DIY Spool Rack Mod

delta_dog

delta_dog

I just wanted to share a little mod I made to my thread rack that someone might benift from. Im sure alot of members have the standard thread rack that people pick up from the craft stores or walmart for storing your thread. The problem I ran into was I quickly ran out of room on my rack. So I came up with this. It alowed me to have 9 spools per row insted of 5 and from 30 total to 54 total. 24 MORE SPOOLS! What allows this happen is a few PIZZAS. Yes I said pizzas! Well not the pizza but those little plastic supports they put inside pizza boxes to support the lids so it dosent get cheese on it. For those of you who are watchin your weight or dont like pizza you could go to your local pizza place and ask them if they would sell you a few. My pizza place gave me about 25 or 30 for free(just so you know I love pizza thats why I need bigger waders).What you need to do next is drill a hole right in the middle of the plastic and glue on a bead with a hole a little bigger than the dowel. I used 5min epoxy. After that all you have to do is remove every other wooden dowel from your rack and slide them on..... there you have it. If you drilled a big enough hole in the plastic and bead it will rotate when you remove a spool. Which means everytime your done with the thread you removed, the empty slot will always be facing up, so you know where it goes. These can also be used on portable flytying benches or you could mount a few dowles in a scrap piece of wood to keep on your desk for the thread you use most or swap out bundles for differnt patterns. I hope this will be useful to someone.

Attachments

• 0126121443.jpg
    0126121443.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 0126121445.jpg
    0126121445.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 0126121446.jpg
    0126121446.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 3
Very cool idea.

Awesome idea.