Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Do I Need A Big Dollar Fly Rod?

From Ohio
Quote:
I agree here. If you want it, and can afford it, go for it! Do you need it? Nope.

Sasquatch hit the nail on the head. High end rods are nice, but you don't need one. I say get one if you can.

For the first several years that I fly fished I had one outfit that cost less than $100. I never had a problem catching fish and the only reason I bought another rod was because I broke the first one. Then I got gear junkie fever... seems like an incurable disease!

Posted on: 2013/2/11 18:13

You need a tool that'll do the job - the right tool makes it much easier and fun.
Maybe speak to some of the shops out there to see what to expect in the way of wind, distance of casting etc and what they use or recommend then try a few rods that might work. See if anyone can let you try a rod on the stream so you know what it's like to actually fish with it - not just spend 15 min in a parking lot.

I got a high end rod on closeout -a Sage XP 6 wt, turned out to be one that cast great in a parking lot but is not so great on some trout streams. Since then I try a rod with the idea it will be a "fishing" rod and not a parking lot "casting" rod and found that while winstons (WT series) may seem wimpy in the parking lot some of them are really nice when I'm actually fishing them, much nicer than the XP.

$800 is a lot of money for a "fishin' pole" and you don't want to be let down - a lot of guys like the old HMG and you might like it better (or a new model like it) after trying a few.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 19:07

From Philadelphia
I will say this, I've seen you cast Fade. Your best bet is to get someone to cast for you and then have them hand you back the rod.

But seriously, I have 3 Sage Rods, a Scott, a Batson and a Redington. My favorite is my first generation Sage Graphite which I paid $150 for. My next is my Batson which I also paid $150 and my least favorite is the Sage Second Generation which I paid top dollar, like $350 15 years ago. Everyone in this thread makes great points but bottom line, only you can decide whether the extra money makes a difference to your satisfaction (even if it is only psychological). Good tools can make all the difference but even a top of the line lathe is only as good as the guy operating it. So for me, I can look just as bad casting a Cabelas rod as I can a top of the line Sage! Enjoy your trip!

Posted on: 2013/2/11 19:27

From Media Pa
Fox come with us

Posted on: 2013/2/11 21:45

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

jrmyln wrote:
Skip the Sage and buy a Scott!

I agree there.

There are few Scott rods I've handled that I wasn't impressed by and the quality is a notch or two above Sage and even Winston IMO.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 0:41

From Ephrata, PA
Fade, after watching the video, I wouldn't feel like I had to buy any "special" gear. I'd go in w/ what I'm comfortable with (also a Fenwick!), and I know holds up to battles. Remember "The Ghost and the Darkness"!? Never go into battle with an untrusted gun!

Posted on: 2013/2/12 7:44

we live in wonderful times, when great echo carbon rods are out there as closeouts for $120 or even less. get one of those matched to your fishing, casting, fish, and stream, and there's no need for big $ stuff.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 7:57

From Philadelphia
Quote:

k-bob wrote:
we live in wonderful times, when great echo carbon rods are out there as closeouts for $120 or even less. get one of those matched to your fishing, casting, fish, and stream, and there's no need for big $ stuff.

Or you trade flies for a rod when someone doesn't want their nice rod any longer.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 8:07

From Philadelphia
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
Fox come with us

That ship is still afloat although a few small holes may have developed. I mean how can I resist the lure of potentially bunking with you.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 8:21

fox these are great win-win deals, and I dont get some televised intervention as a fishing gear hoarder!

Posted on: 2013/2/12 8:36

From near Hershey, Pa
I'll go back to Heritage-Anglers post and second that also.

I saw Joe Humphreys is going to be at the Lancaster Fly Show giving casting lessons and he is a great teacher.

If you are already a decent caster, he will help clean up your form and give you an anchor to go back to so you can correct yourself if you start to drift back.

Shock

Posted on: 2013/2/12 8:50

From Philadelphia
Quote:

k-bob wrote:
fox these are great win-win deals, and I dont get some televised intervention as a fishing gear hoarder!

That show would be titled "the Heriatge-Angler Chronicles".

Posted on: 2013/2/12 9:15

From Lehigh Valley
Pffft. I get more enjoyment out of fishing a rod I haven't used in a few years, as opposed to finding a new unopened tube of Aquaseal in the junk drawer.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 9:49

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Pffft. I get more enjoyment out of fishing a rod I haven't used in a few years, as opposed to finding a new unopened tube of Aquaseal in the junk drawer.

Yooooooooooo, don't knock Aqua-seal. That's like fisherman's duct tape!!!

Posted on: 2013/2/12 9:50

From Pittsburgh, PA
I think this has been pretty covered but Ill add my two cents.

Of course you dont "need" a high end fly rod. We dont really "need" much in our day to day lives. So the question is "want" and what is the benefit?

I own three premium rods and I have some serious dough wrapped up in them. Two Orvis Helios and one Hardy Zenith. I feel like it is money well spent and I wont buy another rod for probably 15-20 years.

Do I perceive a marked performance increase over my prior mid tier or low end rods? Absolutely...better rods, better reels, lighter, faster, distance, accuracy, you name it...all better. Does it help me catch more fish or trophy fish. Probably, but only marginally.

You could use a stick and a leader and if you present the right fly with the right drift you'll have a fish on. Your skills and fly selection will always trump rod performance. But I think its like driving a luxury automoble versus an every day car. Same functionality, but you sure as hell appreciate of the "premium" you paid for the luxury car. They are just better.

That being said because its a "want" only you can determine if its money well spent. Me? I would say yes....

Posted on: 2013/2/12 10:31

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com