Decent reel?

skibo5

skibo5

My brother is looking to pick up this reel tonight. Just wondering if anyone has any info or some input on the reel.

http://www.redington.com/prod.php?k=46435&p=RDT5-3039R004&u=Drift

thank you

Looks like a fine reel for trout.

Man, I love reels. I don't get it, but I could just keep buying them even if I don't have anything to mount them on.

There's also the TFO No.1, and the Pflueger 1492.

Or, if you've got some spare cash, the Sage Click reels. I was checking one out at TCO today, but I just can't justify the money for it.

lamson konic, I picked one up this weekend. Very nice reel for the money. Very good Drag for the money, also. They are in same price range.

I have used Orvis Battenkills for years, and never had a problem with them...great reels! Two years ago I bought a Tioga, by Teton, from Jonas. I have been very plaese with it!

PaulG

I'm not a big fan of the Orvis name in general, but I cant deny that the Battenkill my buddy bought me has done everything I asked from it and taken a real beating in the meantime.
Reddingtons appear to be of atleast decent quality in hand, but I simply have never used one on the stream. From what I could tell, theres a very big drop off in quality on their economy models.

Dan, what's wrong with the Orvis name? That is their biggest asset. I associate it with conservation projects (one on the Yellow Breeches they're raising cash for now), and in many categories, they make some fine products. I like their tippet. I've purchased their waders and find that if you buy right (on sale) they are worth what you pay for them every bit as much as Cabelas.

The Orvis name is the one always associated to those "Orvis wearin' snooty flyfishermen".
I like my reel.

Squaretail wrote:
The Orvis name is the one always associated to those "Orvis wearin' snooty flyfishermen".

JackM wrote: (in another thread)
.......but I sometimes remove my vest, pull my tweed sportcoat and pipe from the back pocket, put them on and light up some fine tobacco as I sit on a log and watch/rest a hole.

Need he say more, Dan?

Oh my God. :-o

"......and a river, runs through it."

I always thought fishing with a dog on your shoulder or in your waders was TWEEDY :-D

This post should be on gear talk not this forum IMHO.

Yes, it should, but the guy was seeking urgent advice, so I let it stay on the General Forum. It will be moved soon.

I have Reddingtons, good reels, have Orvis, good reels,bought at the right price.Loomis makes a good reel as well.
One tip when your done fishing back the drags all the way off.Any reel for that matter.

I used to be a huge Orvis fan, first the took ZERO interest in the macro kill on the Little "J" then they hooked up with SRC

then they shipped 99 percent of manufacturing overseas

who needs the dopes

Geez
the thread on forum surveys disappeared?

Now its "Man Of The House"

thats me

Once a name becomes too big, its just not cool anymore.

along the lines of everyone hates walmart, but the stores are always full.

Any reel over $80 is probably a reel that you'll be happy with, in my oppinion.

speaking of reels, just today i busted my new orvis battenkill BBS II on the rocks today fishing a bwo hatch on a spring creek near my house....FML, on the up side i managed to land a nice brown minutes before. i like the battenkills they are a really great reel and come with a garentee. just dont bash em on the rocks ;-)

thanks guys. I have a battenkill reel myself. Absolutely love it. Really looking forward to seeing the reel he bought. 3.9 oz should be cool to handle.

Back