Fad rods Tenkara Switch and Glass .

Fredrick

Fredrick

Are these rods a fad or are they here to stay ?

I have to honestly say that I bought a switch rod fad, to fish the surf in Jersey but once I bought a NRX my switch rod started to collect dust as I could get the same distance from my 9' NRX . And in windy conditions the switch rod was harder to control since the it was longer and more wind resistant it was chore to just hold it straight .

redietz wrote:
I've been fishing glass for 55 years. Hardly a fad.

I know but with the rise in popularity of them lately more companies are coming out with glass rods is this a fad or will it be the norm.

Tenkara was definitely embraced by the hipster community and, despite trying to give it some ancient Asian roots, a total fad. An impractical one at that. You knew it was getting ridiculous when they were selling twist ties to put on your pole to "hold the line"...

Glass almost got to that level too, but seems to have leveled off a bit. The thing that sucked about the glass boom is that the price on old rods went skyrocketing. Some of the new glass is pretty sweet, and the prices are hard to beat (Cabelas, for example). But then you had ridiculous rods w/ super high prices, "fast action" glass (what's the point? Just use graphite), etc. I imagine some of that will go away, some of it will stay as a niche market, and things like the Cabelas Prime/CGR may hang around.

Don't know anything about the Switch rod.

Lol. I never had a switch rod, I am not a fan of the idea at all. I bought a 2 handed rod, and like you it collects dust because I can cast a 9' rod pretty much as far. When someone asks me about a switch rod my first comment is usually practice casting. Been quite a while since I've been to the salmon river but watching guys chucking lead and bobbers with a switch rod made me go nuts. Learn to fish and cast properly and you dont need one.

Fads?
I'd say "yes," to a degree.

These methods/gear are here to stay, but I think some of the luster as shiny new objects has faded, especially from switch and Tenkara.

I'll gladly take those dust collectors of your hands.

I like the switch rod and will likely use it to fish steelhead until I stop fishing for steelhead.

Sure I have a scott arc 1287/3 and an islander ic 8 reel with airflo rage Skagit head. Cant remember the grain 425 maybe I could let you know for sure when I get home. 700 shipped for the combo.

And here I was about to market a tenkara glass switch rod that can "spool" the line right off your twist ties.

I like my switch rod a lot for streamer fishing. Way less fatigue on that 11' rod at the end of the day.

Glass is hardly a fad and here to stay for sure. If you like slow rods there is nothing better.

Tenkara :lol:

I started fishing glass more so than newer faster action rods. Personally I like glass better now

If I could afford a rod for every mood, I'd have a thousand rods! Some might be considered faddish. As it is, I find standard, single-grip graphite and composites to be adequate. I once used a broom-stick and duck tape when I found my rod case empty. Had everything else I needed....

OK, technically, it was a mop-stick. In my frustration, I tried to looked up to the sky and spotted an old spent mop hanging about 10 foot in a nearby tree. I climbed that tree.

Don't have a switch rod, the places I fish don't require one. I do have a 7' 6" 5 wgt fiberglass, built on a Fenwick blank. I use as a small stream rod and in areas where the brush is fairly thick. I had an interest in trying Tenkara when I first saw a tenkara rod and had a couple of quick, free lessons on how to rig and fish it. The price on the rod was $300, made by a well known Japanese company. I figured that was the end of my Tenkara fishing, but the rod looked familiar. I had seen something similar before. When I went home I looked through my Cabela's catalog. Found it. It was just a fancy graphite telescoping crappie rod. Ordered an 11 foot one, made by the same manufacturer as the Tenkara rod for $21. Took it out to my local fly shop where the owner had paid the $300 for the Tenkara rod and compared rods, other than the price and the labeling we couldn't see much difference. Used it a couple of times and caught a few bluegill and crappie on it.

Everyone bought switch rods without realizing they had been tricked into buying short spey rods.

That's really what they are. If you had no intention of swinging flies a large percentage of the time, you really didn't have a use for a 10'+ two handed rod. On the other hand they are great for swinging flies on waters too small for full scale two-handed gear.

I fish fiberglass most all of the time. The slow action on the casts, the extreme flexibility when a good smallmouth is tugging at the line, and the softer nature of fighting a fish are all fun to me. Now, I also can't cast as far than I can with a fast action graphite stick, sometimes at really long distances smallmouth fishing I may miss a topwater hookset due to the slower nature of the rod and less power transmitted, and I'm more affected by windy days out on the bigger waters. It is all a compromise. I'm sure in my own fishing adventures someday I'll return to graphite and fish it solely for years. But I've been fishing glass now for about 5 years and my Cabela's CGR is a blast for bass and I love my Orvis Superfine for trout.

Those Shakespeare Wonder Rods were a fad backin the 60's. I still use my old Wonder Rod I bought back in 1966. Fenwick akso made anice glass rod back then.

I have always used glass...still exclusively use the 1960 True Temper that was given to me for Chrismas that year except when we night fish. So it must be a fad.

Fads are just capitalism capitalizing on consumers figuring out they need something that they didn't initially want. Definitely a first world problem, because those of us here actually have discretionary income to spend, and marketing convinces us that what we didn't want we now need. Fads are usually rooted in some bona fide usefulness, which then gets twisted (the Asian sources of Tenkara somehow make it a more Zen way to fish, or the nostalgic nod towards glass somehow preys on our need for the vintage aspect of our sport).

Anyone who dismisses a fad is missing out on a money making opportunity, but by the time something is a fad, it's probably already starting to fade back to it's original use base, so maybe those folks are just jealous they didn't capitalize on the fad :)

Good points salmonid. Fads start with some usefullness, but then get blown out of proportion.

I fish a lot of glass rods, but is the issue getting a softer rod which could be of any material? Glass and bamboo have more weight so they can load with less weight of line out, but there are sweet soft graphite rods as well. Not all graphite rods are stiff tournament casting designs. One can get stiffer actions with glass. I think it is more about the action, which can be designed with different materials. What can't be designed in is the nostalgia factor which is high with my old Fenwicks, Phillipsons, and white glass Shakepeares. Love to fish rods from my past - even if they aren't as high performance as newer ones.

I've fished flies/nymphs with crappie poles for 25 years and especially like them for fishing in the winter when the guides and the reel get iced up with conventional gear. Got an 8' 6" Asian rod and it is fun for some cases as well. In general Tenkara rods should have a softer action than a crappie pole since a crappie pole is meant to lift a panfish into the boat or on a bank. Tenkara shouldn't be that stiff.

Two handed casting can be a blast and it is another skill that fits many situations better than single handed casting, not that you can't use a single handed rod. In general I would say get a real spey rod, but the shorter switch rods can be fun for some applications, like casting smallmouth streamers in rivers where you don't have room for a backcast.

A conventional fly rod is pretty versatile, but the "fad" rods fill certain niches. A 9' 5 or 6 wt can catch almost any fish in PA, but variety is the spice of life and some rods do better work for special jobs.

My only "old-man" complaint is don't expect a specialty rod to substitute for knowing how to cast well in the first place (which takes practice, practice, practice). No short cuts in life and equipment can't replace skills.

JeffK wrote:
Good points salmonid. Fads start with some usefullness, but then get blown out of proportion.

Oh yea? Splain the usefulness of the pet rock to us.;-)

I fish a lot of glass rods, but is the issue getting a softer rod which could be of any material? Glass and bamboo have more weight so they can load with less weight of line out, but there are sweet soft graphite rods as well. Not all graphite rods are stiff tournament casting designs. One can get stiffer actions with glass. I think it is more about the action, which can be designed with different materials. What can't be designed in is the nostalgia factor which is high with my old Fenwicks, Phillipsons, and white glass Shakepeares. Love to fish rods from my past - even if they aren't as high performance as newer ones.

I'll agree with all that. I liked fishing with old bamboo production rods before it became a fad. In fact, I was fly fishing before that became a fad (re. "the movie.")

I pretty much agree with the rest of what you wrote as well. but deleted it because it mentioned Tenkara. It still makes me ... smile. ;-)

I remember back when I was a kid, cutting a willow stick and tying a line to it and called it fishing.

To each their own. It's all fishing.

Fads start when the mainstream culturally appropriates the underground because they think it's hip. But when they do that, it leads to over saturation and mass produced dribble.

Did it w/ hip hop, did it w/ punk rock, did it w/ heavy metal, and in the fly fishing world, they did it w/ fiberglass fly rods.

Back