Echo Rods for 2014

I recently broke my Echo Shadow. I had heard from many that they no longer could fix or replace them. Was pretty depressed about losing a rod I really enjoyed. I decided to call Echo anyway and see what they could do. Basically told me I could choose any other rod. However, I did not need a 9ft or smaller of anything. I explained this to them and was put on hold. After a few minutes the customer service lady came back on the phone and says "Hold onto it till the end of the year." I was kinda confused, but she told me that is all she could tell me at this point. She explained I would be happy if I waited. A week later this video was released and I understood what she was talking about. I am pretty excited to get my hands on the new Shadow 2. I would say Echo is at the top of their game with customer service.

I like the idea but adding extenders is going to weaken the rod big time. Not sure this is a good move on echos part. Adding the section changes the rod. One length is going to be stronger than the other. Ill pass on bringing a book bag full of extenders and counter weights next time im trying to fish.

Well I understand your points. However, I believe the counter weights will not be needed to be carried around. Once you find the balance with the reel you will be using on this rod, they will be on. I also do not believe the extra sections will diminish the quality.

These sections have been around on a few different rods. Believe the Hanak rods in Europe have many of the same features and been receiving very good reviews. Also, Greys had the extended features on their products. Carrying a 6 inch section on the back of my Confluence will be no problem. Knowing the stream I will be competing on, I will know if I will prefer a 3 or a 4wt. If I need a 4wt my rod will be put together ahead of time. If I feel it is better fished with a 3wt, the 4 wt section will be left behind and the 6 inch extender will be either stashed in the back or already installed for use. More then likely I will have this rod set up as a 10'6, because my 10ft Esn will be my main rod.

I for one am excited for this release. Not only will it replace a broken rod, but it will be free. $250 for 3 types of rods is a bargain.

I'm not sure what just happened but I saw a video where you could add a 6" extension to the rod so that you can reach the fish when nymphing. What would happen if I removed the 6" section and took a half step forward?

This make less than no sense to me but then again, I'm not a competition fisherman.

Gimmick. If you buy now, I'll send an additional extension...you simply pay shipping and handling.

Line control, homey. Why use a 9 ft rod when you could use a 8ft and step a foot closer? Why do you like your 10ft to nymph, when a 9ft will suffice. You can obviously step a foot closer or move your boat closer. Line control is your answer. The big thing is being able to make this an 11ft 4wt.

It is not casting distance and you know this. Keeping line off the water is the name of the game.

Stealth is a major factor on some streams. Staying far away, low, and not spooking fish can make or break a session. If you ever get a chance Andy, watch Lance Egan fish. The guy is so stealthy and low to the water. He is easily regarded as one of the best fishermen in the world.

But you are right the average angler can do without almost all of this hype. It is geared towards a niche fly fishing crowd.

Make sure you tell Lance to come watch me fish sometime. I'm regarded as the angler in my waders.

I told him. He told me he has heard of you. You are the guy that got jacked in Philly for a dirt bike after a certain someone told you exactly what was going to happen before you left. He also said you are a pretty good fishermen on the Delaware, but you are thick headed.

I never understood why people who had a 9ft rod felt it necessary to buy a 10ft rod for nymphing. Same thing goes for the people using spey rods these days. Just because your rods 13 feet long does not mean you will have better "line control". Nice drift, im sure that will catch you fish. The fish are at your feet, your rods 9 foot long, having trouble? Add more tippet or quit casting to the other side of the bank.

Glad your getting your rod back though!

Line control is the answer. I have one 10' rod, a now discontinued Cortland "Brook" 5 weight. It is nice to have that extra foot to keep line off the water. It is the ONLY rod I use when I know I will be nymphing.

kpitts32 wrote:
I never understood why people who had a 9ft rod felt it necessary to buy a 10ft rod for nymphing. Same thing goes for the people using spey rods these days. Just because your rods 13 feet long does not mean you will have better "line control". Nice drift, im sure that will catch you fish. The fish are at your feet, your rods 9 foot long, having trouble? Add more tippet or quit casting to the other side of the bank.

Glad your getting your rod back though!

Your response clearly shows your ignorance on the subject. I am not trying to being mean, but you obviously do not understand the concepts and the benefits of a longer rod. Add tippet? Sure I mean my 23ft leader probably needs more tippet. Don't fish the other side of the bank? Lol why? Because it is harder to get to? Yea I do not want to catch fish over there. The fish are not right at your feet all the times. Actually, most of the times they aren't.

Longer rods do not automatically give you better line control, but once you begin to understand rod angles, it greatly helps. I do not know anything about spey rods, so I can not comment. Just as you clearly do not know anything about longer rods used for nymphing. Maybe you shouldn't try to bash a rod, because you do not understand the concepts it is used for?

Interesting concept. I like that their shirts matched the glass blank...

Where is the "spook point" of a trout? If you take just one step closer, will they spook, what about 2? They're calling this the "competition kit" for the specifics of competing and having the ability to change your rod to the conditions you're fishing. A longer rod can keep more line off the water for more tight line nymphing that many competitors use. A longer rod also helps to mend line better during the drift in either spanish or french nymphing and also in swinging streamers. Why do you think that the old glass rods are all signifcantly shorter than the modern graphite rods? They're adhering to the more modern styles of fly fishing and making a rod to match. Want to head to the golf course with a set of steel irons and wooden woods and compete? New technology and new techiques are being blended together for the angler that wants a specific tool.

("Ignorance"
"clearly do not know anything about longer rods used for nymphing")

Clearly you nymph with a strike indicator 1 inch below your fly line and your drift is absolutely disgusting.

Or am I also making assumptions about you not knowing anything.

kpitts32 wrote:

With 19 posts on the board, the answer is yes.

I'll vouch for Shane in knowing his abilities and knowledge on this subject.

kpitts32 wrote:
("Ignorance"
"clearly do not know anything about longer rods used for nymphing")

Clearly you nymph with a strike indicator 1 inch below your fly line and your drift is absolutely disgusting.

Kpitts you stated "I never understood why people feel the need...blah blah blah" if I read that correctly you stated I never understood.

If you don't understand, why would you bash a product you clearly do not understand it's use? That is ignorance.

This rod is geared towards a niche market. It is not for everyone, but the guys it is meant for, will appreciate its concepts. I am guessing it was not made for you.

Not made for me either. I agree, some anglers take the "perfect tool" concept a little too far. Ignorance?

releasing29.jpg

Pro Tip: Obviously, one needs to maximize their reach in tough angling conditions.

Becker,
I have a Echo Pete Ericson Shadow 11' 4 wt. Love it , Love it , Love it , wish they had made 5 wt in 11'. For nymphing a longer rod beats a shorter rod more times than not. I do the Trout Spey thing regularly. Longer rod= longer reach, makes mending easier also makes controlling your drift if Euro style a lot easier too. Aside from small stream work ( I use a 7'6" 4/5 wt rod} I use a 10' rod or longer more often than not. Is it necessary to use a rod 10' or longer to catch fish. Nope. Does using the longer rod make you a better angler because it is longer... Nope. Only time on the water, proper presentation, and experience will make you a better angler. Is this important? Depends on your mindset.
If flyfishing is a competitive sport and that is your thing a longer rod is mandatory tool for success. If you just enjoy being out on the water enjoying nature's show and petting a few fish that's also great. To each their own. I really Like Echo , and their Spey Rods are highly respected in the Spey part of flyfishing.

Wow, am I surprised the moderator that does not fish and the professional troll decided to comment on a thread that I am involved in? L O F'n L way to predictable. Hey if it is not your thing....ya know glass and swinging wets it is horrible. Such we are going to try to humiliate our internet buddies because they fish in a way that you do not, I midaswell join in.

Attachments

• Gary.jpg
    Gary.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 3
Hey Echo is coming out w/ glass too. Odd sizes (right gfen!?), but they sound like something worth looking into.

Back