Contacting RIO? "Deffective Tippet"

Marv_Levy

Marv_Levy

Last week i bought some 5x powerflex tippet from RIO at a local dicks. The stuff breaks like nothing I have ever seen. I tried to return it to Dicks where i purchased it they wouldn't take it back even with a receipt because it was used. I contacted RIO twice now and have gotten no response back.

Im very frustrated because the tippet is defective or old and has no strength left. I bought the line the same time as my buddy and his works fine.

Has anyone ever tried to contact RIO or any other company for a similar issue or product? Did you have any luck getting your money back or even a reply?

Contact them on FB. Try to privately message them. If no reply, post it on their wall, for everybody to see. You will get a response.

These 3 weeks are the 2 largest fly fishing industry shows... My guess is they are out of the office

IMO Dick's failed you. Who knows how long that's been sitting around. Although, i would think Rio should respond and ask about lot#.

Dick's is hit or miss for me on returns in the past. It's almost store by store. Try going to another store if you have the luxury and trying to take it back.

Our local Dick's would have taken it back.

That said, how old could it be? I just got back into FFing and my 5x and 6x Orvis Super Strong tippet spools each have stickers on them, "Best if used by Sept 2001." I haven't had any issues. Sure, I've only caught two trout, but I've also whipped some flies right out of the trees and have yet to snap anything.

All monofilaments break down in the presence of UV light. It's not how old it is, it's how much UV it's seen.

You could store it in a dark basement for 20 years and it'd probably be ok. But lay a spool in the sun for 2 days and it's toast.

As was said, this is probably not Rio's fault, it's probably Dick's. But Rio should still help you.

not to be contrary, but ozone would have the same effect as UV (both oxidize bonds). But, ozone combined with heat- keep away from heat sources- can degrade it as well. Not as quickly as UV though.

PS. if anyone is uncertain about the age and quality of old mono, don't throw it out. save it for ribbing when tying flies. It rarely degrades so much that it is unusable for this purpose

Hey guys RIO got back to me today they apologized for not replying to my 1st message. They are going to replace it all i have to do is send it back.

BTW I am done buying my tippet at Dicks. Like nymphing said who knows this stuff could of been 2 years old for sitting by window for all i know. I don't see my local dicks selling tons of fly fishing stuff. Its a real tiny section.

I once dropped my tippet on a scorching summer day went back 2 days later and found my tippet on the trail and it was done the UV rays make it into tissue paper all the strength was gone. Very similar to what i experienced with my Dicks tippet

so am i so am ive been using RIO tippet forever and would hate to switch because they angered me lol

Knowing what U.V. light does to tippet material...

Why would anyone use one of those fancy tippet spool holders on their vest or pack. You know the ones that display the fact that you are carrying 200 dollars of tippet and can afford to expose it to the sun. I doubt many remember tippet material Tortue. I still have a spool that is useable. Keep tippet material inside pockets.

Just a thought.....

Hmm...I have 2 spools of tippet on my lanyard, but the plastic is dark and they each have an elastic band that covers the sides. I'm not sure I've seen anyone with the side exposed, but I guess it's possible. I made my spool holder and it actually has a plastice piece to cover the top of the spools, just in case.

The question is more like: knowing light is bad for tippet, why do companies send them out in clear plastic baggies???

I'm not loyal to one brand over another, but have noticed that Orvis packages their leaders in paper envelopes and not clear plastic. Even on the shelf, in clear plastic, RIO and other tippets are exposed to the flourescent and other lighting within the store. And to make matters worse, their turnover probably isn't great.

Like I said earlier, my Orvis Super Strong tippet is labeled to be used by September 2001 and I've had no issues with it. RIO might consider repackaging, although that would be a cost vs complaint analysis for them.

Josey, take my advice and get rid of that old tippet. You may regret not doing so if you hook into a nice trout and he breaks off. Hey, tippet is cheap. I use RIO myself and have never had any problems. I use fluro and mono both. The mono I keep in a pocket inside my vest so it's not exposed to light. The fluro hangs on a tippet holder on the outside. I use mono for drys and fluro for nymphing.

Yeah, I have to settle on a particular brand/type, then I'll pick some up. I've only hooked a few small trout, but some pretty big trees and rocks! So far it's help up well and I got my fly back everytime. But I'll pick out something soon.

I swtiched to Umpqua leader/tippet material. I had a few spools of RIO that broke while cinching the knot right out of the store, and noticed the Umpqua. No problems with that brand, and have been using it with zero problems for a couple of years. I do use a blood knot to tie tippet sections, and that helps quite a bit.

I bought an Orvis leader kit way back when, and was using spools with labels that were past their prime by years. I don't leave leader material in sunlight, not even on my tying desk. While fishing, I keep spools inside my vest pocket. Having said that, I've been rebuilding the same few knotted leaders all year...LOL! I just trim back to 0X, and then tie down to whatever. I usually cut off the last section every one or two trips, but it's pretty well torn up from the rock strewn stream bottom I fish most often.

Having had worked at Dicks Sporting Goods for a few years I can tell you this....You have no idea how long it has been in the back before they find the misplaced box and then decide to put it out on the floor.

If you're looking for a change...

SA is making some really nice tippet

thebassman wrote:
Having had worked at Dicks Sporting Goods for a few years I can tell you this....You have no idea how long it has been in the back before they find the misplaced box and then decide to put it out on the floor.

oh i can believe it lol

Back