Douglass rods

A

AFISHN

My 10ft ,4wt,nymph rod is too heavy for my rotator cuff tear
Yesterday a friend lent me his Douglass 10ft 4wt.It was much lighter n worked well for me.
Before I consider buying this mid range priced rod,I'd thought I'd reach out for some forum members feed back/suggestions.
Thanks
Tom

I can't help with the rod, but just wanted to share my torn rotator cuff story.

I put off surgery for 3 years until it got so bad I couldn't sleep anymore. Once I had it done and went through 4 months of PT I am at 100%; I wish I had done it much sooner.

If you can afford to not use your arm for 3 weeks, it's worth getting done. All the horror stories about rotator cuff surgery being useless are caused by people not doing PT long enough.

Thanks Paul.Mine is not very painful after a few days of nymphing;it is just is very uncomfortable and I usually recover after a day or two of rest.
thanks again for taking the time to reply
TL
Tom

I've been trying to decide between the Orvis Recon, though I'm looking at the 3wt and the Echo Shadow II. Both are quite light in hand. I'm looking for a primary purpose short line nymph, secondary purpose swing soft hackle rod. I think the 3wt. Recon is only 2.5 oz.
I haven't seen a weight on the Douglass.

Yo Tom

Wayne Grauer usually comes to the PA FF Museum Heritage Day next month, and he brings lots of sticks, including several lines of Douglas. You can flip some to see what suits you.

Douglas are nice rods. I'd suggest switching to dry flies and give up that silly nymphn' game...much easier on the shoulder, 8ft lever vs 10ft lever. :p Try one of their "Upstream" models, lots of good things have been said about the 8'8"/4wt, I really like mine.

I recently bought a Douglass rod from the Feathered Hook. 3wt 10'. I like it a lot. Very light weight.

Back