Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Do I Need A Big Dollar Fly Rod?

From pgh
Fade-
I like your taste in dogs and Dylan. It sounds like you want a new rod. You should get one. It'll make the trip even better. My suggestion would be to go to a good shop that carries a bunch of different brands and has sales people that know their stuff. Bonus if they are fff cast cert. TCO comes to mind (I have never been there--don't know them). Tell them your situation and that you are serious about buying a new rod. Take your reel and line if you are planning to keep them with your new rod. A good sales guy should be able to narrow down your options to 6 or 8 different rods from different brands/price points. Try to keep an open mind and cast the piss out of them for a while at your normal fishing distances. You should be able quickly rule out a few, and want to revisit a few others. Keep in mind you will be in MT for a week and most likely fishing this rod in PA for 20+yrs, so if you have to pick, lean towards the eastern set-up.
Also--just my opinion--consider the 9ft. 4 wt.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 10:47

From Lansdale
Fade,
check your PM's.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 12:01

The first time I went to Colorado was fortunately when Sage introduced the One and the Z-Axis blanks went on sale at some places. Built a 9 1/2 ft 5 wt Z-Axis for around $300 and it has been a great rod when I need a little more distance or there is some wind. Not my go to rod out East, but it is what I need some days on the Delaware or when some larger PA streams are at a higher level. I prefer something a little faster and longer out West. Whether that is high end or not depends on the supplier.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 15:53

From Clinton County, Pa.
A good flyrod is a lifetime investment. Taken care of properly it will outlast you. I have several top of the line rods and I really enjoy every moment on the water fishing with them. I also have several favorites that are not high priced and I also enjoy fishing with them too. Oh heck I guess I just enjoy fishing period. Get a rod you like and just have fun, high priced or not!

Posted on: 2013/2/13 16:29

From Ferguson Twp.
I agree with WTT above, if you have it spend it. Can't take it with ya!

Posted on: 2013/2/13 16:48

From Media Pa
Thank you all. I am going for a 9 ft Sage or Helios 5wt. I am going to look used as the 10 ft Powell I got used is an awesome rod.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 20:03

From Media Pa
I have a $425 bid on Ebay for last years Helios. 9ft 4/5wt. How much of a difference could there be between last year and this year?

Posted on: 2013/2/16 18:42

From Bucks County
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
I have a $425 bid on Ebay for last years Helios. 9ft 4/5wt. How much of a difference could there be between last year and this year?

At the very least, $600.00 worth if you believe Orvis. :)
Good Luck Fade!

Posted on: 2013/2/16 19:02

From Eastern PA
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:

4/5 wt? Is it 4 or 5? The original Helios can be found new for that ballpark.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 17:18

From Eastern PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:

A side note, or heads up, or whatever. I just got a TU flier asking me to become a life member. It's $1200 or something, but it comes with a Sage One outfit. 9' 5 wt I believe. If that's the rod you'd want, and you don't already have a life membership, it's something to consider. If I were gonna spend 7 or 8 hundred on such an outfit anyway, I'd probably throw a few extra hundred on top and get the membership. Would be an easier sell to the wife as well. :)

I agree with this 100%. I am not a life TU member however if this was a 9' 6wt (the hole in my quiver), I would be all over it. Kevin, the One is an absolutely amazing rod. And this is coming for a die hard Winston guy. Throw in the Sage reel that comes with it and you have equipment value of around $900. The life membership is $1,200. Please consult your tax attorney (i.e. the guy in the cubical next to you) and I bet you will find a fair portion of that $1,200 is tax deductible. Just saying . . .

Posted on: 2013/2/17 21:57

From Dauphin PA
He's bidding on a Helios but no mention of flex. Don't they offer mid & tip?

Posted on: 2013/2/18 22:25

From Philadelphia PA
Since I already have several Orvis Clearwater II rods, and am extremely happy with them....I did not see that the TU offer of lifetime membership with a rod as a gift was/or should be part of the equation. I wonder if I could pay the difference and still be a lifetime member?

Posted on: 2013/2/20 14:16
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Ferguson Twp.
That would be nice but I'm thinkin proly not. I get those invites almost once a month, I'd love to but money's tight. Of course when I'm thinking I can the offer will be gone.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 15:23

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com