Dick's SG on Mt. Zion Road (York County) - expanding fly fishing line

wgmiller

wgmiller

I was in Dick's Sporting Goods tonight on Mt. Zion Road to pick up a few non-fishing items. I nosed around the limited amount of fly fishing items they have out of morbid curiosity. The employee who was working the fishing/hunting section told me that they're going to be expanding their fly fishing section to roughly an 8' section.

Now, I realize that to must of us that is miniscule, but this is probably a 400% increase in size compared to what they have now.

I post this because finding fly fishing supplies can be a challenge in this day and age of limited fly shops. If you're in the York/Lancaster area and are in need of some "emergency" supplies, they just may have it. The new section isn't up yet, but I'll be sure to check it out at some point.

Knowing there's a resource locally isn't a bad thing in a time of need!

Yeah I was at the DSG in Hanover, PA a few weeks ago while we were visiting my inlaws...they had about a 2' section of FF stuff. Exactly one rod (and I mean just one actual rod on the shelf, not just one model)...an 8' 5/6 wt that converted to a 5'6" or something like that spinning rod. They had two-packs of massive WB's, Black Gnats, and March Browns. I had a $10 gift card to blow...ended up just getting some camping accessories.

Agree though, if you needed some emergency tippet or something, nice to have an option.

I believe the East York Wally World also has some fly fishing items as well. Not many, but as you mentioned, should you need some tippet or a leader, it would fit the bill.

wg, in your neck of the woods, the "Evening Rise" in Lancaster is shut down now..... what a shame.
Gander, Dicks, and WallyWorld are only a joke. You have to drive a little north to Bass Pro or Cabelas in Hamburg.
But all this always leads me back to the internet. When I wanted a 1wt Superfine, I checked out the Evening Rise first..... they are a Orvis dealer. LOL They didn't even have a rod below a 4wt in the store!
I buy everything on the internet now. You just have to preplan a little.

Same thing up here in Wilkes-Barre. The FF section is very small. However, they did have Rio tippet material and some Cortland XL line cleaner. I picked up some of the line cleaner.

Fortunately, we have one good place not far from me (Fishing Creek Outfitters) that has a big fly fishing selection. I try to buy as much there as possible. However, his prices are all retail, and if you find something big on sale on the internet (like a rod or reel), it's hard to justify the difference... but I try, and will continue to try. Sure would hate to see him go out of business... lots of good stuff.

1wt, I typically buy my stuff at BPS or online as well. Prior to that, I was an Evening Rise customer as well. I was posting this more as an "In Case of Emergency" type thing. Not that I've ever been out on the stream and ran out of something, but in the interim before being able to pick something up from one of my preferred sources.

Dear Board,

It's funny how time changes things. I lived for 11 years in Binghamton NY, which is the "birthplace" of Dick's Sporting Goods.

They began as a bait shop, selling nightcrawlers and minnies. I shopped quite a bit at the store on Court Street that was located closest to their start up location.

I moved away from Binghamton 11 years ago but when I moved that store still had far more fishing and hunting gear than it had all other gear combined. I did a lot of spin fishing and bait casting in the Susquehanna up there and you could literally walk in with a broken reel and 20 minutes later walk out with it fixed. They still catered to fishermen.

I guess nowadays people want $ 40.00 workout shorts more than they want fishing gear?

Thank God Brinkman's Bait and Tackle still exists on State Rd and Linden Ave in Philly. The don't have a lot of fly fishing stuff but when they go the world will soon follow.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

The Dick's SG in Mechanicsburg has expanded their section as well. They now have 10-12 rods a half way decend selections on pre-packaged flies. The only problem was that most of the sizes were too big (12 and bigger). I did manage to find some cortland loops I was looking for.

The Hanover Dick's SG is embarrasing. I have to stop and see what they have everytime I am in it just to have myself a good laugh.

Dicks Sporting goods has a tier program. as they sell more stuff they get more. Mechanicsburg is a tier 1 in fishing which is why they have alot more than some other stores. State College is also another high seller. The problem with this is if you dont have stuff to sell you cant sell alot. If they give you little stock or junk stock you wont sell more. I was in the Dicks in state and saw Willie J chest packs and fishpond stuff. Plus they had the new Wright and McGill fly rods which I plan on purchasing one of.

1wt, I will agree with you. I used to work at Gander and they do not have nearly the amount of stock that they used too. I will only shop at my local fly shop from now on. I am not saying that in an emergency that I won't go up to a Wallyworld or Gander to hold me over for the day. But the bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of the low price is gone!!!!

Back