Erie Steelhead Leaders

ThePharmacist

ThePharmacist

What is your leader setup for Steelhead when fishing the Erie Tribs? I have previously been using a store bought knotless tapered mono leaders with some flouro tippet surgeon knotted to the end. I'm might tie my own if I can get away with just a few sizes of butt section. I'm Interested in trying amnesia (maybe i just like the name and logo) A few months to go until it's time to head back!

A few feet of amnesia -> (albright knot) about 4-5 feet of 1x (less in shallower water) ->(blood knot) tippet.

Tapered leaders and nymphing are a no-no IMO. It's built in drag.

ThePharmacist wrote:
What is your leader setup for Steelhead when fishing the Erie Tribs? I have previously been using a store bought knotless tapered mono leaders with some flouro tippet surgeon knotted to the end. I'm might tie my own if I can get away with just a few sizes of butt section. I'm Interested in trying amnesia (maybe i just like the name and logo) A few months to go until it's time to head back!

I do what you do, cept the surgeons knot might not be the best knot for that. unfortunately I'm not a knot expert and can't tell you what is best. It would make an interesting thread though (no pun intended).

I use a 5ft section of 20lbs attached to a barrel swivel then another 4ft of 12 lb test.

I'm similar to bruno, but without the swivel and a little shorter and lighter (15lb to 12lb).

An old tapered leader or piece of mono for the butt, small barrel swivel, 4 or 5 ft of mono or fluro fishing line for the tippet. Indicator goes somewhere on the tippet section

Bam,
just curious, why the swivel there? I've heard of a Swivel then 2'-3' of tippet with weight being added to the tag end of the swivel.

jeff

Ease of tying on new tippet and you can use the same leader all season. I like to have my indicator at or below the swivel so there's little or no drag on the nymphs below. I've found If I keep the indicator above the swivel, the heavier leader section doesn't like to sink and a thingamabobber will make your leader look like a slinky in no time at all.

Watch using thingamabobbers. If your tippet starts digging into the plastic, that little metal ring will snap a fish right off... especially a heavy fish like a steelhead. I still use them, and they're great for a vertical drop off your leader, but be careful

I will only use thingamabobbers on the heavy Amnesia. Never on lighter line or tippet.

i use thingamabobbers for 95 % of my nymphing and never had a problem , they are usually on 2x though , my loop is arround the flat plastic on the base where it attatches to the thingamabobber , not sure .........interesting though , steelhead leaders are same as trout nymphing leaders for me ...nothing changes only the size of the tippet

Watch using thingamabobbers. If your tippet starts digging into the plastic, that little metal ring will snap a fish right off... especially a heavy fish like a steelhead. I still use them, and they're great for a vertical drop off your leader, but be careful

I pop the ring out of the thingamabobber prior to attaching it to the leader for steelhead. If left in, eventually the pressure from fighting fish cracks the ring creating a sharp edge. This edge will easily cut even heavy leader material.

Attach the ringless TAMB to a farly heavy section of leader and it won't get cut up by the mono too badly.

Kev

I tried the swivel thing last year and it really didn't do it for me. I have about 2 feet of 25lb test permanently attached to my fly line with a perfection loop on the end (thanks JayL), and then about 2 feet of 0x amnesia, 2 feet of 1 x, and 2 feet of 3x. I do that for moderate to clear water. If it's dirty, I'll take off the 3x and maybe extend the 1x to 3 feet. I tie up about a half dozen of those and that's it.

I do use a swivel on the NY tribs, especially during salmon season. It's nice, because there are strict leader restrictions. The swivel lets the DEC check you from afar, without making you wade to shore. I'll put shot on a clinch knot tag at the swivel.

3 way swivel works well for that setup on the NY tribs... often without an indicator and lots of weight.

I use a swivel on my regular trout leaders quite often. They actually float if you grease the leader so even tying on a dry works in a pinch.

Back