Decent reel for salt

BrandonMH

BrandonMH

I have been toying with the idea of starting up for salt when I go on vacation to LBI NJ. I have a sci ang 8 wt rod, but was wondering on a reel. I'll worry about flies later, have an idea. I could use that for other things as well.

Whatever you own will work just fine. I've spent two vacations with old Medalists in the salt water, just rinse them off when you're done.

If Chinese pot metal won't rust with minimal care, then any reel should be just fine.

I don't have an 8 wt reel. I have plenty of spinning tackle and know about the salt. Just mostly looking for a decent reel to start.

offers accepted on cabela's xss and spare spool.

seriously though, anything works. just rinse it off when you're done.

I'd suggest a lamson or ross...

http://stores.gorgeflyshops.com/-strse-2003/Lamson,-Guru,-3.5,-Fly,/Detail.bok

I was at cabelas and was looking at those. The top of the line cabelas was decent, but something just didn't seem right, looked like the spool could have had more capacity. I know drag should be considered as well on the reel. Just in case I do hook a nice blue or striper.

BrandonMH wrote:
I know drag should be considered as well on the reel. Just in case I do hook a nice blue or striper.
helping-hand.jpg

True, I keep forgetting that.

Brandon,
Get a decent reel that appeals to you and that matches a 8WT rod. Pretty much all reels now in that size have a disc drag. As for capacity, for an 8WT (not being used in FL) you only need about 100 yards of 30# backing. With the superbraids available these days you can get a heckuva lot of backing on most fly reels. If you plan on fishin south FL I'd recommend at least 150 yards. However, stripers and blues aren't long runners. For the surf and jetty at LBI I like sinking lines; for the back bays, a floater works best for me.

Thanks Fish, I figured sinking for surf, would that be the same for up at the Barnegat inlet as well, or do floating?

On the other hand, the rod is kinda crappy, I got it years ago when I broke my first rod ever, and forgot all that I knew. I had a 3-4 wt reel on an 8 wt rod...no wonder it didn't cast well. The rod is a cheap sci ang I got from walmart years ago. I should do the job tho, and could care less if I break it now.

http://coltonfly.com/

Brandon,
this is a reel good thread,no pun intended.For starters by looking for a reel of the size your after i have to ask do you plan or do you already fish the NY tribs for Lakerun Browns/Rainbows,and Kings/Cohos? If you do ,wou can get two bangs for your buck.
Look for a reel that has great backing capacity and that the backing capacity is stated at least 20 lb and will hold a 8 or 9 weight weight foward flyline.
Also look into drag capability,you dont need the drag as much when you are strippin off the reel as you are casting out to stipers or blues bustin bait.But if you latch into a Falso Albie or Bonito,you'll be glad that you did.After the fish takes you can always place a lil more drag on the spool,also as Gfen stated using your hand to "Palm" the reel will help too.
Look for a good saltwater finish or stainless finish,always remeber at the end of the day to take your reel apart..meaning spool from the frame and rinse it really good,also if you have a line stripper take the line off and rinse or clean that as well.Salt water will take and make your line feel like its chalky and slow the slickness down after a day or two of fishing the Saltwater,besides an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
I own three Tibor/ Billy Pate Anti- Reverse Bonefish reels.I bought my first Billy Pate for fishing up on the Salmon River, I was injured in an industrial accident and am a amputee on my left hand,i bought the reel so i wouldn't have to worry about injuring my hand when a fish takes off and you get your knuckles rapped,plus now i can concentrate on fighting the fish or if need be adjusting my drag with out the handle rappin my knuckles. to be continued..

Continued...
After i got this reel the following spring a friend of mine was doing the Saltwater thing and didn't want to spend all the money for himself to go striper fishing,he usually hires a guide for a day or two.So he knew i was looking into the Saltwater thing and I had the Billy Pate already.So I went with him to Mystic Connecticut on a Trip out to Montauk with a so called "Orvis Guide of the Year"they had a great boat,but the so Called Guide of the Year was supposed to take us out wound up shovin us off with his partner who was more gear oriented.I asked tons of questions.To make it short i cuaght one albie a snapper blue and lost one striper,and believe me there were lots of fish all over bustin bait.Just that i was new to the Saltwater Casting and my skill level as really low.The guide we had sucked,the trip was booked for two days,we were headed out on the second day the Gps/Radar went out supposedly.I was really disappointed.
The next year we went to Cape Cod,Wow what a trip,complete reversal of the previous trip.I got educated about rigging,what to do what not to do what flies to use ect.The guide kicked ***.ALso the guide mentioned having three rigs when you fish from a boat,and yeas he has planty of gear and rigs ,But as he said you guys from Pa always want to use your own gear .Lol go figure right?
Well after that trip i bought my second Billy Pate AR bonefish.I bought a reel when i had money,I bought my last Billy Pate Ar bonefish when they offered them in custom colors.I got that one in Olive.
Reason that you have three rigs is when fish are busting bait,you want options and don't want to think about anything except how you are going to get the fish.So you have one rig with a floater ..for using poppers and gurglers.another rig with an intermediate line for shallow presentations this setup is also very good in the surf or jetty situation.and the last rig is a sinking or sinktip setup.when from a boat this will be your workhorse, i also use it on the jetties.
more to follow......

When you are a surf fisherman or a Jetty Jock .unless the vehicle is nearby its kind of redundant to have three rods with you,so for all intent purposes you will want a reel that you can change spools,or carry xtra reels .When i use a boat i bring all three reels ,each with different lines and just swap them out on my rod.i don't use guide rods i prefer my own gear.On the jetty i bring only the Intermediate setup on a reel and the sinking line setup,really in the surf and jetty thats all you need.
If i could conclude.if i wasn't injured i would get a reel that can haave two other spools.A Lamson Liespeed would be my number one choice the are Super light, they have a very fasy pickup ratio for a large arbor and the drag is as good as my Tibor/Billy Pate reels. The new Hard alox finish is bombproof also Salmon river proof.
If i were looking into a Saltwater Anti Reverse, Tibor Billy Pate reels are the standard.,
Brandon if i also may add a side issue, Where it applies to rods, if you ever decide to go, or currently do go Steelhead/Salmon fishing on the Ny Tribs as well as the Salt depends when you fish the ny tribs,If it were me and its not but if it were my choice when kings are around is a 9 weight and sometimes i wish i had a 10 weight.
I currently have GLoomis GL4 9' 9wt 2 pc,thats what i use for Saltwater and for the Salmon River/Niagara.its a great rod for Ny Tribs ,and i am usually fishing up there when the kings are heavy,the rod itself is a lil slow for saltwater but after i get my timing down it throws some line.
If you can look into a GLoomis GL3 10 weight 9' ,that way you will be good both in the salt and the Tribs.If you fish the tribs later a 7 or 8 weights ideal , believe me Steelhead are tough,but the kings are real bullies,and to get the fish in, and back in your spot you need a good heavy rod of a medium fast action.If i could right now purchase a rod just for fishing the salt it would be hands down a Gloomis GLX 9' 9wt or a 10wt. If i were just getting my first Salt/Salmon river{early season} setup it would be a Gloomis GL3 9' 10 weight.
Also I use three different lines in ths Saltwater,of the sinking lines i use #1 Teeny 350 Saltwater folowed by a Airflo Depthfinder 400,for a Intermediate [ slime line] by Monic,Floater...I think its just an old double taper {this line i have never used}.
For all tippet ..Seaguar is " The" standard by which all others are measured by where it pertains to flourocarbon in Saltwater,also some folks like Maxima too.hope this helps any questions Pm me .

Thanks, lonewolve, very insightful. I can see the three rig also incase you get broken off during a blitz and can grab another rod and just toss it at them instead of spending time tying on another fly. Anyone who has fished, or tried to, a blitz knows they can be brief or last a while but usually they chase the bait up or down the beaches. I know years ago I just happened into one, hooked what looked like a striper on spinning with a popper, got him to about 5 ft from me and snapped the line, was a nice size. I grabbed the other rod setup for mullet surf rig, got hammered and then got broken off there as well. I was standing there, steaming and disappointed, all within about three mins. I made the walk of shame back to the house, and probably had a few drinks after that. I didn't feel much like fishing after that and others were out so I let them have a crack at the blitz.

Last year was crappy fishing, windy most days, higher, choppy surf. The blitzes were like 75-100 yrds or more away, just out of casting distance. I did consider going for a swim to cast that far...but I remembered the kid that was fishing in FL I believe that had bait and dead fish hanging from his belt that got nailed by a bull shark, didn't feel like playing with one of those.

Last year was crappy fishing, windy most days, higher, choppy surf. The blitzes were like 75-100 yards or more away, just out of casting distance. I did consider going for a swim to cast that far...but I remembered the kid that was fishing in FL I believe that had bait and dead fish hanging from his belt that got nailed by a bull shark, didn't feel like playing with one of those.

One reason i carry my Alvey setup for Looooooong distance casting. On the beach they are always out to far it seems, got to chase them hoping they push the bait in. ( 4 x 4 needed) I use redington AL's I got when i was with orvis. After replacing the crappy lube in them with good lube I haven't had a problem with salt water fish. ( they were known for a time to burn the drags) just missed a 12/13 one on E-bay. An old medalist 1498 will work for the beach and salmon fishing also. As long as you don't have bait or fish on you shark won't bother ya !! swim out to sand bars and get those fish.

sandfly wrote:
An old medalist 1498 will work for the beach and salmon fishing also.

1495v1498.jpg

1495 on the left, 1498 on the right.

What is a good reel for ____________?

Standard gfen response: "An old medalist"

Problem solved. Next question please.

Kray
Lmao thats a good one.Sorry Gfen but hes got a point.I have never tried a medalist,all my new trout reels are going to be click and pawl from now on.Im thinkin of gettin rid of two reels now ,tibor spring creek and back country wide i may have extra spools too have to look.
Like i said before If ya can get a Lamson Hard Alox Litespeed,its lite,drag is sealed,and great line pickup.If you can afford it and plan on doin Salt alot get a Billy Pate AR.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Back