Cold weather/water gear

C

CAMBYSES

Last year I started fly fishing in early February and I will most likely fish through the winter this year.

The gear I used last year was an Old pair of Pro-Line 3mm Neo waders. (deceased)
and I would just layer as much as I could to keep warm. It didn't work to well and if I fell I was gonna be in trouble with all the cotton layers I had on.

My question is what are some suggestions from those of you with a bit more experience in this matter with regards to outerwear, gloves and layering?

Thanks

Bob

The best suggestion as far as layering goes that I can offer is to make sure that the first layer of material on your skin is anything but cotton. It will absorb moisture, and in the winter make you cold. Wools, fleeces, nylon, anything that wicks. Socks, especially, but also pants and shirts. Fleeces are excellent for layering. They're light and they wick away moisture and they're warm.

As far as hats and gloves goes, I like a fleece hat and fleece gloves. I use the fingerless gloves, but plan on getting the ones with the fold over mits this winter.

You will need to determine how warm you need to be and layer accordingly. I am warmer natured, so generally, I use a medium weight pair of fleece lined pants and then a heavy weight fleece over top in the winter. A liner pair of socks and then a heavy weight pair of socks are good in the winter for me. On top, I'll wear a liner shirt or sometimes a Under Armor Cold Gear top and a fleece over top. Then either a fleece vest, jacket or a wading jacket depending on conditions and temperature.

As far as waders...I use lightweights year round but layer accordlingly. Lightweights are much more comfortable during the spring/fall than neoprenes. I have contemplated getting neoprenes for the winter, but they would be stockingfoot not boot foot. Bootfoots are warmer than stockingfoot so they are ideal for the winter. The drawback to bootfoots are they are cumbersome, less comfortable and can be heavier than stockingfoots.

Hope that helps.

I use fingerless rag wool gloves. If its too cold for that, its too cold to fish. Like JayBo, I wear my breathables through the winter maybe adding longjohns and fleece pants. On top I might wear a fleece jacket with a goretex shell overtop.

Thank you both for the info it is very helpful!

I am pleased to read that you both wear light weight waders through the winter, because I really didn't want to buy a new pair.

I have a pair of fleece liner pants and a nice heavy pair of socks, I also purchased fleece glacier gloves today with the fold able thumb and pointer finger. thank you again for the info and I will search for a nice liner shirt for the winter!

Thanks again

Bob

Just to serve as a few examples for you...

Redington makes a nice lightweight top that's perfect for a liner for all seasons. Their stuff is reasonably priced and performs well.

My favorite top, although on the espensive side is by Simms. Perfect for fall and winter.

This one is good too.

Over top any of these, I'll go with a heavier weight fleece for insulation and wicking. On top of that, I'll wear a vest, or some sort of shell type jacket. LL Bean makes some nice softshells that are priced well and will perform. Plus you've got the LL Bean guarantee.

Not saying you've got to get any of these to find good products, but these will give you an idea of what works and what to look for. As an example, I had been using underarmor boxer briefs to work out with, and also for underwear when fishing. I found performance underwear at Kohls for 1/2 the price that I actually think are better. They are much more breathable. Same thing for wicking tops. I found some Champion t-shirts for working out at Target, 9 bucks compared to 30 for one with a swoosh. Look around if price is a concern there are alternatives. With that said, the Simms Rivertek shirt is worth it's weight in gold. By far my favorite shirt to wear to serve as a layer.

As for socks, I like the smart wool type of socks with a liner sock. Nylon dress socks are the cheapest way to go and they work very well pulling moisture away from your skin. I've got a few pair of liners, but the dress socks are too cheap to pass up and perform well.

The key from there is to test out what you have and see how warm or cold you are. Add or remove layers as needed, but always be sure to stay away from cotton and you should be good. Comfort is key to spending long days on the water!

you can go with silk for the base layer, then fleece, then an outer layer..works great for cold weather...I'll be out on the finger lake tribs this winter chasin landlocks and browns..

Here's a nice article on cold weather trout fishing, including tactis, gear and clothing.

Your feet will be the biggest problem.
A pair of neoprene boot foot waders with a boot foot large enough to wiggle your feet while wearing under sox made for hiking and wool sox.
You do not want your feet to sweat on the way to the river or while wading.Dry feet are a must for a comfortable days fishing so use talc or anything it takes.Your question brings back memories of the real agony of freezing feet and not wanting to leave the water and miss fishing.Eventually I would have to, to get feeling back.
Keep your feet and head warm and the rest is easy.Wool watch caps under a hood.
A vest under the jacket is a winner as it keeps the chest area warm while not bulking your arms.

Fleece pants under my jeans, wool knee socks, breathable waders for the lower body. Upper body is a thermal shirt, teeshirt, zipped hooded sweatshirt, and an old coat. I wear a wool hat and use wool fold over fingerless mittens.

This setup usually gets me sweating on all but the coldest days, but I was happy to have it when I got caught in a brutal lake effect event last november on a salmon river trib. No matter what I wear on my legs, it still feels like I'm walking on stilts after about an hour in the water. Your legs are just going to get semi cold no matter what.

Oh, and jeagermeister. Grow a beard too.

If you plan to do alot of winter fishing I would invest in neoprene bootfoots. If not so much, than layer under lightweights.

Flannel lined jeans...I fish in them, hunt in them, shovel the driveway and ski in them...nothin' better. Personally I like stocking foot neoprenes as boot foots are rather clumsy to walk in the snow with. The absolute best advice I could give you on winter wear is do two things...first wear a hat and two keep your core warm. If the brain and vital organs are warm, the body won't divert energy away from your fingers and toes. If those two areas stay warm it all stays warm.

Tom makes a good point about hiking in snow. My felt bottomed boots turn in to 10 inch platform shoes when it's snowing hard. They seem to pick everything frozen up, and it has actually caused me to take some nasty spills on long hikes.

Aquastealth soled wading boots are good for hiking in snow. I got the kind with studs. With studs, there isn't much your going to slip on!

I have an old pair of those and they are great..they are on their last leg though and I use them only for winter now. I wish more makers offered that sole.

Lots of great tips on this thread, here's another, a little pricey, but worth it. UnderArmour coldgear!! Use it as a base layer with fleece. Don't forget the fleece hat, your heads warm, then so are your feet,, most of the time.
JH

I just found a good price on military specification ECW thermal underwear. It is heavy weight 100% polypropylene.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/ecws-polypro-underwear.htm

My set is due in today. I'll let you know how I like them. I'm planning on Steelheading once or twice through the winter and wanted to give the polypro thing a try.

Lots of good ideas laced through this thread...I'll summarize my thoughts by highlighting what others have said.

Jaybo's got it down for the most part. I also agree with Petes bootfoot wader although they don't need to be neoprene.

Polypropelene against the skin to wick out moisture. Fleece as a second layer should be all you need under waders and coat. For coats, if its above 30 and dry out (not raining, snow is ok) I just wear anothe fleece overshirt or fleece jacket. Under 30 with wind I but on a shell to break the wind. Something breathable is best.

For the feet, PP sock liners are a must with heavy wool socks. Liners wick out moisture keeping feet dry, wool holds moisture. warmth of feet warm moisture and keep your feet warm. If you have an insulator outside your wool sock this works. If your boots are too tight you lose the Insul factor and the plan fails. Roomy bootfoots are the best.

Cotton is the enemy! Allowing moisture to remain against the skin will bring your body temp down fast.

I use fingerless rag wool gloves, My hands are in and out of the water all the time. I just squeeze out the water and the warmth of your hand warms the wet wool gloves and keeps your hands warm.

Carry a few pair. and change them when your hands get cold. Stay away from those flip-over gloves with flaps and velcro. They will play havoc with your line. It is difficult enough to maneuver your line with gloves on without the flaps and velcro catching and holding onto your line. You will see that this soon becomes the focus of your day...untangling your line from the back of your hands. I cut the flaps off my rag ones and keep a heavy pair with the flaps in case I take a break from fishing. When I begin again, off they come.

For my head, I have a head sock. Which is a pullover fleece tube you can get at ski shops. These are the bomb. You need to keep your head, ears and neck warm. If you lose one of these the whole plan goes to hell.

If you feel your self getting cold do some walking, wiggling your toes, etc.

The only thing you need to worry about is your feet>>>>> Buy yourself a nice thick pair of Filson socks they are best thing you could ever buy for winter fishing . Everyone I know that has a pair including me swears buy them so check them out ..... :-D

Fredrick wrote:
The only thing you need to worry about is your feet

And why are your feet cold? Because you aren't keeping your head and your vital organs warm so you body is sending all the blood to those areas and not sending as much warm blood to your feet because they aren't important for survival.

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/29/1728_68023.htm

OK Tom you are correct in a way ....But I can fish alot longer on a stream when my upper torso and head is cold . Than when my feet are frozen and every step I take hurts. And for the most part your feet will be in freezing water the whole time so I feel that they will need the most protection. And I own all the other equipment that is used to keep you warm on the stream but they do you no good if you can't get to your winter fishing hole because everytime you step you are in pain :-D

Back