Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Cold weather/water gear
From Monessen, PA
I just found a good price on military specification ECW thermal underwear. It is heavy weight 100% polypropylene.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/ecws-polypro-underwear.htm

My set is due in today. I'll let you know how I like them. I'm planning on Steelheading once or twice through the winter and wanted to give the polypro thing a try.

Posted on: 2007/9/24 6:38

From Dallastown, PA
Lots of good ideas laced through this thread...I'll summarize my thoughts by highlighting what others have said.

Jaybo's got it down for the most part. I also agree with Petes bootfoot wader although they don't need to be neoprene.

Polypropelene against the skin to wick out moisture. Fleece as a second layer should be all you need under waders and coat. For coats, if its above 30 and dry out (not raining, snow is ok) I just wear anothe fleece overshirt or fleece jacket. Under 30 with wind I but on a shell to break the wind. Something breathable is best.

For the feet, PP sock liners are a must with heavy wool socks. Liners wick out moisture keeping feet dry, wool holds moisture. warmth of feet warm moisture and keep your feet warm. If you have an insulator outside your wool sock this works. If your boots are too tight you lose the Insul factor and the plan fails. Roomy bootfoots are the best.

Cotton is the enemy! Allowing moisture to remain against the skin will bring your body temp down fast.

I use fingerless rag wool gloves, My hands are in and out of the water all the time. I just squeeze out the water and the warmth of your hand warms the wet wool gloves and keeps your hands warm.

Carry a few pair. and change them when your hands get cold. Stay away from those flip-over gloves with flaps and velcro. They will play havoc with your line. It is difficult enough to maneuver your line with gloves on without the flaps and velcro catching and holding onto your line. You will see that this soon becomes the focus of your day...untangling your line from the back of your hands. I cut the flaps off my rag ones and keep a heavy pair with the flaps in case I take a break from fishing. When I begin again, off they come.

For my head, I have a head sock. Which is a pullover fleece tube you can get at ski shops. These are the bomb. You need to keep your head, ears and neck warm. If you lose one of these the whole plan goes to hell.

If you feel your self getting cold do some walking, wiggling your toes, etc.

Posted on: 2007/9/24 8:40

From Delaware Co.
The only thing you need to worry about is your feet>>>>> Buy yourself a nice thick pair of Filson socks they are best thing you could ever buy for winter fishing . Everyone I know that has a pair including me swears buy them so check them out .....

Posted on: 2007/9/24 9:25

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:
The only thing you need to worry about is your feet

And why are your feet cold? Because you aren't keeping your head and your vital organs warm so you body is sending all the blood to those areas and not sending as much warm blood to your feet because they aren't important for survival.

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/29/1728_68023.htm

Posted on: 2007/9/24 11:38

From Delaware Co.
OK Tom you are correct in a way ....But I can fish alot longer on a stream when my upper torso and head is cold . Than when my feet are frozen and every step I take hurts. And for the most part your feet will be in freezing water the whole time so I feel that they will need the most protection. And I own all the other equipment that is used to keep you warm on the stream but they do you no good if you can't get to your winter fishing hole because everytime you step you are in pain

Posted on: 2007/9/24 12:11

I am with you Fredrick.
Anybody who has spent a great deal of time wade[wader] fishing in high to mid 30s water knows its the FEET-FEET-FEET and no one can tell you differently.Since some of the very best fishing in Montana was in January and Feb. I had the clothes down to the best possible for the job and allow mobility but the feet would bring tears to your eyes.Get out and walk around and back at it.

Posted on: 2007/9/24 20:07

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
I just found a good price on military specification ECW thermal underwear. It is heavy weight 100% polypropylene.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/ecws-polypro-underwear.htm

My set is due in today. I'll let you know how I like them. I'm planning on Steelheading once or twice through the winter and wanted to give the polypro thing a try.

Well, the size on the ones I got for me were too small, but they fit Gino well, so I am sending his set back to get a larger size for me. Though they were tight on me, I tried them on and think they will work famously. The inside nap was fleece-like and outside was smooth and shiny. These are not thin like "underarmour." I think a wool pant or one made of synthetic material over these and then into a pair of breathable waders will be all that's needed down into the teens, though I ain't breakin' no ice this year.

Posted on: 2007/9/25 6:12

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com