butts on all of my trout leaders .

Posted on: 11/7 8:56

From Nowheresville, PA
Used Cabelas guide spools for years in 4, 5,6. It was a good deal, Think they don't make it anymore in the gude spools?

I fish 5x Orvis superstrong nylon a lot in spring until fish start getting picky then change usually.

This summer/fall I fished Trouthunter 6x flouro almost exclusively (dries and otherwise) and was very happy.

Posted on: 11/7 15:09

From Nowheresville, PA
Get some invisible mending thread and use it for tippet if you want something supple.

Posted on: 11/7 22:28

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Get some invisible mending thread and use it for tippet if you want something supple.

A guy who went by Jeff F used to post on here years ago, and he swore by that stuff.

Anyway, my favorite is probably the stuff I scored from Pro4ormance for free a couple years ago. Can't beat free. I borrowed one of his tippet dispensers. I recently tried to give it back, and he refused.

I rarely use smaller than 5X. I will use 6X with size 18 flies, but I don't use flies smaller than that. I lost my midge box a few years back, and had trouble tying them on anyway.

I think it is Seaguer grand max which I like anyway.

For nylon, I usually use Orvis Super Strong.

Posted on: 11/8 11:30

From SE PA - Montgomery County
Orvis Super Strong and Rio Powerflex. I have never had any issues with either and will continue to use both.

Prefer mono in most situations. I have Flouro in heavier weights of 10-60 lb. for Steel, musky, salt, etc. For trout - mono.

Posted on: 11/8 12:15

From Hershey
Ive been using the Rio Powerflex Plus and the strength is amazing. Its not too much stiffer than the suppleflex.

Posted on: 11/8 13:49

The suppleflex is good stuff, but its hard to find anymore. I will have to check out the mending thread. Is it strong enough to be used as a tippet? I say im after supple. Really i mean the most supple you can get for a given strength level.

Yes, when you get into toothier critters, including especially large trout, abrasion resistance comes into play and thats where fluoro begins to make sense for me. But 95% of my fishing its not needed.

Posted on: 11/8 18:24

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com